How Dallas did on day one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Courtesy of Andrews..

(it's not an official article, so it could be posted entirely)..

June 26, 2004
Associated Press

RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA ---- The Dallas Stars took a gigantic sh*t this afternoon in the land of Dixie, where the 2004 NHL Entry Draft is currently unfolding. Dallas, unable to deal forward Bill Guerin to Florida for the 7th overall pick (as speculated), began the day with the 20th overall pick.

As things worked out, however, the Stars didn't need that 7th pick to land a highly-talented player. The downward spiral of such top-rated talent as Robbie Schremp and Wojtek Wolski should have ensured a top offensive prospect to add to the talent-deprived Stars system. Instead of drafting at 20 GM Doug Armstong instead chose to deal the pick to New Jersey for the 22nd overall and a third round pick later in the day.

Wolski went to Colorado at 21, adding to their already top-notch offensive depth and virtually ensuring their dominance of Dallas for years to come. Nonetheless, Dallas had the chance to take Robbie Schremp again at 22, but opted to trade yet again. This time it was the bitter rival San Jose Sharks who came calling. Army put aside his hatred for the divisional foe, and bent over and placed his hands facedown on the table while the Sharks sent the 28 and nine billionth picks in exchange for the 22 (which was used on Lukas Kaspar, who will kick Dallas' ass for years to come).

Despite Army's furious insistence that Dallas trade that 28th pick as well, no other NHL team had the lack of conscience to take him up on the offer. "We just couldn't do it" said Calgary Flames coach and GM Daryl Sutter. "It would have been akin to trading the mentally Pejorative Slured kid down the street a Bo Jackson 93 Donruss for his Roger Clemens rookie, just because the poor shlub was a huge Bo homer."

Armstrong, forced to draft a player with the pick, employed the old 'cover your eyes and point to a name in the book' trick to select Mark Fistric aproximately 80 picks before projected. "He'll do" Armstong was immediatley quoted as saying, as he returned to his Disney KidTeaser crossword puzzle.

Fistric's RedLine report didn't faze Armstrong one bit. Despite possessing what is described as "Beer-League Skating Skills," Army lauded the newest Dallas Star as "being a perfect fit for our already awful talent pool." Armestrong furthur stated that "Fistic's lack of offensive and skating skill fits our needs like a glove. My hope is that we can pair him with John Erskine next year for the overall worst defensive duo to ever lace 'em up." When asked to explain the obvious lack of hockey knowledge that he possessed, Armstrong dodged the question by banging on the table with his clipboard and loudly demanding "More Kool-Aid!!!"

Fistric wasn't on hand to respond. When contacted by telephone, his mother informed us that he was not home, and that he nor she were aware that Fistric was eligible for the draft. Needless to say, Mrs. Fistric was elated at the news. "I can't beleive this!" she belted. "He just started playing three weeks ago with some guys at work down at the A&P! And now he's a first rounder?!?"

Armstrong wasn't done embarassing himself there, however. Dallas amassed most of the picks in the 2nd round today, and were forced to decide on a name at 34. Surprisingly, Army decided on Defenseman Johan Fransson of Sweden.

Surprising because Fransson has displayed great talent and promise thus far in his career. What isn't surprising is that he suffered a shoulder injury two years ago that required major reconstuction surgery earlier this year. "Our hope is that the arm will have to be removed," said Armstrong. "Jim Abbott was a huge hit for a few years in the Major Leagues, and we're shooting for the first one-armed NHLer." Armstrong then rolled up his sleeve to reveal a Def Leppard tattoo, while flashing the "devil horns."

With their later 2nd round picks, the Stars returned to the plan of drafting unknowns. Winger Raymond Swabata, who has a snowball's chance in hell of making the NHL, was taken with the 52nd overall pick. Raymond was not available for comment, and we are currently working to confirm that he is still alive. At 56, Dallas selected Niklas Grossman of the Swedish Junior League. Grossman scored 1 goal and had 2 assists in 32 games for Sodertajle SK, and fits Armstong's "no talent" plan nicely.

Story developing...

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Actually, I think Dallas did okay. 48 hours ago, the Dallas blueline prospects look paper thin:

Erskine, Daley.. that is all.

Now added:

Belle, Fistric, Fransson, Grossman

As someone who sees Fistric often, he's not that bad of a skater. His top end speed needs work and he's not super quick down low, but in terms of turning he's good, and he doesn't get beat with speed all that often.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Beer-league skating skills? More proof that the writers at Redline Report need to lay of the sauce. Fistric's positional game is sound enough that his lack of top-end speed doesn't really hurt him that much...and he's decent laterally. No Cory Cross, that's for sure.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Jay Thompson said:
Actually, I think Dallas did okay. 48 hours ago, the Dallas blueline prospects look paper thin:

Now added:

As someone who sees Fistric often, he's not that bad of a skater. His top end speed needs work and he's not super quick down low, but in terms of turning he's good, and he doesn't get beat with speed all that often.

Right Miz..

Erskine has low pairing upside if he even has an upside left. Daley, Belle, Fransson and Nickerson I like, but why waste your 1st on a limited #6 defenseman we are already loaded with, let alone Grossman, WTF..

I want Army out.. total clown of a GM in terms of drafting..

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Jay Thompson said:

you're dead on, i've seen tons of fistric for two years as well, and i was in awe at how bad they made his skating out to be. he skates fine for his age, you know, 18. sure he has developing to do, but he's fine positionally, moving from side to side, good at turning against forecheckers and rushers like you say, he is very tough to get around

i liked the pick for dallas, i think fistric will develop into something solid, he CAN already be a dominant presense on the blueline, i've seen him play exceptional against our cougars before. his offensive skills will develop as well, he's decent enough not to write him off as a on dimensional physical blueliner

plus, this now gives dallas some leeway if they wish to move a dman prospect now, maybe erskine or belle again or even nickerson.. whomever, they can afford to maybe package something up with guerin and get a young forward.. who knows

BCCHL inactive

Modano = Dud said:
With their later 2nd round picks, the Stars returned to the plan of drafting unknowns. Winger Raymond Swabata, who has a snowball's chance in hell of making the NHL, was taken with the 52nd overall pick. Raymond was not available for comment, and we are currently working to confirm that he is still alive.

Whoever wrote this should have his fingers severed.

First, the author doesn't have the respect to spell the name right. It is Raymond Sawada, and he was only ranked 4 spots lower than fellow BCHL'er Kris Chucko, who was taken 24th overall by the Calgary Flames. I would say that Sawada has more than a snowball's chance in hell of making the NHL, especially since he is committed to Cornell University for the next 4 years. I bet the author of this article didn't know that.

DiMo

Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
OK, the article, even as satire, is a bit harsh, but it sums up the Stars fan's sentiments today. They parlayed what could have been Wolski or Meszaros into Fistric, Sawada and a 3rd round pick in next year's draft. I'm sorry, but that sucks ass. The player that Dallas wanted went the pick before (at 19) and the Stars staff went into a frenzy and blew up. IMO, they bad 2 solid picks today that weren't reaches and I don't know what they were thinking with the rest. I'm not saying the Fistric is a bad player. He's just such a reach and after passing up some good talent, it is a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Jay Thompson said:

Now added:

Exactly. Dallas did better than most people think. Fransson was slated as a First Rounder, and they got him in the Second.

This Andrew guy makes Fistric sound like a nothing. IMO, if there is one defenseman ready to make an NHL club, or challenge one, it's him.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Fedz said:
Exactly. Dallas did better than most people think. Fransson was slated as a First Rounder, and they got him in the Second.

This Andrew guy makes Fistric sound like a nothing. IMO, if there is one defenseman ready to make an NHL club, or challenge one, it's him.

Brian Burke said in an interview that one scout told him ''There are about 10 players in this draft guaranteed to make the NHL, and Fistric is one of them.''

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
fistric

Sorry but fistric went way too early he is a bit of a project and is not 1st rd material.I did not undertand what dallas was up to but they lost the chance to draft some solid prospects.You can not be happy with what dallas did today...

DiMo

Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
Fedz said:

Fransson was a great pick. I like Lammers. Other than that, the Stars reached everywhere else and did nothing with the extra picks they traded down for. Very disappointing.

DiMo

Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brian Burke said in an interview that one scout told him ''There are about 10 players in this draft guaranteed to make the NHL, and Fistric is one of them.''

Really, with the way Dallas brings prospects along, Fistric is not going to be playing in Dallas next year. If Daley didn't make the team playing the way he did in training camp, Fistric has a snowball's chance in hell making the team. Surely, the Stars didn't draft him with this thinking.

I think the Stars panicked when Korpitkoski went at #19 and it blew up the rest of the draft. I don't have another explaination for it.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
DiMo said:
Really, with the way Dallas brings prospects along, Fistric is not going to be playing in Dallas next year. If Daley didn't make the team playing the way he did in training camp, Fistric has a snowball's chance in hell making the team. Surely, the Stars didn't draft him with this thinking.

I think the Stars panicked when Korpitkoski went at #19 and it blew up the rest of the draft. I don't have another explaination for it.

I'm pretty sure the scout meant players that would have a long, prosperous NHL career.

lace-em'-up

May 11, 2003
Visit site
if dallas drafted fransson first and fistric 2nd i dont think there would be all this fuss, but they did pass on some quality Dmen that angers me, but recently dallas first have come out ok, but they are iffy at drafting Defensman, vagner being a let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->