How Come Babcock Is So Unwilling To Make Adjustments?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Some sports fans, like myself, have played multiple sports, and in my case, I'm an educated hockey coach, qualified to coach at the major junior hockey level.

I don't think I'm alone on these boards in having vast experience coaching hockey. So, not all of us are sports stupid fans.

Their default is that the coach is the coach and we are not and therefore we have no right to criticize.
No details required.

Reactions: ToMaLe and SAMCRO44

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
And regardless of the issue, merely appealing to authority is a lazy argument otherwise people couldn’t be critical of anything in pro sports.
Or politicians....or your professors ..or the press....and on and on.
If the coach is always right, there is no point in discussing anything .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Their default is that the coach is the coach and we are not and therefore we have no right to criticize.
No details required.
You can be critical of the obvious things but for a lot of it unless your attending practices or in the room it's nothing more than a guess as to why they are doing what they are doing.
I always find it funny that people just assume these professionals just do things without reason.
Right or wrong you can be sure that everything has thought behind it.

Of course you could always just go the mouth breather route and blame everything on 'ego' or that a player is his 'son'.

Reactions: 1specter

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Babcock is an old world, old school coach who is stuck in his ways.

He isn’t a new world, new school coach similar to someone such as Jon Cooper or Mike Sullivan.

As good as Babcock is I believe he is heavily overrated and I believe the Leafs would be even better with Cooper or Sullivan behind the bench.

Hahaha

I wish you were on these boards when Carlyle was coaching. The same sentiment was said about him:

"I hate Cave Man Carlyle. The new NHL has past him by. Toronto needs a possession coach like Mike Babcock."

Reactions: Gabriel426

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I agree. I think with how much Matthews was scoring on the PP early in the season, him and Marner got overconfident and kept trying to set up the Matthews shot.

I see how they could have got overconfident but I don't buy this as an explanation of what's going on. All of these players are smart, they are creative.

If Babcock has seen them do the same thing over and over with the same result (which he has, as everyone else has seen it) either he's telling them to change it up, get creative, etc. and they are just ignoring him, or he hasn't told them to change it up. Honestly, which seems more likely?

RLF

May 5, 2014
BS . I have seen it done where you take your best 5 offensive guys and let them do what they want on PP. We could try that too. But we don't. Unless guys are given free will to ad lib it will get defended.

It is not that hard to defend. You put a big guy down low to move and control Tavares. You force Marner to shoot or Rielly to shoot every time by playing a 3 - 1 defense and top forward takes away the Matty passing lane. So you take away Matty and Tavares and play 3 on 2 and force Rielly or Marner to shoot. They have very poor shots so it works. This is not brain surgery here. Common guys.

eh...I would find it hard to believe Babcock has told them "don't be creative, we have a structure to follow here on the PP, don't deviate".
The PP is the time most teams are the most creative. I just think the players were stuck on what had worked in the past, expected it to keep working and couldn't find an answer themselves to how the PKers were shutting down the known plays. I am pretty sure if the players were being creative and opening up lanes and scoring chances, Babcock wouldn't be unhappy with that. Since the PP was not creating...If Babcock was not working on anything new, he should have. If the players were not being creative enough, that is on them.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He is switching up the PP so that is something.

I don't have many reservations with Babs; sure he makes some decisions that I don't agree with but at the end of the day he is the one that is with these players day in and day out and for that I trust him.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Some sports fans, like myself, have played multiple sports, and in my case, I'm an educated hockey coach, qualified to coach at the major junior hockey level.

I don't think I'm alone on these boards in having vast experience coaching hockey. So, not all of us are sports stupid fans.
Still looking for where he said any of us are stupid. Look up Dunning-Kruger effect. I know of this because I am a world renowned sports psychologist who has spent years perfecting the proper method for hypnotizing goats.

Reactions: nsleaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad