News Article: How Bobby Robins survived despair

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I have followed his story for a bit and that of Nick Boynton. Bobby laid out a pretty good series of tweets the other day as well. I am encouraged to see so many men here posting and being authentic; our culture, sadly, doesn't encourage this.

I work with trauma survivors and constantly fight the energy around mental health and suppressed emotions. People want to be seen and acknowledged and assured that they matter. Without that, the void continues.

-------------------------------
"...I picture myself lying there dead on the ice with fractured orbital bones and a caved-in nose and chicklets and enamel scattered all over the ice from teeth that exploded out of my gums from punch after punch to my face from these goons on San Antonio. And they scoop me up and put me on the gurney and carry me out the Zamboni door and dump me into the ditch out behind the arena, still in my full uniform and still holding on to hope that I can actually make this impossible dream come true..." Bobby Robbins

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Also, I remember having beers with Randy McKay and Mike Peluso and I was petrified to talk to them, but they were really nice and neither seemed to love fighting.
I always found it interesting that many NHL tough guys are very cerebral. Guys like John Scott, Dave Manson, and Stu Grimson are great interviews. Even Bissonnette, who I think plays his shtick for click rates, is a brilliant guy.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
seem to read/hear this a lot from those who we recognize as guys who scrapped a lot once they reached the NHL, most really weren`t gung ho on becoming that style of player but it was clear they weren`t really going to stick around unless they did something reasonably well and for many of them dropping the mitts was just that.

There’s a great 30 for 30 “short” on John Wensink and that’s exactly what he said about his career.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I have followed his story for a bit and that of Nick Boynton. Bobby laid out a pretty good series of tweets the other day as well. I am encouraged to see so many men here posting and being authentic; our culture, sadly, doesn't encourage this.

I work with trauma survivors and constantly fight the energy around mental health and suppressed emotions. People want to be seen and acknowledged and assured that they matter. Without that, the void continues.
Very well stated.

Reactions: Kovi

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's especially awful for a guy like Wensink, who had enough skill to pot 28 goals one year.

Yeah, if I remember right he got into a fight and won, very early in his first practice with the Bruins and pretty much got pegged as an enforcer from that point on.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I always found it interesting that many NHL tough guys are very cerebral. Guys like John Scott, Dave Manson, and Stu Grimson are great interviews. Even Bissonnette, who I think plays his shtick for click rates, is a brilliant guy.
I'd say Bissonnette is far from being brilliant and Grimson doesn't strike me as being very bright either. He's also a complete hypocrite. Kevin Westgarth and George Parros are both Ivy League educated but I've read or heard interviews with almost every fighter the league has ever had and most don't strike me as being cerebral.

I'm glad Robins has been well the past 5 years but when you choose to basically bare knuckle box for living you're kind of making you're own bed. Sucks what he went through but lots of us have dealt with that and continue to do so without bringing it on by ourselves.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't think you are wrong here. What has been found in treating depression/anxiety (since the two are so often intimately linked) is that many sufferers don't need medication, or only for a short time, but experience dramatic improvements by paying attention to the basic stuff of life: diet, exercise, sleep.

Good sleep, or simply rest, is paramount. Diet with less junk, exercise, yes.

But if you don't get proper sleep, it effects everything else.

I readily admit that I am not the best about this.

"But, I try."

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Good sleep, or simply rest, is paramount. Diet with less junk, exercise, yes.

But if you don't get proper sleep, it effects everything else.

I readily admit that I am not the best about this.

"But, I try."
Do what you can do, right? No one of us is perfect in these things. Better to try and succeed at lest some times than not to bother at all!

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Man, it's crazy how much of this is coming out now.

I follow Robbins on Twitter. It seems like he's in a pretty good place now.
me too, he and I have exchanged a few DM`s, seems like a great guy, love for him to go on one of the Pod`s focusing on the B`s

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It just takes a few brave souls to break the ice and then other start feeling more comfortable about sharing their stories. Once they realize that its okay to admit to this stuff, that most people are not going to judge them harshly, ostracize them, or take away their ability to make a living, the stories and experiences start coming out. I am sure we will see more.

The same is true of mental illness, #MeToo and the LBGTQ alphabet these days. And you don't even have to retire first to be honest and forthright about these matters.

Vastly, vastly different than it was when "I wore a younger man's clothes." (Billy Joel, "Piano Man.")

Things are bad on several levels at present, but good stuff is happening too.

I'll take it,

1684097671328.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: