Series Talk: How do we beat Boston in round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Tavares is gonna step up. Marner, Hyman, those suckas!

On defense, Zaitsev, Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin and Hainsey going to step up big time!

Kadri waited all year for this. This is his first year in the league where going into the season the team was expected to make the playoffs. Vetran player like him along with Marleau will be good, just like last year.

If the Leafs lose this series, it will be the younger players who choke and blow it (like they always do according to some, they got a point though).

The veterans got to do the heavy lifting for the team, and they got enough.

:dunce:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
This is how this Toronto team will beat Boston.

They have to grind out the victories. If they can do that, play a low scoring grinding game, they will win.

The Leafs definitely have the horses for it. Whether or not the entire lineup is on the same page about grind out the wins, that is debatable.

Look at last night. The Leafs cannot even grind out a win against a bottom feeder like the New York Rangers.

So the pressure is on Babcock. If the high priced talent young players are not grinding, you pull them and play them less. If you are going to lose, you lose with playing your best player more, and that is Tavares this season.

Zach X 23

Mar 22, 2019
Wondering...Does Babsy have the record yet for 1st round exits? He usually goes for it hard - this might be the!

Zach X 23

Mar 22, 2019
sorry. This might be the year...If he gots the record, he might try to extend his lead.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kuraly will probably miss the first round for the Bruins.

He's third on the team in hits behind only Wagner and Acciari. Huge news for those worried about the Bruins and their physicality.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Tavares is gonna step up. Marner, Hyman, those suckas!

On defense, Zaitsev, Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin and Hainsey going to step up big time!

Kadri waited all year for this. This is his first year in the league where going into the season the team was expected to make the playoffs. Vetran player like him along with Marleau will be good, just like last year.

If the Leafs lose this series, it will be the younger players who choke and blow it (like they always do according to some, they got a point though).

The veterans got to do the heavy lifting for the team, and they got enough.
Are you OK did bump your head or drink too much ?
:dunce:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Wondering...Does Babsy have the record yet for 1st round exits? He usually goes for it hard - this might be the!
I don't think that they keep statistics for that, also a first round exit from the strongest division in the NHL is no shame.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It’s going to take a team effort.
For a team that has JT/Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kadri/Kapanen/etc, far too many nights I haven’t seen all 3 lines unstoppable.
This line has been the best or 1 player on this line and 1 player on another.

Still waiting for the string of 3 lines all playing like number 1 lines.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think that they keep statistics for that, also a first round exit from the strongest division in the NHL is no shame.

He is being paid 6m bucks to make a difference. How come Bruce Cassidy doesn't make excuses? He is making a fraction of Babs salary but has his team playing much better.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Haha, give me a break. Bruins will get the power play advantage despite anything that happens, this is guaranteed. They are able to play a brand of hockey most teams are outlawed from, conspiracy or incompetence, it doesn't matter.

From what I’ve seen of them the Bruins play soft, however unlike the Leafs, everyone is moving their feet and that’s bad news for the Leafs, in terms of taking penalties.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s going to take a team effort.
For a team that has JT/Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kadri/Kapanen/etc, far too many nights I haven’t seen all 3 lines unstoppable.
This line has been the best or 1 player on this line and 1 player on another.

Still waiting for the string of 3 lines all playing like number 1 lines.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly.......after these four how does the rest of the lineup match up against the rest of the league?
I wonder if it’s just a narrative put out by the media because they play soft that they get tagged as fast and skilled?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Muzzin will play a huge role if the Leafs beat the Bruins.

Guys like Kadri, Hyman, Goat, Kapanen and Johnsson need to finish their checks in the corners to wear down the Bruins Defence, especially Chara

Tavares and Marner are well equipped to take on the Bergeron line, with the help of Rielly of course

Matthews needs to continue to be dominant going into the playoffs. He needs to put the team on his back and eat up the competition

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
He is being paid 6m bucks to make a difference. How come Bruce Cassidy doesn't make excuses? He is making a fraction of Babs salary but has his team playing much better.

Cassidy is a very underrated coach; he's done wonders developing the younger players. Might change in the playoffs, but when a young player makes an honest mistake they go right back out there. They're not gripping their sticks afraid to make a mistake and be benched.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Honestly you need to capably control the Bruins top line and you need all 4 of our lines to contribute. No one line of ours will outproduce Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Ideal lines for round 1 assuming everyone but Gardiner is healthy:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Brown

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Zaitsev

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think enough is enough saying "there is no shame in losing to the Bruins or whoever" You don't get a special prize for being the 3rd best team in your division. Let's beat Boston and at least be competitive against TB. Improvement.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
How we beat Boston?
I'll reiterate it.

Don't play OUR game.

That's right, play the game to beat the Bruins because they will be doing the same against us and their Neutral zone clog /gap pressure is more successful than forcing our free wheel style to unsuccessful results.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Great Goaltending

Matthews physically dominates Bergeron

Kadri moves to the left side of Tavares and Marner.( its not even debatable this should happen).

Two scoring lines and Two energy lines. Is that not making sense to everyone but the big bada$$ coach of ours.

Load the motherf)(king first 2 lines.

Hit Chara as a team plan on every opportunity. He will wear down and he will take penalties.

So back to the Matthews point!

Matthees needs to make a playoff statement this year to be considered a character player.

Marner needs a better scorer than Hyman on the left side and the third line needs more Hyman.

We need to come alive and hit right from the first puck drop. We need to punish the top line physically.

I don't have alot of faith any of that will happen so take it for what its worth. ;)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How we beat Boston?
I'll reiterate it.

Don't play OUR game.

That's right, play the game to beat the Bruins because they will be doing the same against us and their Neutral zone clog /gap pressure is more successful than forcing our free wheel style to unsuccessful results.

I call B.S. You have to elaborate on this one. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad