Injury Report: How do the Leafs fix the defense?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
personnally, i would have loved for them to sign john moore , i think hes very reasonably priced but that ship has sailed.

with so much cap for just this year, give a 1 yr contract to often injured players like sbisa or de haan and see if they can regain their form
just dont break the bank or sign long term

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I think the severity of our defensive woes are vastly overblown.

Leafs had two dmen in the top 20 last season.

This team needs defensive defenseman, which should be easier and cheaper to find.

In saying that, they haven't found any - so maybe it's not as easy as I thought!

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Our defensive issues are overstated. Yes, we need work, but the way some people harp on our defence, you would think we had a bottom 3 one.

Also, our defensive problems go beyond the d-men. Our forwards need to be better defensively and we need to play better team defence.

Reactions: weems

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This could work for another year:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner deHaan
Dermott Zaitsev

Remove Martins $2,500,000 & Carricks $1,300,000 to cover deHanns AAV.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
There's gotta be a shutdown Dman somewhere that can be had on the cheap. What the hell is Dubas doing???

Ramako

May 16, 2016
Put together a package of solid prospects (e.g. Nielsen, Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, Leivo) and flip them to a re-building team.

Reactions: goleafsgo88

weems

Jul 3, 2008
In a sport like hockey you defend as a unit.
Sure we could use a upgrade no doubt about it but we also need to start doing all the little things that lead to good team defensive play.
Our forwards need to stop cheating for O, we need to support the puck better, we need to backcheck harder and force better back pressure, we need to sacrifice our body more often to make a play.
Oh ya how about coming up with a more efficient breakout system and not try 2 zillion foot long pass's.
Getting rid of both JVR and Bozak who are defensively inept and bringing in younger, faster and more intense guys like Johnsson and Kapanen should help us become better defensively.

It's not always just about making said aquisition but also needing your exisiting players to go to further lengths to do the non sexy things.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Don't trade any of our 1st rounders is the 1st step, our defense is small and non physical really, I would keep Reilly, Dermot, Zaitsev because of contract years, Rosen or Borgman or Holl, If I had to trade it would be Gardiner the un physical give away machine, Brown, Leivo, guys like that in order to pick up 2 bruiser big stay at home rugged defencemen, good 1st pass, they dont need to be big names to solidify our other skating D and add toughness so were not pushed around. Our offense including JT will more than take care of the rest

Reactions: Leafsman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The defense has to be upgraded in a few key ways.

1) Team defense. Hopefully with the addition of Tavares and some internal Marlies promotions and fresh legs, we have a team that brings better back pressure and team defense as a whole. This is more like the incremental improvement of having such a young team.

2) Internal improvement of existing blueliners. Hopefully Rielly has another gear, Zaitsev stabilizes and Dermott takes another leap in his development as a top 4 defenseman. Couple that with regression from Hainsey and you have a net improvement you can count on.

3) Internal promotion: hopefully one or two of Ozhiganov, Holl, Rosen, Borgman surprises as a viable NHL defenseman from the young pro stream of things.

4) Long term development: hopefully some combination of Sandin, Liljegren, Rasanen, Gordeev, Nielsen becomes the next Travis Dermott. Longer term approach but the upside is whomever we get here will likely be on a cheap ELC for a while.

5) UFA Rental/Trade. I'm thinking it could be someone like Tyler Myers or a Justin Faulk. For whatever reason these guys might be available, either contractual or team surplus. We can throw the full weight of trading any combination of Brown, Kapanen, Leivo, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov, 1st rounder, other prospects for them, or something much more modest, depending on whom the target is. Basically the McDonagh trade.

6) Nuclear option: one of Marner or Nylander, either by cap situation, contract demand or whatever other factor forces us to deal from a position of strength for a stud blueliner, or package of assets that allows us to trade for a superstar defenseman.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Don't trade any of our 1st rounders is the 1st step, our defense is small and non physical really, I would keep Reilly, Dermot, Zaitsev because of contract years, Rosen or Borgman or Holl, If I had to trade it would be Gardiner the un physical give away machine, Brown, Leivo, guys like that in order to pick up 2 bruiser big stay at home rugged defencemen, good 1st pass, they dont need to be big names to solidify our other skating D and add toughness so were not pushed around. Our offense including JT will more than take care of the rest
Well said!!

This defense can be fixed without chasing big names.

We need a defense-first guy who can throw his weight around and step up when we're defending leads or in important defensive zone start situations.

This team has so much flash now. It needs some heart and character! Polak with a time machine would be perfect

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Gardiner, Brown for a RHD

Sign de Haan 2y/4.75M AAV

Rielly - RHD
De Haan - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Carrick

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Seeing as we have a bit of a excess of young goalies and the interest around the league in Pickard maybe we package him with a 2nd +prospect to a team needing help in goal?

I too don't think we should trade away our 1st's just yet either but a 2nd or combination of later round picks would be more ideal.

Give Lilly another year with the Marlies and I think he will be ready to go so we don't need to have a star coming in. Or even someone long term. Just someone reliable and capable of playing shut down mins

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
17-18 WAS Goals Against: 239
17-18 TOR GAs: 232

16-17 PIT Goals Against: 234
16-17 TOR GAs: 242

They need to improve but they aren't that far off.

I'd trade Gardiner in a three way trade to land Tanev. Signing de Haan to a 1 year deal.

Reilly-Tanev
Dermott-Zaitsev
de Haan-Hainsey
Carrick-Borgman

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
We have Dermott, Rosen, Borgman and Holl all looking like they could make the jump as 4-5-6-7 on our depth chart next year. Drop Gardiner's useless self for some pucks and see what those guys can do with their championship pedigree, an elite group of forwards and a world-class goalie behind them. I bet they can be exactly what we need.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
r
Rieĺly Hainsey
Dermott Holl
Gardiner llijgren

Liljegren looked completely lost against Texas. He might prove me wrong, but right now he's probably going to be cut by the end of the first week of preseason games and spend the majority of the season playing top-4 minutes with the Marlies. I doubt he's NHL-ready in any sense.

I'd go with:

Reilly-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen-Carrick/Borgman/Holl

Trade Gardiner for a couple picks and give these guys a chance to bring their winning experience to the NHL.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I feel like people don't follow the NHL. Our D right now is as good as the last 3 cup winners. Teams win with 2 stars at C. We have it and a very good #13 C which would be #1 on some teams.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Think the leafs could afford to add someone on the right hand side. Very set on the left with Rielly, Gards & Dermott. Need to find a way to move Hainsey down the lineup. I don't think there is room/we have assets to truly add a #1, but a 3/4 would be solid. Shouldn't be moving anyone off the NHL roster for that type of return.

Based on what's left in FA, I would rather take a gamble on someone on a 1-year deal (Hamhuis, Sbisa) or maybe take a shot at a Dylan DeMelo, vs try and force a fit like DeHaan. I think trade opportunities will present themselves over the course of the year.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I wish Liljegren was one year ahead on his development, but he'll be coming soon.

I don't know who we'll get but the opportunity is ripe for the taking. Leafs have a solid young core and prospect pool and can afford to trade some futures for D help. It's all about patience. Tavares hasn't even been a Leaf for 12 hours as of right now. I'm sure we'll see a D-man coming in this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad