Line Combos: How do they generate some 5on5 offense?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
bergeron only had 4 primary assist 5 on 5 last season Krejci out produced 37 surrounded by weak talent while Bergeron had 2 hall of famers

Bergeron also had 15 goals 5 on 5.... Also a hall of famer.

Wasn't talking about Bergeron line, but yes, that too is a fair point. I've brought that up before. I'm not big on the "perfection line" myself.

Reactions: 13Hockey

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Since 2017-18- until now
Bruce first full season and since 63-37-88 have been together full time

And since Debrusk and Krejci have been together full time

5 on 5 production

DeBrusk
44 Goals
40 Assists
84 Points

Krejci
25 Goals
69 Assists
94 Points

Bergeron
43 Goals
52 Assists
95 Points

DeBrusk has out scored Bergeron 5 on 5 and Krejci has matched Bergeron production

maybe Krejci and DeBrusk aren’t as bad as some make them out to be

Reactions: DBL84 and BadBruins

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How do you generate offense...

Draft skill from time to time.

2t8jet.jpg

Reactions: Blowfish

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With Grz doubtful tomorrow... I wonder who will step in

Vaaka or Clifton.

Is Clifton in the doghouse? I don't really get it

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
How do you generate offense...

Draft skill from time to time.
This team has skill, they just chose to pass instead of shooting. If they shot to score and threw everything at the net and crashed for rebounds they would do fine. Unfortunately they do none of these things so barring a multi player trade or playing a goaltender who craps the bed I see a long year of one goal losses. Our goaltending and defense will keep it close / respectable but lose more than win. Hopefully our GM will not give away our 1st this year for some plug to try to make the POs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Ritchie plays well with Krejci, do people think DeBrusk will join them at RW, or replace Bjork on Coyle’s line? (When Pasta returns.)

I think Butch has his mind made up that Smith goes with Coyle and Debrusk with Krejci. We know he will use Jake on RW, so if I had to bet it would be Ritchie-Krejci-Debrusk and Bjork-Coyle-Smith.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
If Ritchie plays well with Krejci, do people think DeBrusk will join them at RW, or replace Bjork on Coyle’s line? (When Pasta returns.)

I’d keep Krejci and DeBrusk separated. I want to see more of Ritchie and Studnicka with Krejci. I’m really hoping that works and then when Pastrnak is back you move DeBrusk to the third line with Coyle and Smith.

In terms of generating 5 on 5 offense, I hope Cassidy keeps the same lines together as the last game. Let some of these guys develop chemistry together. It’s going to come. As much as we all complain here, they have a lot of talent on offense. Are they missing a second line scoring winger? Yes. But they are deeper/more talented on offense than they have been in the past and those teams still found ways to be successful. Goals will come.

Reactions: PlayMakers

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Correct me if I am wrong, but the players still on the Bs who were in the organization when Sweeney was named GM are: Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krejci, Killer, and Rask. The rest of the team is DS' handiwork. Pretty much the bulk of the current scoring and the elite goalie was already in place when DS arrived as GM. He has had since 2015 to add consistent scorers to the team. It is now 2021. Look at the "scorers" on the team other than the pieces DS inherited (and Krug is now gone to add to the lack of scoring), and let me know who is left. Fact is quite clear that DS has a major problem at identifying and bringing in consistent scorers other than the occasional guy who may or may not get 20 goals in a good year. This does not bode well for fixing the secondary scoring issues in the present season, and certainly is problematic when considering what the team will look like once Bergy, Marchy, and Krejci are declining or are no longer here.

Sweeney has done an excellent job of rebuilding the defense he inherited. And he was in charge of the draft as assistant GM when they took Pasta, wasn't he?

I know this is the doom and gloom thread, but people realize that Craig Smith would have finish right behind the big three on this team in 5 on 5 goals last year, right?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bottom line, no outside help is coming anytime soon. So it's up to Butch and Co. to figure out how best to get offense out of this forward group.

1st line F - Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak

2nd line F - Krejci

3rd line F - Debrusk, Kase/Studnicka, Smith, Coyle, Ritchie.

4th line F - Frederic, Kuraly, Bjork, Wagner

So it's up to Butch to figure out which pair of middle 6 wingers fit best with Krejci, which pair of wingers fits best with Coyle. Until Kase returns and can stay in the line-up, we'll just assume Studnicka has his roster spot for arguments sake.

I think it should be Ritchie/Smith with Krejci, and Debrusk/Studnicka with Coyle. That to me are the best fits.

Frederic and Kuraly should be the mainstays of the 4th line. Wagner and Bjork can occupy the final spot depending on performance and opponent.

It's not ideal, but I'm not holding my breath on help coming from outside at this early juncture.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Scoring 5V5 comes from depth. You can’t do it with one line, too easy to shut down. Need a strong second and even third line to free up space from top checking lines.

Bruins problems are due to a lack of offensive depth. This is a result of some very poor drafting, and bad trades of 1st round picks with little return. This has been 5 years in the making, it’s what happens when you have the 31st rated prospect pool in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad