How Come Babcock Is So Unwilling To Make Adjustments?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I believe a lot of the "problems" people have with Babcock is his crazy rigidity and hypocrisy (at times).

Zenger and Folkman's 10 Fatal Leadership Flaws

6) Don't walk the talk
This is one of the classic mistakes of leadership - not leading by example. When a leader sets out specific guidelines or expectations and then fails to live up to them, it will not look good to the rest of the team. Instead, the leader should be the first one in line to obey all of the conditions that have been put in place to dictate the actions of everyone on the team. Only when they are willing to play by their own rules will they be seen as having integrity.

7) Resist new ideas
Good ideas can come from anywhere, but some leaders are too stubborn or scared to take them if they don't come from inside their own head. Resisting good ideas that come from others is a typical mistake of a bad leader. It shouldn't matter where an idea came from as long as it is genuinely in the best interest of the team - and the organization as a whole.

So before I get into my issue, I'll commend Babcock because last year he was totally guilty of 6 where he buried Marner while NOT burying Hyman and Brown who were way worse, for someone who talked about accountability, where was it for plugs? This year though, I have not seen him do that to our stars and they have struggled at times, so I will commend him for walking the walk far more in regards to true accountability.

Anyways, I believe we have and have been having these problems for a long time:

Stagnant lines that are not really dominating outside of Marner and Tavares who have been clutch all season
Stagnant 1st PP with our 2nd PP being awful (if someone has the stats, please post them, I'd love to see how bad our 2nd pp is)

Adjustments that can be made:

Someone else posted these..

Kapanen. Matthews .Nylander
Kadri. Tavares .Marner
Johnsson. Marleau. Brown
Moore. Lindholm . Hyman

////

Kadri - - Matthews - - Kapanen
Marleau - - Tavares - - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Hyman

On the PP, here are my thoughts, do the regular setup for the first minute and if they are effectively dealing with it, put Matthews on the opposite wing, I recall them trying this and although they didn't score, I remember some good chances coming from it.

Furthermore on the PP, Naz has been pretty useless, why not give Willie a shot there and I say this as someone who has been probably the hardest on him here, but WHY NOT try him out????

Finally, what is this obsession with giving the clearly worse 2nd PP unit EQUAL time, why??? Do other top teams do that? Hell no, so why do we????

What bothers me about Babcock is his rigidity, I am NOT saying these ideas=instant ez better results, but why NOT try them??? I mean things aren't going great now, so why not make SIMPLE and STRAIGHT FORWARD adjustments;

Stacking lines taking advantage of our depth
Actually adjusting to teams adjusting to our excellent PP, forcing them to READJUST at which point we can just go back to the original plan
Making small alterations on the PP lines
Letting our best players have THE most opportunity

And before people start whining about apparent whining, this is just mean to discuss, we hold players accountable for mistakes, coaches that go on and on about accountability can also be held accountable for theirs.

Reactions: Erdinger and ToMaLe

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
All I know is that Niklas Lidstrom's wife is the hottest hockey wife i ever laid eyes on. Babcock might have done somerthing right .

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
First, I think we need to differentiate between his philosophy and his tactical implementations of it. He's not going to change his philosophy, and I don't think he needs to. Therefor, we'll see skilled pairs with a complementary player on each line. I think that's better than the alternative above. I'd rather have three lines that has players that can push offense than two, and I'd rather have someone like Kadri get lots of puck touches on a third line than get what's left on a second line.

What I have some problem with is his implementations of that. It's not so much that he doesn't listen to or try out new ideas. He'll try things, but he does it expecting them to fail. So when he puts Kapanen and Nylander with Matthews and they start a game off with a couple of strong shifts and a goal, he is skeptical. And when they follow up with a couple of shifts where Gardiner screws up and the puck ends up in the net, he sees that as proof that the line lacks the kind of player he wants on it. However, he'll keep throwing Kadri and Nylander out there together, even though they are about our most incompatible duo. Kadri wants his linemates to create chaos that he can use his individual skill to take advantage of, while Nylander wants his linemates to control the game and patiently break down structure.

The way that the PP is used is under all criticism. You either stack one unit and give it most of the time, or you throw two rather equal units out there. It's also among the most static PP setups in the league, with so little creativity and movement. The second unit shows what that would look like without the plethora of talent that the first unit has.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs win games on talent, which is constantly getting exposed to teams that put in an effort.

This whole, "while NOT burying Hyman and Brown" is actually the exact opposite of what Babcock
is trying to re-enforce. Play hard, go the extra mile, and if you do, I'll send you to the fourth line.

Line demotions are for players like Nylander that play like they have eggs in their back pocket,
don't cover their man, don't dig for the puck hard enough, etc.

Reactions: rimshot and Dough72

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I love the timing OP. He just changed up the PP and the lines.

Can't wait for your next post "why doesn't Babcock load up the first PP unit?"
This exactly....he literally just changed the lines.

And even if he didn't change the lines....this team has been very successful so far, and the current lines are working well, except for the pp.

Op maybe has it out for Babcock?

Reactions: DarkKnight

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

And even if he didn't change the lines....this team has been very successful so far, and the current lines are working well, except for the pp.

He's not the only one. Imagine we actually had a bad coach and didn't put up 105pts last year, and continue to get better

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

He's not the only one. Imagine we actually had a bad coach and didn't put up 105pts last year, and continue to get better

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
First, I think we need to differentiate between his philosophy and his tactical implementations of it. He's not going to change his philosophy, and I don't think he needs to. Therefor, we'll see skilled pairs with a complementary player on each line. I think that's better than the alternative above. I'd rather have three lines that has players that can push offense than two, and I'd rather have someone like Kadri get lots of puck touches on a third line than get what's left on a second line.

What I have some problem with is his implementations of that. It's not so much that he doesn't listen to or try out new ideas. He'll try things, but he does it expecting them to fail. So when he puts Kapanen and Nylander with Matthews and they start a game off with a couple of strong shifts and a goal, he is skeptical. And when they follow up with a couple of shifts where Gardiner screws up and the puck ends up in the net, he sees that as proof that the line lacks the kind of player he wants on it. However, he'll keep throwing Kadri and Nylander out there together, even though they are about our most incompatible duo. Kadri wants his linemates to create chaos that he can use his individual skill to take advantage of, while Nylander wants his linemates to control the game and patiently break down structure.

The way that the PP is used is under all criticism. You either stack one unit and give it most of the time, or you throw two rather equal units out there. It's also among the most static PP setups in the league, with so little creativity and movement. The second unit shows what that would look like without the plethora of talent that the first unit has.

I was liking what you were saying until the bolded. I don't agree with that at all, and its a rather 'cynical' viewpoint IMO.

I think Babcock is a simple person. He expects his players to compete. He could set-up a Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander line... they can play well together... but as soon as they're not competing, I feel like he'll switch things up to send a message.

'You want to play with the best players... well, then work for it!".

Nylander hasn't played well with Kadri (YET), however I think its Babcock's way of sending a message to Nylander. Kadri works hard. Marleau works hard... by placing Nylander on the 3rd line, he expects Nylander to start playing the same way as Kadri...

As soon as Nylander starts showing more hustle and drive to his game, he SHOULD start to be more effective no matter who he plays with.

Reactions: 1specter

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can we get a similar thread for Dubas? Why can't he get us a dman? Why can't get get us some size and grit? Why can't he sign AM and MM now? These guys are paid to do a job. When they start listening to fans, they will be fans.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's only willing to make changes that will make the team more defensive and balanced. I don't think that's what they need

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad