How do you dweebs say crayon?

How do you pronounce crayon?

• Total voters

beebuzz

Nov 30, 2018
The only time I say cran is if I'm ordering a vodka cran, not ordering my cray-ons at the kiddie table.

Reactions: valeriammm

member 157595

cran

i feel like northeasterners/westerners/urban midwesterners say cran and everyone else says cray-on.

i cannot remember a single teacher of mine ever pronouncing it cray-on.

Who says cran in the NE? I was born and raised in NY and live in MA. Literally never heard a single person say it that way growing up.

member 157595

I'm from North Jersey, specifically closer to Manhattan than anyone in Long Island. I and my peers have pronounced it cran literally forever.

Wow, interesting. I'm now genuinely curious about this.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Wow, interesting. I'm now genuinely curious about this.

It's an inexplicable annunciation thing where we like to abbreviate the last syllable into the word if it's still phonetically intelligible, I think, at least for me.

This likely stems from Bayonne being "bay-OWN" and Trenton being "trent'n."

Saying "cray-ON" is as forced and unnatural to me as pronouncing the L in "talk" as an L and not a W as in "tawk."

Also, yes, I say "WAWD-er" for water and "KAWF-ee" for coffee. The Jersey accent (which isn't thick at all and only comes out on certain words as I discussed) is something I'm proud of.

Last edited:

member 157595

It's an inexplicable annunciation thing where we like to abbreviate the last syllable into the word if it's still phonetically intelligible, I think, at least for me.

This likely stems from Bayonne being "bay-OWN" and Trenton being "trent'n."

Saying "cray-ON" is as forced and unnatural to me as pronouncing the L in "talk" as an L and not a W as in "tawk."

Also, yes, I say "WAWD-er" for water and "KAWF-ee" for coffee. The Jersey accent (which isn't thick at all and only comes out on certain words as I discussed) is something I'm proud of.

Curious and on my lunch break, I took the New York Times accent quiz, thinking it couldn't possibly be that accurate. Sure enough:
accent.png

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

Nope, not a Giants fan nor [nearly that] overweight like Carl. :laugh: (I'm actually some freak who's a Packers fan even though I've lived within 25 minutes of the Meadowlands my entire life.)

That shit is wild accurate, though. I'm literally sitting at my desk in Jersey City right now. I'm in Newark several times a week during hockey/college basketball season. I guess it confirms that I indeed have the classic Jersey accent. (I don't say "youse," but I *always* address a group as "you guys.")

member 157595

Nope, not a Giants fan nor [nearly that] overweight like Carl. :laugh: (I'm actually some freak who's a Packers fan even though I've lived within 25 minutes of the Meadowlands my entire life.)

That **** is wild accurate, though. I guess it confirms that I indeed have the classic Jersey accent. (I don't say "youse," but I *always* address a group as "you guys.")

I'm not a fan of any of my local teams, though I've stopped watching the NFL for the most part. My favorite NHL team isn't even American.

I also love that both your map and mine capture the flood of Tri-State snowbirds living in South Florida, especially yours. From experience (I lived in South Florida at one point), that is pretty accurate.

Reactions: New Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->