How did you think these guys played today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
bourdon gave up the puck atleast 3 times, including once about 6 feet infront of the crease.

Staal was very solid in my opinion. The seabrook of this year?

Taves was good, but his age is showing. He needs to develop more physically.

latendresse was by far the best forward on the ice, in my opinion.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Flash Walken said:
bourdon gave up the puck atleast 3 times, including once about 6 feet infront of the crease.
I don't think he was bad at all. He is playing sick anyways. :)

Lots of the Canadians impressed me, Cogliano in particular.

NewHabsEra*

Cogliano, Tows and Latendresse were the most noticeable offensively IMO, Latendresse isnt the most defensively aware though.

That was their first exhibition against a solid defensive CZE team.. The chimestry wasnt quite there, it should get better..

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
Personally, I hoped of a more powered offense. Give credit to the Czechs, they are good but I thought our team could have connected more offensively. The real deal in the actual games will not forgive this and the Finns are a more quicker team. Hope the team will commit less penalties in the actual tournament.

AgentNaslund*

jtuzzi said:
I don't think he was bad at all. He is playing sick anyways. :)

Lots of the Canadians impressed me, Cogliano in particular.

get use it. All he sais is bad things about Canuck property. Everyone that watched the game knew Bourdon did not have a bad game. Considering I saw Staal give up the puck twice alone in the first. But he does not comment on that. its pretty much all VAncouver Canucks hate from Flash Walken.

AgentNaslund*

SaskaSens said:
Personally, I hoped of a more powered offense. Give credit to the Czechs, they are good but I thought our team could have connected more offensively. The real deal in the actual games will not forgive this and the Finns are a more quicker team. Hope the team will commit less penalties in the actual tournament.

im pretty sure they will turn it on. Czech is a notiourus trapping team. Similar to Calgary Flames of the NHL. Canada basically, had to play one of the top defensive teams in the tournament. btw Luc Bourdon is playing hurt right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Zine said:
Can anyone comment on how Frolik looked?

He looked OK but was definitely outplayed by Toews in the battle of 2006 picks. The Czechs didn't create many good even-strength scoring chances.

allrevvedup25

Jul 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I only watched 2 periods of the game. The guy that impressed me physically was Pouliot!!! That major was bullspit!!! I hope that doesn't discourage him from playing like that for the tourney!!!

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
wondering

whats a good comparison for Pouliot, I've heard Jeff Carter...as they are both more finesse players with good offense and their size is comparable.

pouliot throwing big checks? I didn't know he played this kinda of style.

I hope they put him on a line with cogliano and latendresse...that line would be fun to watch imo.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
That first hit by Bennie was amazing. But the second hit, you could definitely see the elbow come up and unfortunately he got tossed for hit. That's been his problem in Sudbury the past 2 seasons, he doesn't normally hit like he did the first time, there is always a stick or elbow involved. Hopefully he continues to learn how to hit properly and brings it back to the Wolves with him in January. He was amazing out there for the short time he played. A lot of us Wolves fans have been hard on him this season because he's been uninspired but when he wants to, he can be fantastic.

Bruin Stain

Oct 26, 2005
Winnipeg
pouliot was awsome last night, he did everything right.the hit was clean.who ever he smoked had his head down a bit.the call was right according to the rules.but he wouldn't have been penalized in the OHL for that. toews was also awsome but he needs to bulk up and get stronger.you could tell he was a 17 year old playing with older kids.but he defenatly out played frolik.i think he will surprise alot of people in this tourney.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Woof said:
That first hit by Bennie was amazing. But the second hit, you could definitely see the elbow come up and unfortunately he got tossed for hit. That's been his problem in Sudbury the past 2 seasons, he doesn't normally hit like he did the first time, there is always a stick or elbow involved. Hopefully he continues to learn how to hit properly and brings it back to the Wolves with him in January. He was amazing out there for the short time he played. A lot of us Wolves fans have been hard on him this season because he's been uninspired but when he wants to, he can be fantastic.

You might want to see the hit again. It was a clean hit. His elbow came up in the follow through when the guy was on the ground. THe reason why he got tossed was because it was a hit to the head. The czech player was bent over and his shoulder hit his head. It was very similar to the phaneuf hit a few years ago. that was clean, however he hit his heard first. IIHF rules stat that any hit to the head is a 5 minute major and a game.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
The game from my eyes

Toews was very good ... a little slight but good hands and awarness didn't get pushed off the puck much and had some nice passes and spunk.

Cogliano was wicked .. hadn't seen him before and was really surprised... he kept skating past the czechs while going in to the offensive zone

Lattendress Chip and Downy played hard and showed good offensive talent. Downey doesn't have great hands but sure puts his butt on the line every shift.

Staal and Bourdon did everything needed very solid.

Latang was hot offensively and him and Barker got off some good shots.

Stevenson had a bad game.... too many penalties and was getting outplayed around his net.

Pouliot was a man possesed and paid for it by getting tossed.... the hits were both clean but excessive and the second did hit his head so rules state he's out.... I just can't see why it's his fault the czech player had his head down at his waist.... if they kept their head up it wouldn't have been a problem.

Bolland (my favourite) didn't really get in the grove.... he's a feel player as far as his playmaking ability goes... he wasn't sure where everyone was going to go when making passes and that will only get better... he will be impressive once he gets to know Cogliano and Chip a bit better.

Over all I think the guys played well and need a few more games to feel each other out....

The czechs didn't have their best team on the ice either .... that scares me ... no Schwartz or a big time forward... can't remember his name.

Let me know if I'm out to lunch on these thoughts... lol

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
AgentNaslund said:
im pretty sure they will turn it on. Czech is a notiourus trapping team. Similar to Calgary Flames of the NHL. Canada basically, had to play one of the top defensive teams in the tournament. btw Luc Bourdon is playing hurt right now.
Not hurt, sick.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
I thought Frolik looked pretty good. I also liked the way Bahensky played.

For Canada, I really liked Cogliano. You can see that this kid has a multitude of talents....I really liked his quick bursts of speed.

Staal looks really good, as well. Damn, before you know it there's going to be 4 Staal's in the NHL. Just wait and see.

You can also see why Downie is on the team. He is this year's version of tootoo, ott.

I was also impressed by Pouliot. He played very well, I love the mixture of offense and physical play. Good for him.

Barker played poorly, imo. I've seen him play many times and I know he can do better. He's gotta pick it up as he is a key guy. Dubnyk played ok but needs to work on rebound control. I just don't see what is so great about Latendresse, he seems to be the guy who can't finish his chances. He gets them but seems to blow it. Maybe I wrong, we'll see.

Also, this is not the full Czech team. They can play much better than they did tonight. But overall, a pretty good showing for team Canada. I am encouraged by what I saw.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
sec17 said:
Let's hope not, I don't want him to get hurt pre-tournament and be ineffective the whole way through. :biglaugh:

Haha, ya.

I meant style-wise.

And woah whancouver fans, I just made an observation about bourdon, I didn't say he played good or bad, because honestly, I was watching the forwards more.

Misos Milakos*

Toews looks like a awesome player, looks to be the complete package, potential franchise player.

Cogliano picked it up from the start of the second on, playing exactly how he plays, making things happen all over the ice, oppotrunties created, drawing penalties etc, hell of a player.

Nice physical side from Pouliot.

Dubnyk was solid behind a shaky at times blueline, that will need to be better. Bourdon did not look good, and will need to be better. I personally like him and think he was a good 1st round pick for the Canucks, but he will need to be better, though in fairness to him he was not at 100%..

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought Toews and Chipchura were very good. Dubnyk looked pretty solid and much better then previously. Goal he gave up was little weak however.

Thought Bourdon have some tough shifts and might have been feeling effects of his virus infection -especially early on power play. Yet did show flashes and made some good offensive plays. I thought Parent had a good game. Was not so impressed with Barker or Russell. Czechs kind of manhandled Russell.

Latendresse did not impress and I was surprised to hear he had balloned to 238 during the present season. Maybe some indications of why he slipped to the second round. Bolland was another one whose play did not match his earlier efforts. Playing with an injury so this might explain this.

Poulliot and O'Marra laid on the body but I didn't see them do much more than this.

IMO Kindl looked good for the Czechs

Overall the Canadians were probably better but once the Czechs get their legs under them I see them as tough opponent. I think it is pretty clear that as the Canadian forecheck goes, so goes the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->