How Close Was Montreal to drafting Lafleur and Dionne in '71?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Reading through Ken Dryden's new book about Scotty Bowman, 'Scotty', and I came across an interesting passage where Bowman talks about how close Pollock and himself were to getting the #2 selection from Detroit. It's important to note here that Bowman was announced as Montreal's new head coach on June 9th, just one day before the '71 draft. The extended quotation from Bowman goes as follows:

"... And Sam was really pressing everybody, pressing on the difference between Lafleur and Dionne. Claude (Ruel) had seen Lafleur play a lot. I think [Canadiens owner] Dave Molson had seen him play in Verdun and Lafleur didn't have a terrific game. I don't know if Sam worried about that or not. He told us he was very close to making a trade with Detroit to get their pick. The trade was Phil Myre, a young goalie that had some possibility, and either Terry Harper or J.C. Tremblay, both on the back end of their careers---and also a young player, I could never remember who it was."

"It could be a done deal, Sam said. [Then] he asked the question, and I'll never forget it. He said, 'If I make this deal, and I think I can, could this be like getting Beliveau and Geoffrion for the next 10 years?' And somebody said, I think it was Ronnie [Caron], said 'Not really, because Dionne is not a big guy. He's a small player.' And Sam, when he made a trade, he'd push everybody like hell, but if everybody didn't agree, he wasn't going to do it. And it didn't go through. Came close."

Wow. I'd never heard of this... had read lots of speculation about the Canadiens going with Dionne instead of Lafleur, but never that they were close to getting both. Is this common knowledge? How would a bombshell like this have changed the league? I know for my Kings it would have been game-changing, but beyond that, is there room for the Canadiens to develop two superstar offensive guys like that while still having the success they did in the early 70s? Does having Dionne extend the window for the Habs going into the 1980s? Lots to unpack here, what do you guys think?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, as if the Habs didn't have enough good players already in the 70s...

I always get the impression that Pollock was a really smart guy, and that he didn't suffer from a lot of the dictatorial faults of a lot of execs from his era. Scotty basically says here that Pollock only made trades by committee, which seems very intelligent to me. (Not that there was anything wrong with getting Dionne.)

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Something very interesting to think about. Also Dionne wins multiple Cups with Montreal more than likely, what does that mean for his legacy seeing that his lack of a Cup win is what prevents him from being higher on the all time top players list?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If the Habs have Dionne and Lafleur in 1971 then prior to that they still have: Both Mahovlichs (although Frank left in 1974 anyway), Lemaire, Dryden, Vachon, Lapointe, Savard. All of these guys are Habs although Vachon gets traded anyway in 1971-'72. Makes me think, do they then draft the other important pieces such as Robinson, Shutt and Gainey? Robinson was 20th overall in 1971, so there is no saying that they still couldn't get him. Shutt is drafted 4th overall in 1972. I don't know what sort of trade was done in order for them to get such a high draft pick but do they do the same thing if they have Lafleur and Dionne? Lastly, Bob Gainey was 8th overall in 1973. Do they do this again? Or are they in the position to do it?

Either way, this team still wins Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad