Advice: How do you deal with goons/pests?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Security Perimeter, Presence and Awareness

Based on 59 seasons experience in hockey.

When a player or a team steps on the ice they are entitled to play in a safe and secure environment. This will not be given to the player by the opposition nor should any help from on ice or league officials be expected.

Presence and awareness

Presence. You are on the ice to play hockey. Carry yourself in this manner. Avoid nonsense suggest upthread - pointing at the scoreboard, staring contests - looking beyond the player is more effective since the message is clearly conveyed that they are insignificant not worthy of your attention, etc. Same reason why yappers should be ignored plus yapping back distracts from playing hockey.

Awareness. At all times you should know which opposition players and teammates are on the ice and how they play. You do not need a scouting report, just the ability to pay attention to little details. Example check how the butt end of each opponents stick is taped. Right at the top they are unlikely to butt end you. Lower make a mental note.

Security perimeter.

You are entitled to a security perimeter within your reach. Certain inconveniences should be viewed as advantages. The light hook, jersey tug, etc. tells you where your opponent is and how he (from which side) you will be played. This will allow you to leverage situations. Learn how to use your hands and arms to leverage within reach. Watch short track speed skaters to see how a light hand touch cornering works.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Based on 59 seasons experience in hockey.

When a player or a team steps on the ice they are entitled to play in a safe and secure environment. This will not be given to the player by the opposition nor should any help from on ice or league officials be expected.

Presence and awareness

Presence. You are on the ice to play hockey. Carry yourself in this manner. Avoid nonsense suggest upthread - pointing at the scoreboard, staring contests - looking beyond the player is more effective since the message is clearly conveyed that they are insignificant not worthy of your attention, etc. Same reason why yappers should be ignored plus yapping back distracts from playing hockey.

Awareness. At all times you should know which opposition players and teammates are on the ice and how they play. You do not need a scouting report, just the ability to pay attention to little details. Example check how the butt end of each opponents stick is taped. Right at the top they are unlikely to butt end you. Lower make a mental note.

Security perimeter. You are entitled to a security perimeter within your reach. Certain inconveniences should be viewed as advantages. The light hook, jersey tug, etc. tells you where your opponent is and how he (from which side) you will be played. This will allow you to leverage situations. Learn how to use your hands and arms to leverage within reach. Watch short track speed skaters to see how a light hand touch cornering works.

I think the awareness is the biggest thing to avoid any sort of chaos in hockey. When I'm on the bench I'm watching the game, I'm watching the other team and I always know who is who. Who do I need to worry about as far as getting hit or taking a cheap shot.? Who can I mess with psychologically to get them off their game if I need to? Who are the nice guys who just want to play hockey? And who are the crazy guys that I need to avoid? Then when I get on the ice when the faceoff comes I look around and see who's on the ice. Do I need to worry about playing defense more or can I take chances offensively? Are the other guys slow or fast? Danglers? You also need to know who you have a history with. Have I taken liberties with somebody before? Does somebody want to get even with me? The total awareness seems to have helped me play 20 years of rec league and avoid any sort of major injury as a result of a cheap shot or hit. I know when I go into the corners that even though it's a no check league hockey is still dangerous, be prepared to take a hit regardless. Hockey also has some crazy characters, do not step on the ice thinking everything is cool and there is no way you can get hurt.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Honestly, if it's adult rec league...there shouldn't be any pests. It's rec league. Okay, maybe at the highest levels if there's checking and maybe even fighting allowed, but for no check rec league?

Trash talking and mild cheap shotting in RECREATIONAL hockey? Regularly enough to be labeled a "pest"?

That to me smacks of a guy who watched too much NHL and pretends to be a pro. The scrum around the goalie after a whistle is an example. Come on, what are you going to do with a cage on when you're going home to the wife and kids at midnight?

There's really just three types of players in rec league:

1. Players that should be at a lower level
2. Players that should be at a higher level
3. Players that are at the right level

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
To me it all depends on how big and tough the rest of the team is. If they have some big guys Id leave it alone BUT if the team was smallish and nobody I feared i'd cheap shot the pest badly, try to break his wrist with a slash or sneaky Bure elbow to the chin.

Have to know when to pick your battles in the hockey world.

Your trying to hard if your going to break a guys wrist.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
To me it all depends on how big and tough the rest of the team is. If they have some big guys Id leave it alone BUT if the team was smallish and nobody I feared i'd cheap shot the pest badly, try to break his wrist with a slash or sneaky Bure elbow to the chin.

Have to know when to pick your battles in the hockey world.

That's a good way to get jumped in the parking lot

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
^
that's the one thing that really bugs me about some rec league players. it seems like people forget that minimal contact such as pushing off or shoving is part of the game and take the smallest little shove as a signal to start something

i can't remember how many times i've made minimal contact with another player and had that same player come after me trying to start something. unless a player is targeting you throughout the game or comes after you with a dirty hit, there is absolutely no reason to start a fight in beer league

It's a non-checking league...not a no contact league. I expect contact and certainly do my share of pushing and shoving. What I don't do is throw my body weight behind anything and I certainly don't explode into anything. After all, this is hockey not chess.

Last edited:

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Thanks for the replies! There is a lot of good stuff here.

I am mostly happy with my reaction in not feeding them and concentrating on the game. I also wrote the league co-ordinator and gave him a heads up. Apparently they have a bit of a record with this stuff.

It is in a summer development league (in Australia). I am in my late 20's and these guys looked late teens / early 20's. It is the lowest level of hockey I play. Some kids that are on the team are 15 and us older players are meant to act as mentors to them, talking to them when off the ice and setting an example in general. For me to see this at this level of hockey was pretty dumbfounding.

I think in the future I'll probably stay the course of just focusing on my game whilst knowing when pests are on the ice. Pointing to the scoreboard would have made a lot of sense given the situation and will do that next time as an example for the kids on my team for what to do if they are ever targeted.

Their attempts at mucking about after the play were not very worrisome, it's just I remember when I was skating up into the play through the neutral zone as the trailer, slipped by one of them (who was not facing the play at all and had his legs really wide to catch my knee) and just realised after some contact to my leg that I thought "Holy sheez, did that creep just try to take out my knee??).

Curiously, where are you playing?

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I'm in Brisbane, just curious. Back on topic I'd just ignore everything and then after you've scored skate past and say (mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad