Goalies: How do you control rebounds?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Body control and movements. I'm not a goalie, but a good friend of mine was a pro in Europe and despite being a center, he was a high level goalie coach too. If you have a shot low from the middle of the slot and you're able to make a leg pad save, it's about controlling the timing and force of the leg and when it contacts the puck. Being completely still when you make a save will not even give you rebound control, unless it's really bad angle shot, then good positioning can often keep it toward the corner.

I know that's a basic example but I hope it gets you the idea.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Body control and movements. I'm not a goalie, but a good friend of mine was a pro in Europe and despite being a center, he was a high level goalie coach too. If you have a shot low from the middle of the slot and you're able to make a leg pad save, it's about controlling the timing and force of the leg and when it contacts the puck. Being completely still when you make a save will not even give you rebound control, unless it's really bad angle shot, then good positioning can often keep it toward the corner.

I know that's a basic example but I hope it gets you the idea.

Pretty much this. It's all about positioning and stick work. Any shot along the ice needs to be angled into a corner with a slight angling of the stick. And shot into the leg pads needs to be absorbed with good positioning for an easy cover or angled into the corner if possible.

Shots into the chest can be controlled with proper body positioning and good hand eye coordination to catch the puck before it falls to the ice.

But yea, rebound control is all about solid fundamentals and positioning. It's probably the easiest thing to learn, but the hardest to master.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Most everything's been touched on already, but I'd recommend being familiar with your individual pads. Different pads will do different things with pucks. Some will deaden pucks, some with harder materials will push them out more. Every goalie should know his pads.

I'd recommend when giving up bad rebounds to let your defense clear it if possible. Be like a wall and resist the urge to pounce on a puck as that can open you up for easy goals.

I'd say the best way to learn rebound control is just to get out there with a friend. You'll learn the fundamentals of it REALLY fast, but like the last poster said, it will be hard to master especially in a game situation. Start with your friend shooting pucks against the ice softly and learn how to deflect the puck with your stick, then same thing with pad, then keep having your friend kick it up a notch shooting harder and higher.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Practice, and experimentation. Each goalie handles it differently. I used my stick quite a bit to send it to the corner, and I pulled my leg pads back an inch or so at the last second to sort of catch the puck, or at the last second turn the the pad so the puck moves to the side of the net or the corner.

It is hard to do any of this when out of position or if the play is moving to fast for you. So, if you are struggling at first keep at it and eventually you have it at game speed.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I find for me personally, controling rebounds is more mental than anything else. Obviously you need good positioning and good mecanics.

However, when I am focused and tracking the puck well I always get the best results. When the mental part breaks down and the focus goes away. The control in your rebounds is extremely difficult as you are simply trying to make asave rather than control it.

It happens to every goalie. Your team has a bad night or a few bounces that didn't go your way and maybe as a goalie to start trying to do too much or get down on yourself and it ends up being counter productive.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I find for me personally, controling rebounds is more mental than anything else. Obviously you need good positioning and good mecanics.

However, when I am focused and tracking the puck well I always get the best results. When the mental part breaks down and the focus goes away. The control in your rebounds is extremely difficult as you are simply trying to make asave rather than control it.

It happens to every goalie. Your team has a bad night or a few bounces that didn't go your way and maybe as a goalie to start trying to do too much or get down on yourself and it ends up being counter productive.

Definitely a big part of it is visual tracking. It takes a lot of mental discipline to watch every shot into your pad/glove/body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad