How concerned are you that if the Lightning win the Cup that Yzerman will leave for Detroit?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by JamieG19, May 18, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. DFC

DFC Registered User

This is all "You have no idea how much the Red Wings want him," without addressing any real reason he'd have to leave.

Money? I really doubt Jeff Vinik is going to be outbid when it comes to keeping the guy the franchise's success can be most directly linked to.

And with Vinny, I think you'd be surprised at how many people supported that decision, even at the time. Hell, even in the MSL debacle, which was much more polarizing, most fans sided with Yzerman. But those really don't have anything to do with anything.

The main point you continually ignore is, why would a guy so noted for his competitive spirit leave a contender (that he built) to essentially start over? I could understand you saying, "When Yzerman gets fired, Detroit is gonna try to get him." But you're saying Yzerman is going to leave after he wins a cup. As if that cup is going to satisfy him. If that were the case, he'd have ridden off into the sunset after his playing career finished.

2. OurlordAndSaviorKuch

OurlordAndSaviorKuch Registered User

Why would he leave us after winning one cup here? When this team and franchise has the potential for winning a few.

3. Lateriphobia Catalyst

Lateriphobia Catalyst Duplo Brickhead Sponsor

My concern is equal to that of - if we win that Stamkos will ask for a trade to Toronto.

4. Stammertime91

Stammertime91 Keep on keepin' on!

In all seriousness OP, there's one guy you need to ask as he deals primarily with the Lightning Executive branch of legislation and can answer you in indirect to direct forms of PMS. He's normally around here and posts on occasion when he isn't hanging out with SY, Scotty Bowman and you guessed it, "the Illitch family." His name is Matt Watson, short for Matthelangelo Watson and he would probably be best suited in answering any inside information you're seeking when it comes to this high level topic.

Hope that helps. Normally you can find him if you go back to the days of 04 in our forum history as he occasionally pops up like a zit on prom night in the game day threads. Good luck, God bless, and go forward and God bless America.

Stammer, out.

DominicBoltsFan and Hoek like this.
  5. Hoek

Hoek 001

Vinik was a Rangers fan, not a Bruins fan. RIP your argument if you can't even do basic research.

Q&A: Lightning owner on turning around the franchise

Just a businessman. :rolleyes:

Stammertime91 likes this.
  6. Werewolf

Werewolf Registered User

Damn this Red Wings fan has an ex-girlfriend vibe to him. You know the type ... dude moved on a long time ago. But psycho ex-girlfriend still talks about him like one day he’ll realize she is the one and come back like her knight in shining armor.

Nothing we say is gonna be enough for this guy. There is a big void in his life ... and nothing but hope fills it.

Dude...we are in the middle of a cup run. I know you look at old pictures and see how happy you were together and can’t fathom him being happy somewhere else. Let it go ... it’s creepy and weird.

7. Felonious Python

Felonious Python Still Drej

Technically, I think we didn't spend to the cap for the first few years (two?) while SFY got some larger pieces in place. (remember that we didn't even put Ohlund on LTIR until then)

He was always empowered to, however.

8. JamieG19

JamieG19 Registered User

I'm not understanding. So you're suggesting that Matthelangelo, who Yzerman tells his most inner secrets to, also posts on this board and will spill the beans to the HF forum folks? That's not Yzerman's style. You aren't going to get any Lightning insiders spewing any truth unless it's something they want the public to know.

Uhhhh, you're wrong. Partially right. The same as calling him a Bruins fan. He says he was a Rangers fan for 25 years and Bruins fan for 15 to 20 years.

Hardly deserving of your bragging...

He was a Bruins fan when his kids were young. He was involved in the Red Sox. As I said, was interested in the Bruins, but they weren't for sale, assessed the teams for sale and determined TB was the best business decision.

The point is, he is a business man. A business man does what he thinks will make him the most money. He spent money because he thought it would get him a return later. If he thinks he can get the same results and not need to outbid the Illitch's, that's what he will do.

SI: Were you looking at other teams besides the Lightning?"

JV: The Boston Bruins weren’t for sale, weren’t going to become for sale. I looked at Dallas, Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta before they moved to Winnipeg, Nashville, New Jersey, the Islanders, Columbus, Carolina ... just evaluating them all. One of the big factors was, where do you want to live? And Florida is a great place to live.
    Beside the great demographics of Tampa — 2% population increase per year, which is an incredible compounding effect — I just thought the whole community had so much potential that wasn’t realized. On top of a great hockey team, really welcoming people, successful sports in the past, lots to do. All of these factors. It just seemed like a place that my family would fit in really well.

SI: Was buying the Bruins your pipe dream?

JV: I don’t know. Even though I was a Bruins fan when my kids were young, for 15 or 20 years, I’m not sure they were in my heart. We kind of adopted them. Probably because we lived there, yes, that would’ve been the best thing to do. I don’t know if I’d call it a pipe dream. It’s not like I wanted my entire life to own the Rangers or the Bruins. I never thought about it. Maybe potentially."

9. FinnLightning26

FinnLightning26 Angery TB fan

He's a pretty bad business man if he thinks a sports team or even worse, a hockey team, will make him any considerable profits. He could spend his time doing about a million more profitable things.

Hoek likes this.
  10. DFC

DFC Registered User

Your first paragraph is hilarious for reasons you don't understand.

The rest of your post is basically you painting a dream scenario where your GM of choice would somehow be available after winning a Stanley Cup, and willing to go rebuild another franchise rather than contend for more Cups where he's at.

Stammertime91 likes this.
  11. FinnLightning26

FinnLightning26 Angery TB fan

In order to understand, he would need high level knowledge and judging by this thread, he doesn't have any.

12. Todd1a

Todd1a Kucherov or prospect

Don’t suck

13. Hoek

Hoek 001

Sounds like a real Bruins fan to me. :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm gonna keep bragging because I've totally schooled you in this thread. :P

14. Still All In

Still All In Plz stop pucks

Yes.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he did and I think that is partially why Julien is still here.

15. DFC

DFC Registered User

Sometimes I hate you.

Still All In likes this.
  16. Todd1a

I’ve always been surprised that Julien has not been hired as a gm in the league yet. Is it due to he is waiting for the Montreal job ? Or our job in Tampa more ?

17. T REX

T REX Registered User

Lock it please

18. Stammertime91

Yes Matthelangelo Watson. He's on here. His aka you know, also knamed as, is Matt Watson on here. I'm surprised out of all the Detroit Red wings knowledge you have you've never heard of him. He played for the Minnesota South Comets. Quick Google search would tell you that for goodness sake.
    Stammertime91:

2011-2018

Cause of death: laughed my ass off too hard I died.

DominicBoltsFan likes this.
  19. Still All In

Still All In Plz stop pucks

Yes.
    Yeah, well, some days I hate me too.

This, I wish I had a better idea, brother. I know he really wanted the Montreal job, and while he has applied elsewhere, I don't think hes keen on jumping ship from here unless its a role he really, truly wants. Carolina was a decent gig, but the owner was a cheap **** from what i've heard and wants to lowball everyone.

20. The Macho Man

The Macho Man Unexpected GF% of 100%

Dodged a bullet everyone!

21. The Gongshow

The Gongshow Coopers gonna Coop

Guys, we never have to worry. The Ducks/SJ of the east eint gonna win a cup anytime soon! We get to keep Yzerman as long as we continue to choke! :nod:

Hoek and FinnLightning26 like this.
  22. ScaredStreit

ScaredStreit Registered User

Yzerman being loved in Detroit has nothing to do whether he goes back or not. It's one thing if he goes back for a ceremony, but as general manager? Not going to happen.

23. Todd1a

Yzerman is staying for a while this team is not winning a cup for a while probably

FinnLightning26 likes this.
  24. Hit The Lights

Hit The Lights Registered User

Time to lock this thread up.

25. Stammertime91

But I don't think you guys understand. He's so close with the Ilitch family.

*pyramid hands*
    *puts on glasses*

He's so close with the Ilitch family that he's considered a son to them and he still has a key on his keychain that unlocks Detroit's underground man cave where he's still so loved in. I don't think Vinik is a hockey fan. I understand he's a Bruins, Rangers and now an owner of the Tampa Lighteningz but he's just a business man. He is probably going to let Yzerman go. He's probably going to let him talk and negotiate terms but he still has a house in Detroit and - hes just so close to the Ilitch family. The son cuts his grass and trims his hedges everyday for him and it would be his job for the taking to become GM for them.

He's just so close to the Ilitch family.

AmbulanceChaser likes this.