How Do Rookie Signings Work in Finland?

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I was just looking at Roni Hirvonen's Elite Prospect page and was curious how rookies are assigned or drafted in Liiga. Can anyone shed some light? Is it based on where they play their junior career and then sign a contract, or is there some form of entry draft?

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
Finnish and most other european sport clubs work in the fashion having lot of different age groups U8, U10, U12, U14, U16, U18, U20 for example. And then the teams are assigned by players skill level for example D20 being the lowest and A20 being the best team in that age group. The players are free to choose from all the clubs that want them so basically a free market but most often players will choose the club based on the location and potential growth options. Basically a player from Oulu can sign with a club from Tampere and play his professional career in there.

In Finland only the U20A and the senior team is controlled by a commercial company(Liiga clubs) while the rest of the juniors play for the non-profit registered association.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I was just looking at Roni Hirvonen's Elite Prospect page and was curious how rookies are assigned or drafted in Liiga. Can anyone shed some light? Is it based on where they play their junior career and then sign a contract, or is there some form of entry draft?

There is no entry draft. Players who aren't under contract, including rookies, are free to sign with any club that want to sign them. Free market, unlike North America.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Most players stay where they are but in Hirvonen's case, his hometown doesn't have a top-tier team since Blues went bankrupt in 2016.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
If he wants to change teams, must he pay some money to mother club? Or he simply packs his bags and say goodbye?

I think the team that is getting the player is paying some small fee but no the player himself.

If the player is not signed to a pro contract they can leave for another team, if they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->