how do incentives work in the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
If we take Lindros as an example. Let's say he gets paid 1 million of base pay with the potential to touch 5 million with incentives. does that extra 4 million count towards the team's cap?

So, they should be a lot lower at the start of the year, in case every player touches the cap?

I don't want to start a flame or anything about Lindros or the Leafs. I just know he'll have an incentive heavy contract and he's been in the news.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Jocus said:
If we take Lindros as an example. Let's say he gets paid 1 million of base pay with the potential to touch 5 million with incentives. does that extra 4 million count towards the team's cap?
Contract incentives are only allowed in specific cases (which Lindros doesn't qualify for) but no, they apparently don't count against the cap.

GSC2k2*

I have listened to Gord Kirke on the radio say that they are counted against the cap as they are earned (as opposed to bonuses for ELS guys, whose non-league-paid bonuses count whether earned or not).

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
gscarpenter2002 said:
I have listened to Gord Kirke on the radio say that they are counted against the cap as they are earned (as opposed to bonuses for ELS guys, whose non-league-paid bonuses count whether earned or not).

Far be it for me to disagree, at least in part, but here's a quote from an e-mail I received from Lightning GM Jay Feaster:

...while it permits performance bonuses for guys such as Andreychuk, for example, players over the age of 35 when they sign their deal, you must still count the full amount of "potential" bonuses as having been earned even before they are earned.

(emphasis mine)

He went on with a commentary about that, which I'll refrain from repeating. :)

I don't think bonuses for *rookies* count against the cap, tho.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Boltsfan2029 said:
Far be it for me to disagree, at least in part, but here's a quote from an e-mail I received from Lightning GM Jay Feaster:

(emphasis mine)

He went on with a commentary about that, which I'll refrain from repeating. :)

I don't think bonuses for *rookies* count against the cap, tho.

Rookie bonuses do count or Bobby Clarke would not have been so reluctant to sign Carter or Richards to the max rookie bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad