How do we get rid of Bobrovsky?

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Yes you are buddy

Seems pretty normal that when your supposed to be star goalie is average at best for more than a season people starting criticizing him. Don't think that is any kind of extreme.

I mean last season when he sucked you were saying that Bob would be great. Now you are down to being satisfied with "average".

There was never a chance he would be 10 Mio a year (long term) good but if he was just making half of that we would be having the same discussion.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Seems pretty normal that when your supposed to be star goalie is average at best for more than a season people starting criticizing him. Don't think that is any kind of extreme.

I mean last season when he sucked you were saying that Bob would be great. Now you are down to being satisfied with "average".

There was never a chance he would be 10 Mio a year (long term) good but if he was just making half of that we would be having the same discussion.

I'm not satisfied, and I think he can be better, but am I happy he's trending in the right direction? Yes.

I don't care how much he makes, because I know he's overpaid and will never live up to the contract. But if he can get to 4 or 5M good, then I'll be content. That means the Panthers would be a pretty great team.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don’t like Bob’s GAA but I like the points from his games and I like that the last two games he’s been trending in the right direction and basically helped the team get 3 points instead of 0. Bob is playing at a higher level now, hope he keeps it up.

I like Driedger’s GAA and I like the points from his games but I don’t like the last two games he’s been trending in the wrong direction. Hope he doesn’t slide further.

Bob’s contract isn’t the fault of the guys in charge of the on ice product currently, but I think they’re making the best of the situation. Coach Q is handling it super well. I find no reason to bitch and moan currently. (That may change.)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't care how much he makes, because I know he's overpaid and will never live up to the contract. But if he can get to 4 or 5M good, then I'll be content. That means the Panthers would be a pretty great team.

Can't really say you don't care if they aren't able to extend someone like Huberdeau because of Bob's deal. Him not playing up to par is just part of a much bigger problem related to cap management.

I still think he can rebound though, there's nothing physically wrong with him. At some point he should get his head straight.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Can't really say you don't care if they aren't able to extend someone like Huberdeau because of Bob's deal. Him not playing up to par is just part of a much bigger problem related to cap management.

I still think he can rebound though, there's nothing physically wrong with him. At some point he should get his head straight.

There are a few bad contracts but not many. Bob's contract won't get in the way of re-signing Huby. Horny, Connolly, Yandle's, and Gudas' deals all expire in 2023, when Huby's new deal would kick in. That's more than enough to cover Huby's deal. And it's a good bet not all of those guys will still be with the Panthers by the time those deals end. Plus Darling's buyout and Lu's recapture end in a couple years. We'll have decent flexibility by 2023 even if the cap is still flat. And in 2024 they likely buy Bob's last two years out so that makes our cap situation even better.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
There are a few bad contracts but not many. Bob's contract won't get in the way of re-signing Huby. Horny, Connolly, Yandle's, and Gudas' deals all expire in 2023, when Huby's new deal would kick in. That's more than enough to cover Huby's deal. And it's a good bet not all of those guys will still be with the Panthers by the time those deals end. Plus Darling's buyout and Lu's recapture end in a couple years. We'll have decent flexibility by 2023 even if the cap is still flat. And in 2024 they likely buy Bob's last two years out so that makes our cap situation even better.

Well the point is it's basically a ton of dead cap. Someone will not get signed/extended because of his deal. But it is what it is, hopefully he can rebound.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well the point is it's basically a ton of dead cap. Someone will not get signed/extended because of his deal. But it is what it is, hopefully he can rebound.

The worst that happens is Horny or Gudas doesn't get extended. In Horny's case I would think he would have to take a cheaper deal anyway seeing as he'll be 37. It would hurt to lose either guy, but it wouldn't kill us.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bob's already a #2 at best and it's not going to get much better. Whenever Knight makes the jump, the starter job will be his to lose.
Maybe, maybe not. Bob’s timing is getting better and he’s playing better. He might surprise you yet. I think he will.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That's some mental gymnastic. He's 7 or 8M overpaid (at the very least). Whoever comes off the book is meaningless, that's still 7 or 8M that isn't coming off the book and could be used for a player with a positive impact on the team. That's almost Pietrangelo's cap hit.

Canucks fan here to say I totally understand albatross contracts, but it’s not like you signed Loui Eriksson. Bobrovsky can still play. Maybe not Vezina caliber, but I’d rather have him than an Eriksson or a Jeff Skinner.
Holtby+Eriksson for Bob, take him off our hand please. I hope Benning thinks like you, he does love to overpay over the hill players.

Reactions: I am not exposed

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Maybe, maybe not. Bob’s timing is getting better and he’s playing better. He might surprise you yet. I think he will.
Yeah, he's about an average backup nowadays, it's a solid improvement but I really don't expect him to play like a starter top 25 starter for a full season ever again. So I really don't see any ways that Bob blocks Knight, unless Levi or Bednard, somehow, beat him the the NHL.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah, he's about an average backup nowadays, it's a solid improvement but I really don't expect him to play like a starter top 25 starter for a full season ever again. So I really don't see any ways that Bob blocks Knight, unless Levi or Bednard, somehow, beat him the the NHL.
I disagree. The last 3 games he’s been way better than an average backup. For example tonight, you could at most say that he should have had their first goal. He stopped many quality chances. He played well.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's some mental gymnastic. He's 7 or 8M overpaid (at the very least). Whoever comes off the book is meaningless, that's still 7 or 8M that isn't coming off the book and could be used for a player with a positive impact on the team. That's almost Pietrangelo's cap hit.

Umm...I never said Bob isnt a bad contract. But he's not gonna make us lose Huberdeau or cripple the team in any other major way. Nice strawman though.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If we re-sign Huberdeau, we'll have about 40% of the cap tied up in four guys (Bob, Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad). That's textbook cap hell.

We also won't have any other expensive contracts on the team(at least no anchor type contracts). I mean maybe Verhaeghe will get a few mil, but I can't see him getting 5+ unless he goes absolutely bonkers next season. So I think we'll still have the flexibility to bring in another marquee player if we wanted to. Plus, Bob will be gone in 2024. It is crucial that we draft and develop well because after 2023 we will have a lot of money tied up in Barky, Huby and Ek. But I see that as more of a good thing that we'll be forced to do that.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I disagree. The last 3 games he’s been way better than an average backup. For example tonight, you could at most say that he should have had their third goal. He stopped many quality chances. He played well.
He didn't, but that's beside the point of this thread.
If he played every game like tonight, he'd still be backup level and wouldn't block Knight in any way from taking over. The ball is truly in his hand with regards to how soon he's the starting goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad