How Come Babcock Is So Unwilling To Make Adjustments?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He’s stubborn - probably his biggest fault (and I say this as a fan of Babcock).

The inability or unwillingness to change up the power play (especially the 2nd unit last season) is definitely a legit criticism of the coaching staff as a whole.

I will say though that babcock is more willing to learn and adapt than some give him credit for - he dropped Matt Martin like a stone eventually.

All you guys said "stack the PP" and all will be good, things aren't as easy as you all think.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All you guys said "stack the PP" and all will be good, things aren't as easy as you all think.
Everyone and their brother knows exactly what Leafs are doing after a half season on PP. Teams have figured out how to defend it now. It is really that simple. As Matty said it is not the players it is the puck movement system.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Everyone and their brother knows exactly what Leafs are doing after a half season on PP. Teams have figured out how to defend it now. It is really that simple. As Matty said it is not the players it is the puck movement system.

But everyone on here says to just stack the PP and the top 2 lines and we are sure to win, no coaching needed?

Reactions: DarkKnight

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
But everyone on here says to just stack the PP and the top 2 lines and we are sure to win, no coaching needed?
BS . I have seen it done where you take your best 5 offensive guys and let them do what they want on PP. We could try that too. But we don't. Unless guys are given free will to ad lib it will get defended.

It is not that hard to defend. You put a big guy down low to move and control Tavares. You force Marner to shoot or Rielly to shoot every time by playing a 3 - 1 defense and top forward takes away the Matty passing lane. So you take away Matty and Tavares and play 3 on 2 and force Rielly or Marner to shoot. They have very poor shots so it works. This is not brain surgery here. Common guys.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The world would be a far better place if more sports fans realized how little they actually know.
Some sports fans, like myself, have played multiple sports, and in my case, I'm an educated hockey coach, qualified to coach at the major junior hockey level.

I don't think I'm alone on these boards in having vast experience coaching hockey. So, not all of us are sports stupid fans.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The world would be a far better place if more sports fans realized how little they actually know.

sports message boards wouldn't exist, at least.

probably a good thing, really.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No offense, but how old are you?

You can't expect to have your opinion taken seriously when you call people names like "egocock". That's not something that adults, or even mature children do.

Do better.

definitely needs to get the syllables right, at least.

so many names, for every different babcock mood or action.

Badcock?

Fabcock?

Radcock?

Sadcock?

Blabcock?

Jabcock?

Dabcock?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
BS . I have seen it done where you take your best 5 offensive guys and let them do what they want on PP. We could try that too.

love the bruins PP. everybody just circling round and round all over the place, filling in for each other.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't have much of an issue with how Babs does the lines most of the time. I don't like Kap on the fourth line or not getting PP time but it'll happen at some point. My issue with Babs is when the opposition is really clogging up the neutral zone, he'll continue to run the stretch pass. It leads to a ton of turnovers, icings and defensive zone draws. The talent is there with guys like Matthew's, Nylander, Marner etc to carry the puck up. We've seen it happen a lot this year and most recently, against the Islanders it was very obvious what they were doing. Trying that pass for 40 minutes straight with no success makes no sense.

Reactions: Slyfox

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Babcock coaches the team like a billionaire invester gets rich.... Stick to your winning strategy long term and don't get sucked into throwing the winning strategy out the window after a short-term loss

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I dunno, but I think it's pretty clear that babs is more extreme than most in sticking with his matchups.

Matthews literally didn't play one game without Hyman for the first 2yrs of his career.

I dunno, but I think it's pretty clear that babs is more extreme than most in sticking with his matchups.

Matthews literally didn't play one game without Hyman for the first 2yrs of his career.

Matthews and Marner still haven't played on the same line after 3 years in the league, which is pretty bizarre when you think about it. Is there any other team in the league whose best forwards have literally never played on the same line together? for 3 years?

And it's amazing to realize that if Nylander hadn't held out, kappy would STILL likely be stuck on the 4th line. Just like Dermott is permanently stuck on the bottom pair no matter what happens, and likely won't get any type of promotion until Babcock is forced to.

Matthews and Marner still haven't played on the same line after 3 years in the league, which is pretty bizarre when you think about it. Is there any other team in the league whose best forwards have literally never played on the same line together? for 3 years?

And it's amazing to realize that if Nylander hadn't held out, kappy would STILL likely be stuck on the 4th line. Just like Dermott is permanently stuck on the bottom pair no matter what happens, and likely won't get any type of promotion until Babcock is forced to.
Matthews and Marner played together without Hyman 2 years ago for 1/2 a game. they scored 4 goals against Montreal. Next game Babs split them up again, put Hyman back with Matthews and got shut out by the worst team in the league, the Coyotes. They have not played together since the Montreal game. Go figure. Even Grapes was shaking his head over that on CBC lol.

Last edited:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Some sports fans, like myself, have played multiple sports, and in my case, I'm an educated hockey coach, qualified to coach at the major junior hockey level.

I don't think I'm alone on these boards in having vast experience coaching hockey. So, not all of us are sports stupid fans.

Educated folks don't need to announce the fact...........because that they are educated.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babcock's had immeasurably more success in the NHL than either of those two.

But yes, tell me more how you know better than him...

All three men have the same number of cups....

And regardless of the issue, merely appealing to authority is a lazy argument otherwise people couldn’t be critical of anything in pro sports.

Reactions: ToMaLe

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
All three men have the same number of cups....

And regardless of the issue, merely appealing to authority is a lazy argument otherwise people couldn’t be critical of anything in pro sports.

ever notice it's the most critical posters who turn around and embrace the appeal to authority fastest any time someone questions their guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->