Speculation: How Close Was Voynov to be the first Russian to win Conn Smythe?

Ron*

Okay, I am not one for speculation and I am bored senseless, but after two rounds Quick was touted again to possibly winning back-to-back Conn Smythe trophies.

Obviously it didn't happen because the Kings finally petered out under the heavy schedule and injuries.

That's too bad because Slava Voynov was having an incredible run in the playoffs. Six goals by a defenseman. 11 more assists.

Speculating ahead...what more damage could have Voynov done? Does anyone here realistically think he could have had a shot at the Conn Smythe? How do you ignore the playoff performance by this guy.

I love Slava. Too bad the Kings couldn't have advanced. I would have liked to see him go for it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Slava has just as many goals as Patrick Kane (6) and is tied for 10th in playoff scoring with 13 points (along with Bergeron, Bickell, Marchand and our very own Jeff Carter). Not sure if he would've won the Conn Smythe had the Kings advanced to the Finals, but he definitely would be one of the top names in contention for it.

Perhaps the steal of the 2008 draft? Can't wait to see him locked up long term.

Ron*

Not even a snowflake's chance in hell.

Seeing as how a Russian has already won the Conn Smythe before.

God ****ing damn it...skipped right over Malkin's name!

Jesus.

Well, the gist of the thread is still the same. That is, Slava being a real dark horse to win it.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It would have been pretty hard regardless of his production. Quick would have been the favorite unless Slava went PPG the rest of the way and had like some dramatic OT game winner or something.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Doughty had a better playoff last year and Quick had a "lesser" performance, and Quick still won. VV woulda had no chance. Unless he got a bunch more GWG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad