How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We're not the LA Kings and to expect us to play That way is lunacy, how about we try playing like the Lightning instead who are built like us and have been deep in the playoffs?

The teams not working hard enough you say? That sounds like a coaching issue then doesn't it

Pretty good when you consider what that supporting cast is built around

Pretty good? Zaitsev might be the worst starter in hockey.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
After tonight’s game let’s call a spade a spade here.

The excuse that they’ve been off a while and were rusty would be valid, IF they didn’t look like this prior. They looked like the exact same team.

Sluggish start, ineffective PP, stretch pass turnovers, dump and chase etc.

This dinosaur of a clown coach is running out of rope. Since their hot start ended late November, they’ve barely been a .500 team.

8 million a year? For what?

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
What do people want from this team and Babcock this year? Is it a win in the first round against the Bruins ? Is it conference finals? The cup?
Our two very best players are still on their elc. At the very least Babcock is trying to grow these kids into a team that can beat the Bruins and then take it from there.
We criticize the sports journalists like Simmons for their hysteria but ultimately it is our own short sightedness that allows it to happen.
I hope this fan base and the journalists that feed off of it don’t chase Babcock out of here if we fall short of automatic grandeur.

See I would normally agree with a statement like this and certainly at the start of the year I would have and was defending Babcock. Having played high level sports you come to understand just how much or how little of an impact a coach can have on a team in general. But he is losing me as a supporter right now with the way he appears to be approaching games for numerous reasons. I have no basis to claim that the players are also tired of certain aspects of they choices he makes, but I certainly would believe it if something was rumored. Not believing in your own coach has far reaching negative impacts and just because you are making millions in the NHL isnt going to change that kind of human response.

Reactions: weems

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We're not the LA Kings and to expect us to play That way is lunacy, how about we try playing like the Lightning instead who are built like us and have been deep in the playoffs?

The teams not working hard enough you say? That sounds like a coaching issue then doesn't it

The Kings are in last place...not sure where you've been but this is in no way a model team to compare to. I think what you meant to say the Preds, the Flames, the Bruins, the Jets, the Knights, the Islanders??

I guess you misspoke and have been completely out of the loop of the 31 team NHL (they added a team last year in case you haven't heard).

The team isn't not working hard. I'm sure these players are working hard in their opinion. The problem is William Nylander's idea of "working hard" is a whole lot different than Dylan Larkin's of "working hard".

You're new to this sport clearly.

Stick to soccer Kiwi.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I hope so...but they look bad. Do not look like a playoff team at all. Almost as if the team has tuned Babcock out.

The fact that the forwards are still dumping and chasing or ringing it around the boards to instead of passing directly tells you all you need to know. Babs is forcing this team to play a style that would have been Burkes wet dream. Unfortunately for him Dubas is building a roster that isn't anything close to that profile (thank god).

Anyone think Dubas would be balzy enough to fire Babs this summer and hire Q should the leafs be embarrassed again in the playoffs?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I voted not confident but maybe they can turn it around. Mainly because I’m holding out hope that they are playing rope-a-dope and will come out banging in the playoffs.
Surely you couldn’t find another collection of 20 NHL players that would turn their head when their goalie gets run unless it’s an act.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The team isn't not working hard. I'm sure these players are working hard in their opinion. The problem is William Nylander's idea of "working hard" is a whole lot different than Dylan Larkin's of "working hard".

Then he wont be too surprised when he gets moved this summer. Maybe he was under the impression that Dubas comment "I wont trade you" meant he had complete protection from being traded for the duration of that contract. All he meant was I wont sign and trade you before the TDL.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Babcock doesn't at least win one round this post season there should be a lot of heat on him.

His record in the recent past as a head coach isn't that impressive IMO

SeasonTeamsWin%Playoff Result
2002-03Anaheim Mighty Ducks0.579Lost in Finals
2003-04Anaheim Mighty Ducks0.463Out of Playoffs
2005-06Detroit Red Wings0.756Lost in round 1
2006-07Detroit Red Wings0.689Lost in round 3
2007-08Detroit Red Wings0.701Won Championship
2008-09Detroit Red Wings0.683Lost in Finals
2009-10Detroit Red Wings0.622Lost in round 2
2010-11Detroit Red Wings0.634Lost in round 2
2011-12Detroit Red Wings0.622Lost in round 1
2012-13Detroit Red Wings0.583Lost in round 2
2013-14Detroit Red Wings0.567Lost in round 1
2014-15Detroit Red Wings0.61Lost in round 1
2015-16Toronto Maple Leafs0.421Out of Playoffs
2016-17Toronto Maple Leafs0.579Lost in round 1
2017-18Toronto Maple Leafs0.64Lost in round 1
2018-19Toronto Maple Leafs0.63
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: ElbowLander

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
See I would normally agree with a statement like this and certainly at the start of the year I would have and was defending Babcock. Having played high level sports you come to understand just how much or how little of an impact a coach can have on a team in general. But he is losing me as a supporter right now with the way he appears to be approaching games for numerous reasons. I have no basis to claim that the players are also tired of certain aspects of they choices he makes, but I certainly would believe it if something was rumored. Not believing in your own coach has far reaching negative impacts and just because you are making millions in the NHL isnt going to change that kind of human response.
I can understand that for sure. I think the main thing that the players might struggle with is that this is the nhl: the highest level of competition. Babcock coached the greatest team ever: the very boring and perfect 2014 Olympic team. He knows that if you take a bunch of refined players and get them to function as a team at the best of their ability you will win at the highest level. His wings teams were the same way; fundamentally sound and kind of boring. He is trying to do that to the Leafs obviously and for the players there will be highs and lows abut ultimately they are going to be mature and get there.
If you played high level sports you must see what Babcock is going for and how this is always a struggle for long term coaches. Proven results versus letting the players craft it themselves. Tonight we lost against a very loose team that obviously gets to play the way they want with very little pressure. Let’s see how our record looks against them five years from now.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He has assistants ...if he isn't as stubborn as it appears ,he will figure it out...he isn't the reason they are not great,he won't be the reason they are... the players need to execute...that game tonite was fukin embarassing!
When eveyone on the ice anticipated your next move correctly, it was hard. :popcorn:

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
0% faith. The guy is not a good coach.

Playing hainsey over muzzin sealed it for me tonight. Babcock will never move away from that pairing the same way he wont move away from keeping Hyman on the top two lines or playing komarov on the pp last year.

He is too stubborn to be a good coach anymore. It's time to get someone who can think the game better

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
When eveyone on the ice anticipated your next move correctly, it was hard. :popcorn:

Is that what happened did it?

Say, a question or two for you so I know you actually watched the game...

Who gave a two hand slash to knock the stick right out of Rielly's hand tonight?

Who did Babcock switch on the 1st PP unit?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If Babcock doesn't at least win one round this post season there should be a lot of heat on him.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

THANK YOU.

This is a great sample size too, it shows continued underperformance everywhere he has gone, the fact he was only able to win one cup with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom should tell you everything you need to know.

He has made a ton of massive blunders while here too, but there is a reason most Detroit fans came to hate him towards the end of his tenure.

Personally, I'm fine with him having the playoffs to prove something, but 1st round exit should be an immediate firing, a mediocre second round (get swept, out in 5 or get owned in 6 losing games bigly) should also be him getting fired.

And for all the talk about his "excellent development," what happened with Willie? What happened with Zaitsev? What happened with Brown? Almost like Matthews and Marner were going to be stars even if Dallas Eakins coached them....

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

"Out of playoffs" - took over a last placed team

Makes playoffs the very next year.

You're better than this PromisedLand, I've seen some of your posts.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's more painful watching that powerplay, than it is sticking my hand in a hot cast iron skillet.

People have been complaining that the Leafs have been getting hardly any PPs this year. I think that most games the refs don't give the Leafs PPs because they are trying to save this team from embarrassing themselves.

Reactions: AreBe

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I tried not to hate on him and give him chances to change the structure a bit...but yeah I have almost no confidence in him now. This is not working

To begin our power play sucks lol. Our first unit has the best goal scoring centre in the league, a two time mvp finalist, a Norris contender, a elite superstar playmaker, and a back to back 30 goal scorer. Yet what is the result? A dog s*** powerplay that generates nothing. Everything they do is so predictable I can call it a mile away. Every play is a marner/matthews rush into the zone and when they immediately enter they dump it off to the man standing still on the boards, teams have figured this out and pressure the man on the boards causing turnovers. It doesn't take a genius to see this. Also, can we try one game with matthews/marner on their off sides?? Just so there's at least some threat of a one timer?? That could open up more on the power play

Additionally, teams know how to beat the leafs, there's a obvious blueprint on them. Clog the natural zone not allowing the stretch pass and boom, the leafs have been neutralized. A team with this much skill and creativity shouldn't be stopped by such a simple adjustment by the other coach. Aren't we easily last in the league in icings or something?

This isn't going to cut it, but hopefully he does something worth his salary and helps

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
If you watched the game, what were your thoughts when the Wing ran over Freddy and no one even looked at the guy. That’s not the first time that happened either. Are they told not to stick up for one another? Seems proposterous.

How can he win with guys like that?
Looked like Zaitsev was ready to go, but the guy skated away.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Is that what happened did it?

Say, a question or two for you so I know you actually watched the game...

Who gave a two hand slash to knock the stick right out of Rielly's hand tonight?

Who did Babcock switch on the 1st PP unit?
I had the game on my PC, and I was watching the game while I was surfing the net. So, don't remember that much.
Did Bab switch Kadri to 2nd PP?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
babcock.png

This is year four for Babs and if they suffer a few more first round losses its doubtful he finishes the entire eight years.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I had the game on my PC, and I was watching the game while I was surfing the net. So, don't remember that much.
Did Bab switch Kadri to 2nd PP?

So you didn't watch the game but you're on the keyboard here clicking away about how Babcock screwed up.

You're a joke bud.

Get back on your Playstation :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The guy isn't a miracle worker, and his salary makes him a target. But, I wouldn't replace him for this. Players need to show up. The team's ability to create a cycle down low has been frustrating, but I'm not sure if that's Babs, and not an effort/team make-up issue. This is why we resort to the stretch pass so often, due to teams suffocating the neutral zone, forcing us to play dump and chase or beat them with a stretch pass. Matthews hasn't been the same along the boards since his shoulder went the first time. Which of our skills guys do we actually trust to come out with a puck in a battle down-low at this point? The only one I fully trust is JT. Matthews is good most of the time but leaves me wanting more (I felt he fought harder along the boards in year 1).

It is easy to blame Babs, because we want our team to be great, and it can't be the team or the guy who helped assemble the team. Pretty much every fan base thinks their coach is worse than he probably is, and that their GM and players are better than they are. Just look at a bunch of other boards. Its the same thing rinse and repeat unless the GM has completely screwed up in an obvious way (us with Nonis, Benning, Chiarelli). Babs is the easiest scapegoat.

I don't think he'll be fired if even if we go out in round one, but he may have some of his assistants replaced. After that, he's on borrowed time.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Egocock blows get him out, ego out coach q in, sinple. Q knows how to win with youbg superstars, not like this crap coach.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm on record as saying this team is a "serious contender". Still believe it. However, this past month has been difficult. While I agree there are aspects to Babcock's coaching I don't like, our loss tonight and on too many nights during this past month are not on the coach, imo. This team needs to find it's identity. The leadership core needs to get this team going. This is a very talented team that is not putting forth the effort required. That's on the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->