How concerned are you that if the Lightning win the Cup that Yzerman will leave for Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I'm sure everyone has heard all the talk that the Red Wings/Illitch family are going to go all out to lure Steve Yzerman back to Detroit to run the Red Wings and restore the Wings to greatness. Bringing Yzerman back will help calm the fans in Detroit by bringing back an icon to right the ship.

Headlines like this are rampant in the Detroit Sports outlet: "Is it far-fetched to say we know the next Wings GM will be Steve Yzerman, we just don't when that will happen?"

If Tampa Bay doesn't win the cup, I don't there's a chance that Yzerman leaves while the Lightning are close, but they win the Cup this year -- if the Red Wings throw the bank at Yzerman, like they are expected to do -- how concerned are you that Yzerman will leave?

I know that there are many in Detroit that are pulling to the Lightning to win it all this year precisely for that reason, that it makes Yzerman leaving for Detroit a more real possibility.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: T REX

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
not worried at all

Because you don't think it will happen or because you don't think it wouldn't make a difference?

Every time the Lightning win, Detroit buzzes.

With the Wings falling from greatness and with the death of Mike Illitch, I think anyone that doesn't believe the Red Wings/Illitch family are going to go all out to bring Yzerman back to Detroit is incredibly naive. The Illitch family are looking to restore the Red Wings and excite the fan base. There is one quick move they can do that will do that.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Not worried.

Stevie Y is in a great place with the ideal owner in Vinik who gives him all the resources he needs to do his job but who does NOT interfere AT ALL with Yzerman's decisions.

He also has developed one of the best drafting/prospect systems in the NHL with the help of the amazing scouting magic of Murray and his team.

Plus, while the Lightning fans adore him, he gets to live a nice quiet, private life where his every move isn't under a microscope. :)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I doubt it happens that way, if at all. At some point Yzerman's moves will stop working out as well as they have recently, the same as every other GM, and he'll be fired and immediately hired elsewhere. I'm not so sure that'll be Detroit. I think it's more fans/media wishful thinking than anything based in reality.

I'm not sure Yzerman feels the same loyalty to "the Illitch family" as he felt to Mike and Marian Illitch. And when Yzerman left Detroit, it didn't feel like he was taking a little detour through TB before ultimately living out his dream of being the DRW GM. It was more like he closed that chapter in Detroit and started another one.

I'm not saying Yzerman will never wind up back in Detroit. I'm just saying it'll be a more regular/day-to-day business thing than "the Golden Child" returning home. If the timing works out (Yzerman loses his TB job when there's an opening in Detroit, for instance), it'll probably happen. Otherwise, Yzerman will look at the jobs that are open.

Reactions: Stamper

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's got an owner that gives him 100% control, doesn't get involved in the decision making at all, and has deep pockets. He has a team that is built to contend long-term (that he built). There is speculation (not confirmed) that part of his deal with Vinik is a percentage stake in the team.

If he wants to go, that's fine, but there has been no indication from him that he intends to, and Vinik has publicly said that he wants him back.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I'm not saying Yzerman will never wind up back in Detroit. I'm just saying it'll be a more regular/day-to-day business thing than "the Golden Child" returning home. If the timing works out (Yzerman loses his TB job when there's an opening in Detroit, for instance), it'll probably happen. Otherwise, Yzerman will look at the jobs that are open.

I think you're drastically under-estimating Yzerman's status in Detroit with Red Wings fans. Yes, it would definitely be "the Golden Child" returning home.

It is already even if Yzerman had floundered as a GM. Since they've had success it is ramped up. And if the Lightning win, the desire to lure Yzerman back as GM will be on steroids. If the Lightning win, he will be the most sought after GM in the league and the Detroit hockey market will go crazy.

I'm not sure Lightning fans understand just have beloved Yzerman is in Detroit. Even without any GM success there would have been a push to bring him back. And the Red Wings are falling in popularity from their glory days. The Illitch's know that.

And when Yzerman left Detroit, it didn't feel like he was taking a little detour through TB before ultimately living out his dream of being the DRW GM

I respectfully disagree with that statement. There's been articles recently that detail the fact that Yzerman was looking around for a GM opportunity precisely because at the time Ken Holland was going anywhere and there wasn't a chance of him being the Red Wings GM.

Now things are very different.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
There is speculation (not confirmed) that part of his deal with Vinik is a percentage stake in the team.

I've never heard that before. I doubt it. That's something I could see Vinik doing after the Lightning win and the Red Wings are offering Yzerman the world -- but not when he was a rookie GM.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think you're drastically under-estimating Yzerman's status in Detroit with Red Wings fans. Yes, it would definitely be "the Golden Child" returning home.

It is already even if Yzerman had floundered as a GM. Since they've had success it is ramped up. And if the Lightning win, the desire to lure Yzerman back as GM will be on steroids. If the Lightning win, he will be the most sought after GM in the league and the Detroit hockey market will go crazy.

I'm not sure Lightning fans understand just have beloved Yzerman is in Detroit. Even without any GM success there would have been a push to bring him back. And the Red Wings are falling in popularity from their glory days. The Illitch's know that.

I respectfully disagree with that statement. There's been articles recently that detail the fact that Yzerman was looking around for a GM opportunity precisely because at the time Ken Holland was going anywhere and there wasn't a chance of him being the Red Wings GM.

Now things are very different.

I absolutely know how beloved Steve Yzerman is in Detroit. I think you misunderstood a lot of my statements. Yes, to Detroit fans, it would look like "the Golden Child" coming home. I just don't think that's how/why Yzerman would do it, if it ever happens. I don't think Yzerman is as wrapped up in his own aura as everyone around him is/was, and I don't think he's sitting around dreaming about going back to Detroit.

Yes, Yzerman left Detroit because the door to the GM job was closed. He had his eye on that job because that's where he apprenticed. I don't think we can take that and conclude he still has his eye on that job, and would walk away from his current one to go back.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I've never heard that before. I doubt it. That's something I could see Vinik doing after the Lightning win and the Red Wings are offering Yzerman the world -- but not when he was a rookie GM.
You doubt it because it fits your desired outcome. Vinik has always been high on Yzerman, and Yzerman is on his second contract with us anyway.

Reactions: Master P

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
1quPpLw.png

Worried? I'm worried that wings fans can't get over the fact that Yzerman might be happier somewhere other than Detroit.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
You doubt it because it fits your desired outcome. Vinik has always been high on Yzerman, and Yzerman is on his second contract with us anyway.

I doubt it because it is extremely, extremely rare in sports to give an employee a stake of the franchise unless there's extraordinary circumstances. There's no extraordinary circumstances with a first time NHL GM -- just giving them a job is enough.

If it happens (Tampa wins the Cup), I think Lightning fans are going to be in for a shock at the level talk and speculation that this will happen.

The Illitch's want to put the Wings back on the map.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think yzerman is staying with the lightning for many more years he has been building the lightning since 2010 and I think he wants to see if he can win multiple cups like the penguins and blackhawks did. For the next 4 to 5 years in Tampa bay yzerman will contend for the Stanley cup each season. Would I say he never returns to Detroit? I’d never say never to that but I don’t think it happens in a year or two. now 4 or 5 years from now when Tampa needs a rebuild or retool at least he may leave if he has some guys in Detroit to build around and just needs the depth. For instance yzerman had a 20 year old stamkos and a 19 year old hedman in Tampa bay before he got to Tampa! So he knew he had two stars and just had to build major depth around them. That probably the main reason he pick Tampa bay over the Minnesota Job back in 2010.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I doubt it because it is extremely, extremely rare in sports to give an employee a stake of the franchise unless there's extraordinary circumstances. There's no extraordinary circumstances with a first time NHL GM -- just giving them a job is enough.

If it happens (Tampa wins the Cup), I think Lightning fans are going to be in for a shock at the level talk and speculation that this will happen.

Vinik gave the first ceo a ownership percentage to get him to accept the job in Tampa. So it’s not impossible that on yzermans second contract he got a ownership stake.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yzerman’s built a team with the potential to win multiple Cups and I don’t see him leaving after just one. When this core is done (and keep in mind that aside from Stamkos and Hedman most of our true core is in their early 20s) then maybe I could see him being more open to the idea of going back to Detroit, but I just don’t see him doing all that work to assemble a great team only to leave so early in its success.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not worried. He has full control here and I cannot imagine him wanting to leave a contender that he has worked so hard to build in order to practically start over again. If it's a challenge he wants, holding the team together in the cap era is harder than building said contender

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I'm sure everyone has heard all the talk that the Red Wings/Illitch family are going to go all out to lure Steve Yzerman back to Detroit to run the Red Wings and restore the Wings to greatness. Bringing Yzerman back will help calm the fans in Detroit by bringing back an icon to right the ship.

Headlines like this are rampant in the Detroit Sports outlet: "Is it far-fetched to say we know the next Wings GM will be Steve Yzerman, we just don't when that will happen?"

If Tampa Bay doesn't win the cup, I don't there's a chance that Yzerman leaves while the Lightning are close, but they win the Cup this year -- if the Red Wings throw the bank at Yzerman, like they are expected to do -- how concerned are you that Yzerman will leave?

I know that there are many in Detroit that are pulling to the Lightning to win it all this year precisely for that reason, that it makes Yzerman leaving for Detroit a more real possibility.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Master P

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
An other words, "Is Yzerman an lowly rudwing again?" Yeah lel thanks for an kek. Really had me an worred, for about an second before i realzied that Yzerman has an brain. Get an real. He'd rather drink from an baba and wear an bonnet at an run down detroit then kicking it an oldschool at sunny an paradise when an jeff vinik pays his runescape membership every an month. Keep an dreaming lowly rudwing :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Hoek

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
An other words, "Is Yzerman an lowly rudwing again?" Yeah lel thanks for an kek. Really had me an worred, for about an second before i realzied that Yzerman has an brain. Get an real. He'd rather drink from an baba and wear an bonnet at an run down detroit then kicking it an oldschool at sunny an paradise when an jeff vinik pays his runescape membership every an month. Keep an dreaming lowly rudwing :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

An this. Do people really believe a intellectual would an willingly be an gm of the lowly ruds? Only way this would an happen is if an woodland fairy told an yzerman he had to do it less an flippin world be destroyed cause an ken holland is an mad titan. Friggen ruds an really reaching this time, an they are all an short to begin with

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I think you'll be in more of a shock when he picks to go to a different team yours is stuck in tirefire for the next decade.

How hilarious would it be if Yzerman declined Detroit, you guys would probably riot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad