How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes, leafs are going through a slump right now. But watch the games prior to the slump. He has an uncanny ability to recognize when moment swings in our way the second we gain some momentum Marner/Tavares or Mathews goes out and the other coach cant put their best players on because they usually have played half the shift against the leafs kadri line or even the 4th line and surprisingly lost momentum.

For a stretch of games Babcock mastered the sequence of having 3 leaf lines consistently carrying the momentum and the opposing coach couldnt handle it. He lost that for a bit hence why Marner and Mathews are together, grass is always greener on the other side. I see so many dumb mistakes and flustered moves from the other coaches panicking trying to alter and scramble their lines mid-game due to Babcocks line matching then people comment after the game on how they outcoached babcock yet leafs still won lol.. When I watch both coaches and the linematching, tactics, line usage I see Babcock has them fooled more games than not.

He has Matthews playing 18:06 minutes and Marleau and Hainsey playing far too much. This team should be much better. No excuses. The talent is there.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Overall he is a hard working coach from out west. Not many guys work harder. I wish he would make in game adjustments a lot faster. I wish he would have/practice a 2nd break out plan when other teams shut us down. But we are all would be coaches in Canada so I have always believed you hire a guy and support him but you give him a timeline and an objective and you hold him to it. I hope we go for the Cup this year. I have been told that is the plan so I am onside. Go Leafs Go!

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
This team finished dead last (30th out of 30 teams) 3 seasons ago..

And incredibly enough, people seem to think this team is a finished product.

It's baffling how badly short-term memory loss affects this fanbase.
Fire stupid Babcock, and tell that idiot Dubas where he can stick his scientific method and fancy shmancy logic, wisdom and reason!
We pride ourselves in having the kind of "win -now" brains that has worked so well for this organization for decades, suckering other GM's to take our skilled players so we get torn ACLs back, sending chances of winning into outer space !
Why are we not leading the league in goals against while shorthanded? All good Canadians know that is treason!
Babcock's odd obsessions with speed, skill, and spatial awareness has ruined hockey by making it a thinking man's game! We won't stand for that in this marketplace!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Fire stupid Babcock, and tell that idiot Dubas where he can stick his scientific method and fancy shmancy logic, wisdom and reason!
We pride ourselves in having the kind of "win -now" brains that has worked so well for this organization for decades, suckering other GM's to take our skilled players so we get torn ACLs back, sending chances of winning into outer space !
Why are we not leading the league in goals against while shorthanded? All good Canadians know that is treason!
Babcock's odd obsessions with speed, skill, and spatial awareness has ruined hockey by making it a thinking man's game! We won't stand for that in this marketplace!

Seriously, these poems need to stop.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Babs is going through a slump just like the rest of the team.

Can Babs make a team better than they are? Who knows. Maybe.

For better or worse he’s what we got this year and we’re still in 3rd place.

The sky isn’t falling yet.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If the Leafs maintain their post-Leivo pace for the rest of the season there is a good chance they will squeak into the playoffs as the second wild card with 96 points and face Tampa in the first round. That is where they have been heading over the past 23 games.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I'm on record as saying this team is a "serious contender". Still believe it. However, this past month has been difficult. While I agree there are aspects to Babcock's coaching I don't like, our loss tonight and on too many nights during this past month are not on the coach, imo. This team needs to find it's identity. The leadership core needs to get this team going. This is a very talented team that is not putting forth the effort required. That's on the players.
Every year practically the Leafs have Seasonally Affective Disorder, between the Holidays and the All Star break
This is not on the coach- but on the lighting! - but I understand SAD may have many layers
the sports medicine department needs to fix it, with bright lights and some protein filled beefsteak
Perhaps proper adjustable LED lights can be put in the dressing room and the players can get whatever team psychology therapy as they relax, and then by game time they will be slayers!

A light therapy box mimics outdoor light. Researchers believe this type of light causes a chemical change in the brain that lifts your mood and eases other symptoms of SAD.
Seasonal affective disorder treatment: Choosing a light therapy box

SAD-Light2-1024x536.jpg

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
yeah iunno bout Mike, I'm starting to think he's over-experienced, Olympic gold's, Memorial Cup, WC, SC's why would a guy like him deserve my confidence:naughty:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Babcock is so weird, this guy does so much dumb shit for being such a smart guy. This guy stacked the pp against the wings, but only gave them like fifty seconds to a minute. The whole point of stacking is that the first unit plays the entire time. Otherwise you have a bunch of shit on pp2.

And then he put out brown in ot. Why the f*** would brown need to see the ice when you have mitch, naz,matty, William, jt, kap?????

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
So, I think Babcock is a world-class coach. I really do. Awesome coach to land, I remember how excited I was to hear that he turned the plan around from Buffalo to coach our team.

Last night, when Marleau took his tripping penalty, and we were killing it off, trapped in our own end. I thought hey, awesome, we will get to see Muzzy do what he was brought in to do.. and I look to see Hainsley and I want to say Zietzev, or Guards or even Rielly, and I see Hainsley try to backhand a puck out of the corner of the zone, which is easily blocked and they almost score. I think to myself, man, I am so glad we got Muzzy. But no, Hainsley stays on the ice... Detriot scored.

I honestly thought Muzzy was benched for pretty much the last 6 minutes of the third. And Babs starts... Hainsley again, puts Muzzy out on the ice with Brown and Kadri.... in Overtime, with not a sniff of JT or Nylander. I mean I get he wants to establish dominance in the hierarchy of the Maple Leafs dressing room, but man, it seems like he was playing to not lose, rather than win.

I know this is a dress rehearsal for what the playoffs are going to be like, tight, clogged, lack of space, clutching and grabbing, but what's the point of having a race car if you never take it to the track???

-End Rant.

PS I think the Leafs win tonight. They play well against top tier teams.

Reactions: ER89 and Al14

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He is definitely one of the best coaches in the league.

The roster however has several key weaknesses.

Reactions: AreBe

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
leafswings.PNG

Look at the ice time for Morgan, and there was a shot of Jake on the bench with a look of let me out there

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He is definitely one of the best coaches in the league.

The roster however has several key weaknesses.

Come on, Babcock is working with a lot of talent. They should be in a better place with this team. The team isn't THAT flawed. He has the best set of cs in the NHl, and a Vezina candidate in net, and a Norris candidate on D.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Babcock is a good coach but I don’t believe he’s the right coach for this group of players.

Babcock is the type of coach who will do more with less. You give him a heavier team with less talent and skill like the Islanders, Detroit or Anaheim for example and he can work wonders with his motivational tactics.

You give him this Leafs group and Babcock becomes his own worst enemy. These players aren’t buying into the system as it doesn’t suit their personnel. His belief every line still needs a grinder is just one example of his outdated approach.

Leafs miss the playoffs and I actually believe he’s gone, make the playoffs and he gets another year regardless of where they exit.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think this question would be better asked in the offseason. Asking after a loss will sway the poll imho

One win or loss wouldn't change my thinking either way Salt

You have to ask some questions

Is Babcock the right coach to be coaching this team with this roster makeup?
Do his systems and game plan suit this roster?
How is he dealing with adversity with a very young roster?
What's the PP strategy? And what's his backup plan if it's not working?
How flexible is he systems wise and is he to stubborn to readjust?

I think those are fair questions worth asking since the team hasn't been good now for quite some time and Andersen carried them for periods before that

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think he is a good coach. My concern is more that he and Dubas may not be on the same page on how to build a team and style of play. We are built small and quick which would more support a rush style, but Babcock wants to play a chip it in heavy cycle game. Not sure we have the personnel to play that way.

Ding ding...winner of the chicken dinner!! He is always trying to play a game that we do not have players for. I really do not understand why this constantly happens with this guy. If you have fast players...why are you having them STAND STILL at the other teams blue line to redirect a stretch pass into the zone? why? you just negated your speed by doing that and allowed the other teams D to just grab it and head the other way.

When we were a last place team we played with good structure...moving as unit out of the zone...now that we have skill...we play like Carlyle wanted us to play..off the glass and out. It's friggen NUTSO. I really don't get why other teams look like the '72 russians when they pass compared to us and we STRUGGLE to make a simple pass...we just generally lob the puck to an area of the ice in HOPE of our guy getting there first. WTF is that about?

I really don't think the players are freelancing this..I think it is taught from the coaching staff along with the following rules: No slapshots unless it's a 1/2 slapper that can be tipped...no heavy body checking because you will be out of the play for 1 sec to recover...no real forcheck...just guide the players towards 1 side of the ice (your preference which side) ...

We now have the perfect guy to demonstrate this coaching theory of mine..Muzzin...he likes to slap it and hit...if he stops doing those 2 things..we know why.

The man is just over rated and he should have won 2-3 cups with those Wings teams...just sayin...

Reactions: ER89 and dsred

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm mixed on Babcock.

If Matthews is really a 13 million dollar player. And Tavares is really an 11 million dollar player. And Nylander is really a 7 million dollar player. And Marner is really a 9-10 million dollar player...

then... if all of that is true, Babcock must be a really lousy coach. He can't use THAT talent to put a consistent team together?

But then, at the same time, I think it's possible that all of those players (while still being very good), are dramatically overrated when it comes to money value, so it's not really Babcock's fault.

All I know is that it's ONE of our leaders fault. If our core is really THAT valuable, then Babcock sucks. But if our core is just dramatically overrated/paid, then it's Dubas that sucks, and Babcock has to try and make up for it.

member 262271

Seems like a possible mismatch between players and coach. It feels like grasping at straws at times but man what is going on with this team?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wish we could split the coaching job into 2 roles, keep Babcock as the head "let's go boys" shouter, and bring someone competent in to run line matching and breakouts.

I like Babs as a team builder, but he is a terrible tactician unless your roster is team Canada or 07 Detroit. The only way he won't overplay bad players is if your roster is so deep you don't have any bad players.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Yeah we need Mr Rogers to coach this group of millennials. You can’t be mean to them or hurt their feelings. Everyone gets 2 minutes on the powerplay and top line minutes even if you are stinking out the joint

Reactions: Bomber0104
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->