How do Canadians feel about this Madden article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I'm shocked, he actually mentioned the word "Canada" in this article without going on an all out cuss fest! :eek:

Other than what he wrote about Canadian hockey in the past decade, as well as the pathetic comment on the GRetzky hit, I can somewhat see where he is comming from on this and does prove a (very minor) point.

http://www.espnradio1250.com/listingsentry.asp?ID=10357&PT=MARK+MADDEN

(NOTE: I put this on the WC forum because he was reffering to the USA/Finland game.)

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Sorry. I can't see where he is coming from when he says Suter didn't hit Gretzky hard enough. I can't see where he is coming from when he says he wants to hear about all the chicks Modano nails.

And I can't see where he is coming from with his ridiculous hate of everything that comes out of Canada.

Mountain Dude

I would kinda agree, they do need they're own people doing it.

Just like you can always tell where Burke is coming from, if I was them I would prefer an American as well.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
BlindWillyMcHurt said:
Just keep stirring the pot Cm, you're doing a great job...

What the hell are you talking about!?!?!? I wanted someone oppinion on what Madden felt about Canadian announcers on ESPN. DOn't like it? Feel free not to click on this thread. :shakehead

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
E = CH² said:
Sorry. I can't see where he is coming from when he says Suter didn't hit Gretzky hard enough. I can't see where he is coming from when he says he wants to hear about all the chicks Modano nails.

And I can't see where he is coming from with his ridiculous hate of everything that comes out of Canada.

Look beyond his smart ass remarks and see what point he is trying to make.

Fleet*

I agree with Madden on how Gretzky didn't get hit hard enough but I was always more of a Lemieux fan myself. However Gretzky's daughter is pretty hot :D . Stopping now. Madden should stick to football.

HughJass*

I don't take the article as "I hate Canada", I just think he is just trying to point out that American broadcasts probably need a different "voice". Hell, something has to be tried out, and just maybe U.S. hockey history needs to be pimped just a bit more. Hell, ESPN's hockey telecasts leads you to believe hockey wasn't played before the 80s sometimes :shakehead No sense of history at all. The game wasn't as always "wide open" as everyone would like to believe before the Great Depression of the Trap.

Btw, some trapping teams are entertaining to watch. Just beat the damn trap, and stop complaining.

Fleet said:
However Gretzky's daughter is pretty hot :D .

And a 15-year old girl was almost ***** at a bus stop in Cary, NC this morning. :shakehead Some of you poor slobs need to re-evaluate your mental hygiene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Canadian_man said:
Look beyond his smart ass remarks and see what point he is trying to make.

Yup a fairly simple one. They need their own people doing the broadcasting. If you're going to write about such a simple and obvious thing, you better put some quality meat around it. Not more of the same useless xenophobic drivel.

After saying yes he has a good point about american fans needing american icons what do you expect me to say.

I would like to agree with you but I just don't. It's a poor article.

Fleet*

WHurricane16 said:
I don't take the article as "I hate Canada", I just think he is just trying to point out that American broadcasts probably need a different "voice". Hell, something has to be tried out, and just maybe U.S. hockey history needs to be pimped just a bit more. Hell, ESPN's hockey telecasts leads you to believe hockey wasn't played before the 80s sometimes :shakehead No sense of history at all. The game wasn't as always "wide open" as everyone would like to believe before the Great Depression of the Trap.

Btw, some trapping teams are entertaining to watch. Just beat the damn trap, and stop complaining.

And a 15-year old girl was almost ***** at a bus stop in Cary, NC this morning. :shakehead Some of you poor slobs need to re-evaluate your mental hygiene.
Don't pin this on all of us. I'm 13 I'm supposed to think that way. **** happens everywhere. Get over it. However lets not turn this into the "**** Talk Thread".

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Fleet said:
I agree with Madden on how Gretzky didn't get hit hard enough but I was always more of a Lemieux fan myself. However Gretzky's daughter is pretty hot :D . Stopping now. Madden should stick to football.

You're what, 6? You don't have an opinion on Gretz.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
E = CH² said:

I don't believe he said that, he just said he didn't want to hear about the hit.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
<-----While you may not like alot of his writing, his talk show is pretty good, and when the Pens play its all about Lemieux.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Empathetic

I think the guy is definitely onto something. However, I have watched a few games covered by Fox Sports, and they did nothing but talk about guys like Brett Hull. The American-slanted commentary was certainly different from what I'm used to, and frankly, I didn't like it. I don't blame this guy for getting so much of a Canadian perspective in televised hockey. Why don't they track down an American legend like Pat LaFontaine to hop on as an analyst?

NucksFan16

Jul 1, 2004
USA
although he does have a point, and having americans on ESPN Hockey Broadcasts may help their ratings, he makes himself sound like the biggest idiot that ever lived

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
roast said:
I don't believe he said that, he just said he didn't want to hear about the hit.

Read the article.

EDIT : Heck, just to make sure I'll quote him

I don’t want to hear how terrible it was when U.S. defenseman Gary Suter folded up Wayne Gretzky like a taco with a bone-jarring cross-check in the 1991 Canada Cup, the predecessor to the WCH.

I want to hear the Americans presented as the heroes. I want to hear how Chris Chelios would have fit right in at the Battle of the Bulge, or at Bunker Hill. I want to hear about all the chicks Mike Modano nails. I want somebody to say that the only terrible thing about Suter’s cross-check was that Gretzky didn’t get hit HARD ENOUGH.

BTW I didn't put on the caps myself, he did, I just bolded it, to make sure you'd not miss it.

He sounds like a 12 years old.

Reilly311

Canadian_man said:
What the hell are you talking about!?!?!? I wanted someone oppinion on what Madden felt about Canadian announcers on ESPN. DOn't like it? Feel free not to click on this thread. :shakehead

You're stirring the pot. You clearly don't like what this man writes as from your previous posts, so, instead of ignoring it (like you tell people to ignore your thread), you actually searched for his articles then post it on this board looking for a reaction as if anything he says isn't false anyway. The article isn't even about Canada, yet, you ask for candian opinions? Attention Whore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
E = CH² said:

You're taking this too seriously. I found the article quite interesting and valid with a touch of humour. The only thing I didn't agree with is when he said: "de-emphasize the glorious hockey history of Canada - a history that hasn’t been all that glorious over the past decade, it should be noted."

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For my part, maybe his arguments are not very bright but i agree with him about the fact that hockey in USA should be descripted by american. Actually, i was thinking it was the case...

Macman

May 15, 2004
The only thing I have a problem with is him saying Canada has had a less than glorious record in the past 10 years. Whose had a better one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->