How can teams prevent situations like Marner & Laine?

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
If you are Toronto you should have signed Matthews and Marner at the same time so it wouldn't become such a sticking point that Matthews made more money. And don't set precedent of the 5 year RFA deal like they did with Matthews

Reactions: haveandare

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The only way to stop this situation is to have a clause that says the bridge contract can't be longer than 3 years with no QO. Clearly - and I mean crystal clearly - these players want to be UFAs as EARLY AS POSSIBLE. And we can all appreciate that, it's there for the taking, why not ask for it, but it needs to be curbed so teams retain their rights after the bridge. Then let the offer sheets roll in, but at least the team gets some compensation.

But then...the NHLPA would have a good laugh over that.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think these two are exacerbated a bit just due to the unique situations. Laine already proved he can be an elite scorer in the league but had a down-year that was pretty catastrophic so it makes sense that the two sides would be far apart. With Toronto, they already handed out two massive contracts in the last year and probably feel that C > W, whereas Marner feels like he should be paid around the same due to production.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
OP, this is the answer to your question. There are several stupid answers in this thread.

The days of overpaying old washed up UFA's going for their retirement contract are gone(as a Flames fan, I can relate to this because our current GM has done this), now you have to pay for your top RFA's because that where the money, the young players are better than ever, so you have to pay them, they are the one that are going to help you win, not Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, etc.

Which is all fine, but then you have to completely re-structure how contracts are handled in the NHL.

the idea always was "you work for cheap when you are young, but don't worry, we will pay you when you are a vet", and everyone went along with it, and contract/CBA was set up to meet those expectations. However, if those expectations are changing, to "pay now, not later" then a re-write of the whole system is in order.

Jun 27, 2005
Have a lower max contract value in the next CBA. Something around 12% the cap and then all the top players would just get that automatically just like entry level bonuses.

Have salaries be based on a percentage of the cap. The young guys want short deals because the cap is expected to go up with the new CBA and U.S . TV deal. Make salaries based on a percentage of the cap and the players get salary certainty when the cap rises (or lowers).

Raise the minimum salary so that there just isn't enough left for the stars.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
the idea always was "you work for cheap when you are young, but don't worry, we will pay you when you are a vet", and everyone went along with it, and contract/CBA was set up to meet those expectations. However, if those expectations are changing, to "pay now, not later" then a re-write of the whole system is in order.

Other then maybe Arbitration rights after 3 years I don't see what needs to be changed

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Don't overpay Matthews and then refuse to pay the same to a better player.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Don't overpay Matthews and then refuse to pay the same to a better player.

Exactly. Marner is the heart beat of the team and you aren't going to convince me otherwise. He has put up points no matter who he's played with. When the team has struggled or Matthews has been out, he's the one who has put the team on his back offensively. And I think that gets lost on a lot of people.

Anyways, GM's just need to be smarter. Top players are going to get paid, it's just not overpaying the players lower in the line up.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Which is all fine, but then you have to completely re-structure how contracts are handled in the NHL.

So are you trying to protect the GMs from themselves or something? Nobody is forcing them to give out these contracts

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I understand that they want more money in their contracts, but team success should be more important IMO.
What a ridiculous thing to say. Most adults would consider getting paid far superior to team success. For 95% of NHL'ers they only get 1 crack at a longer term contract.

To answer the OP's question, removing the salary cap would help. But it would ruin the league so it will not, and should not, happen.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
i think a lot of these young players aren't willing to commit to anything long term until they figure out what the next CBA looks like. It's not the sole factor, but it is a factor.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
So are you trying to protect the GMs from themselves or something? Nobody is forcing them to give out these contracts

Unfortunately and I don't agree with this, a lot of CBAs are written to protect GMs and owners from themselves. All max term contract limits are the primary example of this.

I mean, the NBA has a rule that doesn't allow teams to trade 1st round picks in consecutive years for this particular reason.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
For the new CBA they should consider making cap restrictions on RFAs and players coming off ELCs. Ie. Players from 18-22 can only sign a max contract of 5.5aav 22-26 max of 10aav and then in ufa have no restriction at all. Players wanting to sign past 22-26 years old have to follow guidelines and sign an "extension" with a seperate cap hit that can't be back/front loaded with current contract signed remove NMC's and NTC's too and swap with an opt-out clause in the last year of contract to either hit UFA or RFA.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Tell the kid he is grown up now and its not his agent or his parents who decide whats contract he signs. Than put that per pressure on him by saying this team wants to win, for that to happened you will have to sign for at least 6 years and for a sum of money that is a bit lower than what we think you are worth. Everyone on the team has done it, and if you dont we will trade or sit you. Okay.

Then laugh all the way to the bank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->