How do you feel about Thursday Night Football?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
TNF has evolved from a Thanksgiving-to-end-of-season sprint (2006-2007), a half-season event (2008-2011) to the full fledged marathon that is has been since 2012.

There have been a lot of different things about Thursday Night Football (announcers, networks, the Color Rush uniform experiment of 2015-2016), but Thursday Night is now seemingly a football night along with Sunday and Monday.

While some have complained about teams not having enough time to recover from Sunday games and play on short weeks, but the numbers and ratings have held up to the point where it is now becoming almost as routine as NBA Thursday TNT games or Saturday Night Hockey in Canada.

Occasionally, you can pop a big number (DAL/MIN 2016, DAL/NO last year, GB/DAL 2007), but does it feel like the NFL is doing this for the sake of viewers/money/ratings over quality football or was this inevitable?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's a mixed bag for me. On one hand I think it's really obvious that the quality of football isn't the same as Sunday/Monday games, but on the other hand it's an extra game to watch, which is never a bad thing.

Reactions: fin8

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I want to like. I really do. A game to hold me over till Sunday? Hell yeah.

It just feels like the games routinely stink.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a mixed bag for me. On one hand I think it's really obvious that the quality of football isn't the same as Sunday/Monday games, but on the other hand it's an extra game to watch, which is never a bad thing.
If they added an extra bye week before the Thursday game for the participants, it would be fine. Just means pushing the SB back from the 2-5th of the Feb to the 9-13th.

Reactions: Crossfire Hurricane

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It really makes no sense to kill it except for only opening night and Thanksgiving. That's a tremendous competitive disadvantage, and is likely one of the reasons why it is not only Thanksgiving. It's otherwise too much money.

The correct answer is to create an extra bye week the week before for teams playing it. Eliminate the short week by not playing at all. Extend the season by a week without increasing the number of games, creating more revenue. That leaves a crunch in Week 2 because no one wants a bye week then, but they'll figure it out.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoy having the option to watch football on a Thursday but also understand that for the good of the game it needs to go

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If they are going to stay with TNF and they are, make no mistake, I'd be open to going to an 18 week season with 2 byes each. Every team can have 1 bye before there TNF appearance to improve the quality of play. I know that makes for some weird things like week 2 or 3 byes, but I think it makes sense. Another week of football equals more revenue for the teams and another week of rest is better for the players and hopefully improves the quality of play.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I don't mind TNF, but they should make it where it doesn't happen until week 9 like it was before.

That means you get good games

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I don't mind it. Still think they need to tweak it so that teams coming off a bye are the teams to play on Thursday night (This obviously wouldn't work in the first few weeks of the season so maybe have the teams that played at 1 PM on Sunday in the Thursday games for those weeks)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't mind it. Still think they need to tweak it so that teams coming off a bye are the teams to play on Thursday night (This obviously wouldn't work in the first few weeks of the season so maybe have the teams that played at 1 PM on Sunday in the Thursday games for those weeks)
If they gave an extra bye week then maybe you don’t start TNF until week 3. 18 week season and no TNF in the final week.

Remember there are 3 thanksgiving day games so if everyone is playing on Thursday once you only need 14 weeks of TNF out of your 18 week season. So no TNF for weeks 2, 3, 17, 18.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The correct answer is to create an extra bye week the week before for teams playing it. Eliminate the short week by not playing at all. Extend the season by a week without increasing the number of games, creating more revenue. That leaves a crunch in Week 2 because no one wants a bye week then, but they'll figure it out.

If they are going to keep it they should do it this way. But since it makes sense Goodell will be like ya know we are good. 3 days rest is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->