How Do We Fix The Defense?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well you could trade for a good dman or two, but the continuous squandering of assets between the few guys to valuable to trade and everything else in the organization doesn't really gives us the trading chips to acquire one.

Which is why it would have been nice if we were using this downturn to stockpile assets rather than squander them.

member 290103

Can anyone here tell me where you apply to be an hfboards propaganda poster for the Canucks?

Reactions: geebaan

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
How much would Stralman get in free agency?

Sorry not to provide a figure, but it is probably clear that he'd want to be overpaid in money, term or both to accept a deal from the Canucks. With him due to turn 33 before beginning play under his next contract, overpaying the market in money, term or both really doesn't make sense if you consider the team should be rebuilding.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Sorry not to provide a figure, but it is probably clear that he'd want to be overpaid in money, term or both to accept a deal from the Canucks. With him due to turn 33 before beginning play under his next contract, overpaying the market in money, term or both really doesn't make sense if you consider the team should be rebuilding.
Isnt that Bennings gameplan every July1?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We do have some good prospects in the system and we also have some good ones on the NHL roster. Tanev, Edler, Hutton, Juolevi, Hughes, Rathbone, and Woo all look like top 6 players. Regardless, if we do need that high-end quality D, we should have spent our UFA money on good players like Shattenkirk, Niskanen, Schlemko instead of Gudbranson or Eriksson. We have so much money tied up on 4th line/3rd-pairing players at best when we could have had legitimate top 4 D.

If our team is ever one D away from a strong Cup contender, trading futures for a D is definitely worth it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Lol. Thread asks how we can fix the Defence.

Pessimistic posters read it as :how can we complain about the past.

My vote is for patience.

Hughes - Juolevi on the way

Woo, Brassard, Rathbone, Brisbois developing

Tanev and Edler - Hutton are fine.

Trade Guddy for picks
Trade Stecher for picks

Dont re sign MDZ or Pouliot

Sign 1 maybe 2 solid Dman.

Karlsson ? Myers? Gardiner? Stralman?

Then keep drafting and Developimg Dmen.

Woo, Brassard, Rathbone, Brisbois are 2-4 years away from being anything significant to the Canucks roster, and it’s likely not one becomes anything. One becomes an NHL’er if I’m being optimistic. I’d make that bet everyday of the week.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

I don't mind overpaying the market in money if it's only for a year or two. I'm curious what that market rate will be though.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
BEST CASE scenario is Tryamkin returns and is a decent defensive dman, and the Canucks move out Edler for a pick +

let chips remain as they may. hughes/juolevi/woo/1st rdr etc

hughes-tanev
hutton-tryamkin
juolevi-guddy

*Plus wonder what a Tryamkin-Zaitsev can do.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
BEST CASE scenario is Tryamkin returns and is a decent defensive dman, and the Canucks move out Edler for a pick +

let chips remain as they may. hughes/juolevi/woo/1st rdr etc

hughes-tanev
hutton-tryamkin
juolevi-guddy

*Plus wonder what a Tryamkin-Zaitsev can do.

Was going to post keeping Tanev to pair with Hughes, Hutton-Gudbranson seems to work for a 3rd pairing, and I'd keep Stecher as a spare RHD, pretty much Biega's role today. Flush the rest including Edler but a big "no" to Zaitzev, especially with his contract.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Make an offer to Parayko. Only 25, he is young enough to be part of the rebuild

Virtanen
Gudbranson
Markstrom

For

Parayko
Allen

Canucks pay a lesser price for Parayko because they take on Allen contract.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Make an offer to Parayko. Only 25, he is young enough to be part of the rebuild

Virtanen
Gudbranson
Markstrom

For

Parayko
Allen

Canucks pay a lesser price for Parayko because they take on Allen contract.
:laugh:
That doesn’t come even remotely close to getting Parayko. They would probably want a couple more prospects and a 1st at the very least.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
I'm just gonna say, whether it's a good idea or not, or whether it's remotely plausible or not, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Benning/Aquilini gave Karlsson an offer.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I really like the idea of stealing a high quality (but perhaps currently underperforming) d-man who needs a change of scenery via a trade for one of our promising rookie forwards like Lind or Gadjovitch , but at this point that seems so unlikely it's like wishing to find a big bag of money under my chair.

