How can teams prevent situations like Marner & Laine?

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
These aren't regular decisions about work like you or I make, deciding between 35 and 70 hours a week or a 5 or 75 minute commute. These players will have awesome lives no matter wherever they play, so they might as well suck out every dime they can during their short careers.
I do understand what you're saying, but I'm just saying its not completely true. How many players have we seen demand trades because they don't like where their playing. Or free agents choose to take less money to go play back home or in a nicer city? It happens all the time. There are plenty of reasons why you would choose less money.

A big one, is I think the Stanley Cup. Marner is still so young and he's got his whole career ahead of him, so he definitely hasn't even thought about retiring with no cup, but I bet if he does get there one day he will be extremely disappointed he didn't do more. He was very fortunate and came into an amazing situation with the leafs, and I hope he doesn't throw that away.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So you first say you're all about the players getting as much money as they can but then go and blame a GM for giving players money.

Which one is it? Are you for players getting paid or not.

Why can't it be both?

Players should definitely be getting their max value but at the same time I don't think they should get overpaid. They sure as hell should not be taking a paycut (for the sake of a cup) was my entire point.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Monetary value does not equal worthless. I'm sure everyone has objects that hold sentimental value to them. Objects that you would not sell for their equivalent monetary value.

Fair enough, I wouldn't.

I meant getting traded to another team who is willing to give him his desired contract. As you said, he only cares about the money right? Shouldn't be a problem where he goes if he's getting paid.

I never said he only cares about money, who knows what he's thinking. All I know is he's in a position to get paid what he's worth and where he wants.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Dubas let this happen with the Nylander debacle and he’s set the precedent. He’s done a good job on most everything else but the Nylander and Matthews deals were not good value signings considering both were coming off entry level deals.

Nylander was a bitch and was rewarded for it. Marner will not get the best offer until 1 hour before the deadline unfortunately. If I were willing to go through this, I’d sit tight too.

If Dubas let Nylander sit for a year we wouldn’t be in this spot imo. Would never of happened with Lou.

To answer the question the only way to stop it is to let a player sit. Make an honest and fair offer then sit back and wait for them to accept or sit.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I dunno, I'm all about getting one's value in a salary, and maybe I'd be different if the skates were on my feet...but when you're making millions per year, does an extra $1M really matter? Especially after taxes?

I would look at other things, like that I'm playing for a prime organization, what marketing opportunities I would get, that I'm with friends and family, in my hometown, adored by fans, etc.

If Marner is holding out for say $1M extra a year, that's pathetic IMO, and they can trade his greedy ass to Ottawa.

That's why I don't care about physicality, concussions, injuries, etc. You wanna make the big bucks, pucker up and be ready to take the risks.

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
Let them walk. If they wanted to play hockey and be on a winning team then it wouldn't be about them. Marner unfortunately would be getting paid if the leafs didn't overpay multiple players.
Laine is thinking he's worth more then he actually is.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
the question should be how do we prevent teams from the contracts like Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, etc.
Get GMs to ..... nah, it makes too much sense.

How do teams prevent it? Talk early, try to strike a deal. If the player in question is asking for the sun, moon and stars, ... well, shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first. I wanted a whole slew of things when I was younger; I didn't get them, I settled for other stuff. Pro hockey players either need to learn the same lesson, or get comfy watching everyone else play for the next year.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Seeing all these posters whine and cry about dubas I hope he over pays Marner and everyone else follows suit and get over payed as well.
Screw rest of the teams as well!
Lol

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Dubas let this happen with the Nylander debacle and he’s set the precedent. He’s done a good job on most everything else but the Nylander and Matthews deals were not good value signings considering both were coming off entry level deals.

Nylander was a ***** and was rewarded for it. Marner will not get the best offer until 1 hour before the deadline unfortunately. If I were willing to go through this, I’d sit tight too.

If Dubas let Nylander sit for a year we wouldn’t be in this spot imo. Would never of happened with Lou.

To answer the question the only way to stop it is to let a player sit. Make an honest and fair offer then sit back and wait for them to accept or sit.
Yep, Dubas should have made an example out of Nylander.

If a guy doesn't want to accept your offer, let him sit. And then next year offer him a bit less because he didn't play in the NHL the previous season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Get rid of elcs amd let teams lock in players at the draft for real money or gove rfas arbitration immediately post elc.

It's that simple.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Get rid of elcs amd let teams lock in players at the draft for real money or gove rfas arbitration immediately post elc.

It's that simple.
What are players willing to give up to the owners to get this done?

Gotta give something to get something.

How about in exchange UFA contracts are no longer guaranteed?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
You never know whats going on behind the scenes so it’s tough to say. GMs have most of the leverage over RFAs so they can wait them out to sign a fair deal. If you sit out you likely lose out on millions so is it worth it? If players are willing to sign a 7/8 year deal a slight over pay is fine. If they want to go strait to UFA respect that wish, but they gotta take a bit of a discount.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Was the Toronto situation avoidable if they had dealt with Matthews differently?

I'll have to let a Leaf fan chime in as I'm not as well-versed in how that went down.

At the time it seemed expensive and it would cause problems down the road but IIRC it wasn't necessarily considered far above market value.
Maybe i it were possible to deal with that situation differently but I'm not sure it is, Matthews is the face of the franchise when you are dealing with that level of player you don't nickel and dime him you need to get that done

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lower the max contract price tag next CBA.

If the money is the same for the collective players, and it's voted on by the whole union, it would be more universally liked because these non-superstar players being priced out of the league would get a bigger piece of the pie.

Reactions: CountKong

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Was the Toronto situation avoidable if they had dealt with Matthews differently?

I'll have to let a Leaf fan chime in as I'm not as well-versed in how that went down.

At the time it seemed expensive and it would cause problems down the road but IIRC it wasn't necessarily considered far above market value.

Honestly I think it was Nylander that set up the Marner situation for Toronto.
Rather than signing him in the season, especially while things were going good, should have traded him off to show all your other RFAs that you were willing to play hardball.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Lower the max contract price tag next CBA.

If the money is the same for the collective players, and it's voted on by the whole union, it would be more universally liked because these non-superstar players being priced out of the league would get a bigger piece of the pie.

I would do the reverse, and lower the UFA/RFA years. Raise the max contract, limit it to 5 years, allow players to walk earlier.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Can't spell dumbass without Dubas, he really made his own bed here...and ****ed every other GM along the way. It seems like he learned from his mistake based on the way he's handling Marner but time will tell. Hopefully contracts like Werenski's will help return to the norm.

Good one. Lol.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They can't prevent it, until they re-negotiate the CBA, but for now, they can't. Players and agents know there's a new CBA on the horizon. They know there's a new TV deal coming and more expansion coming. Why would they want to sign for 7-8 years and not be a UFA until past their prime, particularly if there is potentially a bigger pot of money down the road.

Signing for 5 years like Larkin, Matthews and Aho did (as well as Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, Toews after their ELCs), makes too much sense for the player and already gives the team 8 years of control over a player.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad