Prospect Info: How can any prospect break into our top 6 now?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think long term both Bozak and Clarkson could be supplanted to lower lines if someone comes along who can bump them.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
There is a 3rd line left wing open. ???? - Clarkson - Kulimen

Want Cooke but I don't know if we have any space with our RFA situation + extensions we need to give out next off-season to Kessel, Phaneuf, McClement, etc.

Slot in D'Amigo for now. Clarkson will be playing top 6.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
With Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Clarkson locked in long term, and likely Kessel and Kadri to follow, how can any prospect break into our top 6 in the next 5 years?

We have so much money invested here, that it leaves me wondering what's gonna happen with guys like Colborne, Gauthier, Biggs, Leivo, Ashton, etc. trying to break in to the top 6 in the coming years?

If they play very well, they'll get top-6 minutes easily. I'm not sure any of those guys you mention have top-6 potential, however.

GameOverLeafsWin

Jul 10, 2009
Want Cooke but I don't know if we have any space with our RFA situation + extensions we need to give out next off-season to Kessel, Phaneuf, McClement, etc.

Slot in D'Amigo for now. Clarkson will be playing top 6.

Ya my bad i meant Bolland when I wrote Clarkson.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If a prospect can come in and play, their ELC will allow them to be fit in. I think the two signings today sort of confirm they don't have anyone coming up any time soon. Also, players that aren't signed for over market value, like Lupul and JVR, are easily dealable should a young player emerge in the next couple of years who is ready. Bozak is overpaid for a 3rd liner, but could certainly be forced there by a more skilled player, and $4.2 + and ELC is not big money to fill two center spots, especially with an increasing cap.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
With Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Clarkson locked in long term, and likely Kessel and Kadri to follow, how can any prospect break into our top 6 in the next 5 years?

We have so much money invested here, that it leaves me wondering what's gonna happen with guys like Colborne, Gauthier, Biggs, Leivo, Ashton, etc. trying to break in to the top 6 in the coming years?

Well my friend, we don't have high end, skilled prospects to break into our top 6 to begin with. 90-95% of our forward prospects are 3rd and 4th liners.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I would believe Bozak moves to third line in the event a center proves to be a skilled top 6 center. As for the wings, Clarkson can also shift to third without a problem. There is two spots right there. If we can even manage to get two prospects let alone one who can go top 6 that will be major success.

Unnecessary worrying. We are fine :)

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We don't have a forward that's expected to jump into the top 6. Any forwards we have can play 3rd line minutes and then we'll see.

GameOverLeafsWin

Jul 10, 2009
Which is a great starting point for a Marlie promotion and jumping off point..

Kadri began the season in a 3rd line role last year.

Ashton, D'amigo and Colborne are all seasoned enough for this spot time to see which one is NHL worthy. I think we will dump 1 of the 3 in a trade for a Defensemen eventually.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011

They better develop into better top 6 players...simple!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If they outperform the vets they take the spots and you deal with the vets. Simple as that.

Considering only one of our top 6 is 30+, I dont really see the issue. Our core is young.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
They break in by playing well, rosters are fluid, pieces can be moved in and out via trades.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Maybe you should take a look at the age of our top 6, ZERO above 30 !! this will buy us time to develop some top 6 prospects

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Um forget the top 6...... what offensive gems do the marlies have left? literally nothing. I could only kind of see colborne playing 3 wing but even that is a stretch.....

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Um forget the top 6...... what offensive gems do the marlies have left? literally nothing. I could only kind of see colborne playing 3 wing but even that is a stretch.....

Depends on your requirement to be a gem. Has to be a 1st round pick? Guys like Leivo, McKegg and Ross have the ability to be above average role players/depth scorers.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
As others have mentioned we lack top end talent. Furthermore Carlysle/Nonis have proven to cut ties drastically if they want to.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Depends on your requirement to be a gem. Has to be a 1st round pick? Guys like Leivo, McKegg and Ross have the ability to be above average role players/depth scorers.

All I want is some1 who has a chance to be a top 6 prospect. Ross isnt that, leivo isnt that, mckegg has a chance at being top 6 but they all need a lot more time.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Holzer on D and one of Colb , Asht,Migo

Guts tell me they run with McLem 3rd wind and Colb 4th C.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Yea RC said he's most likely looking to the Marlies for someone to grab that spot. My guess is either Hamilton or D'amigo.
You can probably bring up both. I doubt Mclaren and Orr start together this season. We need a consistent team that can be taken into the playoffs if the Leafs make it. We immediately took out Mclaren once we lost game 1. I can see Hamilton for sure up on the squad barring any moves and maybe D'Amigo if he deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad