2. Jagr
3. Lindros
4. Yzerman
5. Messier
6. Hull
7. Sakic
8. Selanne
9. Bourque
10. Gretzky-Hey, he was still great for the first half of the decade.
Where are the goalies?

Zetterberg4Captain*

1. Lemieux
2. Jagr
3. Hull
4. Yzerman
5. Fedorov
6. Roy
7. Brodeur
8. Selanne
9. Lindros
10. Kariya

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
1. Lemieux 2. Jagr 3. Roy 4. Hull 5. Sakic 6. Bourque 7. Messier 8. Bure 9. Broduer 10. MacInnis (so under-rated)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Dominik Hasek (5 times best goalie, 2 times league MVP)
Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Mark Messier
Raymond Bourque
Patrik Roy
Steve Yzerman
Wayne Gretzky
Chris Chelios
Brett Hull

Verbal Kint*

1. Lemieux
2. Hasek
3. Jagr
4. Lindros
5. Roy
6. Hull
7. Bourque
8. Federov
9. Bure
10. Yzerman

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
1. Lemieux
2. Jagr
3. Hasek
4. Roy
5. Gretzky
6. Hull
7. Selanne
8. Bourque
9. Yzerman
10. Bure

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jacques Plante said:
I look and on everyones list Jagr is near the top. He was just so dominant back then, and he still could be if he wanted to. What a waste.
To true. I think that the Pens overly coddled him for so long that he became bratty. I just can't understand how he can go from one of the best players ever to just a good player in such a short amout of time. I'm also slapping myself for forgeting about Hasek and Lidstrom. Some other that should at least get a mention are Larry Murphy, Cam Neely, Adam Oates, Brian Leech, Peter Bondra, Scott Stevens, Ed Belfour, Ron Francis, Doug Gilmour, and Pat Lafontaine.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Jacques Plante said:
I look and on everyones list Jagr is near the top. He was just so dominant back then, and he still could be if he wanted to. What a waste.
i don't think he can be as dominant anymore even if he wanted to. he's almost 33, and he's lost that special something that made him extra elite. it's hard to explain what it is, but from watching him play you can tell he's not the same guy on the ice, regardless of what he does off the ice.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
1. Lemieux
2. Jagr
3. Hasek
4. Bourque
5. Hull
6. Gretzky
7. Roy
8. Lindros
9. Sakic
10. Chelios

HM: Brodeur, Leetch, Neely, Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Bure, Selanne, Messier, Kariya, Shanahan, Mogilny, Coffey

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Man this is an unfair topic, but I guess a lot of good players are going to be left out.

1. Mario Lemiuex - Dominanted when in the lineup. He was unreal.
2. Jaromir Jagr - A bunch of Art Ross trophies, a couple of cups
3. Wayne Gretzky - Early 90s was amazing, mid 90s great, late 90 still a good player
4. Patrick Roy - Two cups, Vezinas. There was nothing he hasn't done
5. Eric Lindros - Despite injury problems, he was a dominant force
6. Pavel Bure - Simply electrifying even with all his knee problems
7. Dominik Hasek - Saying that he was unstoppable at times was an understatement
8. Joe Sakic - Truly came into his own with his Cup win
9. Steve Yzerman - Just like Sakic, the Stanley Cups put him into the elite category
10. Brett Hull - Easily the best shooter of the 90s

This is in not much of an order, just a general one. Guys like Bourque, Broduer (really coming into his own in since the turn or the century), and some many others could easily be on this list.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
1- Jaromir Jagr
2- Mario Lemieux
3- Patrick Roy
4- Wayne Gretzky
5- Ray Bourque
6- Joe Sakic
7- Dominik Hasek
8- Mark Messier
9- Steve Yzerman
10- Eric Lindros

Hard to leave Brodeur, Bure, Belfour et al off, but... stiff competition. I'm glad to see Al Mac make some of these lists. He might be my number 11.

And how in the world is Gretzky not making some of these lists? From 90-91 to 98-99, he was THE highest scorer, period, above Jagr, who only passes him because he played one more season, played more games, and on FARRRR better teams. Give him linemates two thirds as good as Jagrs and Wayne is number 1, no problem (Yachmenev? Sundstrom? MacLean? Granato?). And only Mario and Patrick had a playoff up there with Wayne's '93 performance (Sakic's was close, but he had tons of help, whereas LA only made it because Wayne supplied twice as much offense as any other King). '97 was also stellar, too, quietly better than anyone else, sans Mario, Sakic and Roy, considering the circumstances. It's not like he was Mark Messier or Ron Francis or Adam Oates... he was still an offensive superstar. (everything that could go wrong in '99, DID go wrong... lighten his painful burden even a tad and give him a decent linemate, and he'd still be nipping at 100 points, until he retired).

Last edited:

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
revolverjgw said:
And how in the world is Gretzky not making some of these lists? From 90-91 to 98-99, he was THE highest scorer, period, above Jagr, who only passes him because he played one more season, played more games, and on FARRRR better teams. Give him linemates two thirds as good as Jagrs and Wayne is number 1, no problem (Yachmenev? Sundstrom? MacLean? Granato?). And only Mario and Patrick had a playoff up there with Wayne's '93 performance (Sakic's was close, but he had tons of help, whereas LA only made it because Wayne supplied twice as much offense as any other King). '97 was also stellar, too, quietly better than anyone else, sans Mario, Sakic and Roy, considering the circumstances. It's not like he was Mark Messier or Ron Francis or Adam Oates... he was still an offensive superstar. (everything that could go wrong in '99, DID go wrong... lighten his painful burden even a tad and give him a decent linemate, and he'd still be nipping at 100 points, until he retired).

Excellent point. He simply was the great one. During his entire career he lead his team in scoring every year except for 93 when he had the back. But in 93 he put together that rediculous playoff. He averaged over a point a game in every year of the 90's except his last (an injury plagued year). Even in the Rangers jersey he made the highlights. I can remember him sinking the Habs in OT with 2 goals from behind the net when the Rangers came in on a saturday night. All stuff I can tell my kids, one day. I'm not saying he should be #1 but he definately is top 10.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
We all remember the hype, me included. We forget one of the best players whose star didn't shine so brightly because he wasn't playing in a high-profile hockey market.

Who scored the most goals in the nineties?

Peter Bondra.

Weezel RX7

Jul 3, 2003
Bristol CT
Visit site
Evil Homer said:
Best all around player for my money in the 90's was Peter Forsberg. Don't believe he's been on a single list.

He wasnt as dominant as the players mentioned...nuff said

1. Lemieux
2. Jagr
3. Gretzky
4. Hasek
5. Roy
6. Bourque
7. Yzerman
8. Mogilny
9. Hull
10. Fedorov

Last edited: