How do groups enforce their rules amongst members?

lighthouses

Jan 12, 2014
I’m asking these purely hypothetical questions for a friend...

Does anyone have experience with being in a group that contains some rules...

For example, if a season ticket holder want to attend all games of a particular visiting team (just an example) and not allocate to other members, is it recommended they obtain a contract / something legal in case of potential issues later?

Could there possibly be a situation where someone is in the group long enough to starting laying claim to perks not originally theirs?

Has anyone had to let a group member go?

Thanks for any possible advice.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

For example, if a season ticket holder want to attend all games of a particular visiting team (just an example) and not allocate to other members, is it recommended they obtain a contract / something legal in case of potential issues later?

Could there possibly be a situation where someone is in the group long enough to starting laying claim to perks not originally theirs?

Our SSH (below) is very fair and we are always happy to support his decisions. :nod:

mob-enforcer.jpg

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Yep, write it down. Especially if there are specific preferences that are expected to be maintained such as your example of games vs. a specific opponent.

In our "Agreement", I wrote it down that I, as the main account holder, get to keep all the paraphernalia that comes with the Season Seat package. At the time I wrote it in, nobody seemed to care and I'm a bit of a hoarder anyway so it's all good. However later on, my butt is covered should there be some highly coveted item included that other members in the group might want and attempt to lay claim to it, which is possible but however unlikely.

Another example is Jets Rewards points... they may not be worth much, but they are worth something and such things should be spelled out in a sharing agreement, in my opinion. Down the road, you could be talking about quite a few reward points.

Truth is, the main account holder might be able to get away with what they want, at the risk of loosing a financial contributor. All you can do is leave the group (or threaten to do so) and force them to find another share partner. I figure that, in many cases, that would be enough to "scare straight" a main account holder that is being unreasonable as they will now have to suffer the financial burden of the entire season seat cost all on their own or relinquish their account. Depending on the term left and the cost of the seats, it may prove more burdensome and difficult for them than to oblige to a reasonable request from a share partner.

There should be some mutual long-term respect and expectations, both ways, between share partners (including main account holders).

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

1. No one in our group has priority over any visiting teams. Each member moves one spot up in the draft each year so eventually you will get #1 pick.

2. What perks? Jets reward points? If everyone in the group registers as share partners then the primary account holder can transfer reward points to each member. In both my ticketing groups the primary account holder keeps the points in exchange for making sure payments are made to TNSE, organizing the ticket draft, forwarding the tickets etc....

3. We have not forcibly removed anyone from our ticket groups. The only way it would happen is if you didn’t make your payment or the primary account holder was notified by the Jets that you were breaking the fan code of conduct. Of course there could be many over riding factors in removing someone from a group.

We have no signed contracts and set out simple rules.

1. Payments made in full and on time.
2. Draft order- move up one spot each year until you hit #1 and then back of the draft.
3. Playoffs- constant playoff order that is forever ongoing. It picks up where it left off with each year and each playoff series.

We make our ticket drafts as fair as possible to everyone in the group. Group members are free to do as they wish with the games that they have paid for and drafted. All tickets are transferred to that individuals ticket account. They can sell, give away and do as they please with the tickets within TNSE ticket transfer and resale policies.

We keep things really simple. As a bonus everyone in the groups have been friends for over 30 years.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
7 years ago we drafted and circulated a pretty formal contract, to which everyone agreed in principle, but we never finalized the document or signed it. The foundation of it all was to try to keep everything fair and equal among the partners. How we draft tickets, how playoff tickets are handled, etc. I think it's worked out pretty well.

We had a "special circumstances" clause which would have allowed for things like one of the partners always getting games for a particular team. Those types of arrangements needed 3 out of 4 votes to pass - and there would've been a side deal where that player gives up something (e.g. miss rounds 2 and 3 in the draft in exchange for 2 home games vs. Chicago).

We'd wrote it so any partner could withdraw before Labour Day - but this was drafted in 2011 when demand was very high and we could've easily filled a spot. We did have a guy leave at the end of last season but he provided his own replacement...I think he would've stayed in if he (or we) weren't able to arrange someone to fill his spot.

So in the end we haven't had need for a formal document, but we're all pretty good friends and straight shooters, so it's worked out. YMMV!

Hobbes69

Here's my situation and history for sharing my tickets:

I take advantage of being the SSH. I go to four games that I want based on date (First game, last game, New Year's Eve and the game closest to my b'day). I get all SSH perks based on what TNSE gives to the SSH. I take all the risk with TNSE though.

In return I have very "loose" rules. Cost is SSH price rounded up to the next dollar. We snake draft. I sit out the beginning rounds for which I already grabbed my special 4 games. Draft as many games as you want. You have to draft at least 6 games to be automatically included for Playoffs and for the next year. If you don't take a preseason game, I charge a premium (which is less than TM fees). For what it's worth all members taking at least 6 games have always taken a preseason game. Payment's due before tickets will be transferred. New group members drop to the bottom of the draft order but can move up if they stay in the group. After the draft I make a list of remaining games available to former members, friends and family who do not want at least 6 games.

For playoffs, I go to one game in round one and I reserve the possible clinching Stanley Cup game(s). The members usually get at least one game per round depending on the size of the group and the number of games. I deal with what's left over if there is anything. Last year I only went to round one and my guys did the rest of round 1 and all of round 2 and 3 except for one round 3 game which I sold on Seat Exchange.

Every year I have about 10 to 15 games that I have available to sell after the draft. I put almost all of them on Seat Exchange and only pull those off that former members, friends and family ask for. In 7 years I've had to give away 2 games at the last second because I couldn't use or sell the tickets. I average going to two preseason games and about 6 to 8 regular season games every year.

I usually have 3 or 4 group members every year. I won't accept any new group members when there are five members including myself. Group members can opt out at any time. In seven years I've had 11 different group members. The only guy who had been with me since the beginning asked out this summer so he could join a family member in their group. Most guys dropped out because of growing families or their personal economic situations. Two guys dropped out early on because they thought they should have an equal share in ownership of the SSH position and didn't like "my rules".

The first year agreement was more strict, written down and had to be signed. It didn't work for me as I had to do "all the work" without any personal benefit. Now, nobody signs anything and I don't have to "manage the group". I just do the draft and transfer tickets. I get "my games" and I'm flexible enough to deal with what's left over.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
1. No one in our group has priority over any visiting teams. Each member moves one spot up in the draft each year so eventually you will get #1 pick.

2. What perks? Jets reward points? If everyone in the group registers as share partners then the primary account holder can transfer reward points to each member. In both my ticketing groups the primary account holder keeps the points in exchange for making sure payments are made to TNSE, organizing the ticket draft, forwarding the tickets etc....

3. We have not forcibly removed anyone from our ticket groups. The only way it would happen is if you didn’t make your payment or the primary account holder was notified by the Jets that you were breaking the fan code of conduct. Of course there could be many over riding factors in removing someone from a group.

We have no signed contracts and set out simple rules.

1. Payments made in full and on time.
2. Draft order- move up one spot each year until you hit #1 and then back of the draft.
3. Playoffs- constant playoff order that is forever ongoing. It picks up where it left off with each year and each playoff series.

We make our ticket drafts as fair as possible to everyone in the group. Group members are free to do as they wish with the games that they have paid for and drafted. All tickets are transferred to that individuals ticket account. They can sell, give away and do as they please with the tickets within TNSE ticket transfer and resale policies.

We keep things really simple. As a bonus everyone in the groups have been friends for over 30 years.
This is pretty much how we go with a couple unique features but our group of 4 is 3 brothers and a buddy. But even then everything is written out. I usually pull it out at our season ticket draft to review, and everyone nods and we start drafting. We are pretty relaxed about things and let each other know important games, when we are out of town, when is this year's curling night. The last few tickets are more divided then drafted to make sure no one is stuck with a game they can't attend. We have 2 hard and fast rules no scalping and under no circumstances can you sell or give away a ticket to someone who wears another team's jersey. None of us has every used ticket exchange because we just exchange among ourselves or give away tickets no one can use. The combined families got more then a few teenagers and young adults who snap up anything that no one can use (free of course :laugh:)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
We have 2 hard and fast rules no scalping and under no circumstances can you sell or give away a ticket to someone who wears another team's jersey.

I wish my group had such a rule. I know for a fact that one guy who uses his tickets for corporate entertaining has invited "the enemy" to join him. Up to and including Leafs fans (spit). It makes me want to bring Lysol wipes to the games to disinfect our seats. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->