(looks under chair)

I mean, it's unlikely, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE. Canucks traded Patrick White who never played a game in the NHL for Ehrhoff, did they not?

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sigh

Just read through this thread.

It is full of whining and unrealistic solutions.

1 - we need more picks. fine. But you are not going to get decent picks for players we want to get rid of. tons of the posts here overvalue the trade value of our players.

2 - not one post referred to Utanen. He has a decent chance to make the Finnish team. Woo wasn't even invited. And with concerns about defensive ability of Juolevi and Hughes, in a couple of years a steady D-man will be what we need.

3 - One poster suggested signing a top 4 UFA at a good rate. Seriously? Thats not how FA works.

4 - One suggested signing Stralman - he'd be 33, and is not going to be cheap, or sign a short term contract.

5 - repeated suggestions to trade Edler, who has said he will not waive his NTC, and in reality is probably willing to re-sign at a reasonable rate. And would likely be as good as anyone we could sign for about twice the price.

The future is not all bad. We expect Juolevi and Hughes next year. We have Brisebois, Sautner, Woo, Chatfield, Utanen, Eliot, McEneny in the system. We may get Tryamkin back (which I think is our best bet to really help our blue line).

Hutton and Stecher look like legitimate 5 - 6 D men. (Hutton maybe even top 4).

Yes we have a ton of fringe players like Guddy, Poohy, Biega and MDZ. The only one who has trade value is Gudbranson. He is a big tough body, and would help out a legit playoff team as someone who can handle the playoff grind. He's wasted on the Canucks.

But Edler and Tanev to steady the line up next year.

So

Edler Juolevi
Tanev Hughes
Hutton Stecher

Gudbranson or Biega as 7th D man.

Resign Pouliot as a recall from Utica (if he clears waivers) ... and as someone to leave for expansion.

And if Tryamkin comes back ....

Reactions: Numba9 and Var

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
The tone of the fanbase will change once Hughes is in the lineup. However, there are some issues that need to be addressed. I was really hoping we would sign Carlson last summer but that was always a pipe dream. As far as the future is concerned, I can see Hughes, Hutton, Stecher, Woo and Joulevi having roles. If this is 5 of our top 6 in 2-3 years, I'd hope that we make a splash in FA for one of the top D-men in the league (Pietrangelo 2020!!!!). With all of those players on their first or second contracts, that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Sigh

Just read through this thread.

It is full of whining and unrealistic solutions.

1 - we need more picks. fine. But you are not going to get decent picks for players we want to get rid of. tons of the posts here overvalue the trade value of our players.

2 - not one post referred to Utanen. He has a decent chance to make the Finnish team. Woo wasn't even invited. And with concerns about defensive ability of Juolevi and Hughes, in a couple of years a steady D-man will be what we need.

3 - One poster suggested signing a top 4 UFA at a good rate. Seriously? Thats not how FA works.

4 - One suggested signing Stralman - he'd be 33, and is not going to be cheap, or sign a short term contract.

5 - repeated suggestions to trade Edler, who has said he will not waive his NTC, and in reality is probably willing to re-sign at a reasonable rate. And would likely be as good as anyone we could sign for about twice the price.

The future is not all bad. We expect Juolevi and Hughes next year. We have Brisebois, Sautner, Woo, Chatfield, Utanen, Eliot, McEneny in the system. We may get Tryamkin back (which I think is our best bet to really help our blue line).

Hutton and Stecher look like legitimate 5 - 6 D men. (Hutton maybe even top 4).

Yes we have a ton of fringe players like Guddy, Poohy, Biega and MDZ. The only one who has trade value is Gudbranson. He is a big tough body, and would help out a legit playoff team as someone who can handle the playoff grind. He's wasted on the Canucks.

But Edler and Tanev to steady the line up next year.

So

Edler Juolevi
Tanev Hughes
Hutton Stecher

Gudbranson or Biega as 7th D man.

Resign Pouliot as a recall from Utica (if he clears waivers) ... and as someone to leave for expansion.

And if Tryamkin comes back ....

Probably because Utenen has two points this year

Reactions: passive voice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad