How big of a difference do (new) skates make?

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Hey y'all. I've played quite a bit of hockey in my life, but I've had the same skates (CCM Vector 7.0 from 2005 I think) for over 10 years. These skates have seen a lot action in that time, from outdoor rinks to frozen ponds to indoor arenas. I'm finally thinking it might be time for some new ones.

My question is: has anyone noticed noticed a decided improvement in their ability to skate when switching to new or different skates? I feel like my skates are getting less and less responsive to my skating (weight shifting, edgework etc), though my fundamentals are probably also getting rusty as I don't play as regularly as I used to (but I'd still say I'm a very good skater compared to an average beer league player--I played at a decent level when I was younger). I can't tell how much of this is due to my severely battle-worn skates. Does anyone have any experience in finding that skating became easier when switching to new/different skates? Or does anyone have any tips as to what I should look for when buying new skates these days? I honestly haven't followed anything to do with trends in skates since I bought my last ones, so I don't know what to look for at all anymore.

Thanks for your help :D

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Maybe.

New skates aren't going to turn you into Connor McDavid. They're tools, and if they're the proper tools, then they'll help you make the best of the skill you have. I mean, give McDavid old tube skates and time enough to adjust, and he'll still be Connor McDavid. Give a forth line plumber the best equipment in the universe and they'll still be a 4th line plumber.

With that said, there are pros and cons to the newer generation of skates, just like there are pros and cons with the older generation. The pros are they're lighter, they're heat moldable, they're made from materials that wick away sweat instead of absorbing them, etc. But the cons are, the advanced materials can make them unforgiving if you don't find the right fit and there's very little break in. Some find the new skates too stiff and hinder the players ability to get into a good crouch. That's why a lot of players don't lace up the top eyelet.

Any way, if you're looking for new skates, try everything in the store on and try not to settle for good enough, because that can lead to a lot of unnecessary pain.

For the most part, there are really only three companies making skates right now, Bauer, CCM, and TRUE. True only makes custom skates to order, which leaves only Bauer and CCM as something you can try on in the store. Bauer and CCM each basically make three lines of skates. Each line is geared towards a specific fit type, wide feet, narrow feet, average feet, etc, so don't get caught up with the cool names and colors.

Again, be a princess and try everything on, and maybe, even try going up and down in sizes to see how they feel. I've heard there were issues in the past were say a size 6 in a certain skate generation was maybe a 5.5 in the next, so don't let the numbers fool you.

When you start narrowing things down, leave the skates on for a little bit. Sometimes skates can feel tight, but once the liner warms up, it can compress a little and the tightness goes down and maybe even goes away. What won't go away are pressure points. Remember, there's not a lot of break in with the newer skates. Beware anything that's digging into your foot even a little. Just imagine that thing rubbing and digging into your foot a few hundred times during a game. It won't be pleasant. Some pressure points can be punched out. Some can't.

Any way my 2 cents. It's worth what you paid.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Awesome, this is very informative. Thanks! I didn't even know that brands like Nike, Graf, Reebok etc were no longer making skates.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I ll be short. New stiffer skates will work great if you're a good skater - your case.

They just perform better when going fast, more edge hold, it doesn't want to twist your ankle to the outside as much when you are turning at higher speed; they are better at quick turns, you can push a lot harder with stiff skates, combined with proper technique - your case as well.

I'd say go for it, and we have an excellent buyers guide here on the 1st page, written by AIREAYE.

Last edited:
Reactions: AIREAYE and FDBluth

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey y'all. I've played quite a bit of hockey in my life, but I've had the same skates (CCM Vector 7.0 from 2005 I think) for over 10 years. These skates have seen a lot action in that time, from outdoor rinks to frozen ponds to indoor arenas. I'm finally thinking it might be time for some new ones.

My question is: has anyone noticed noticed a decided improvement in their ability to skate when switching to new or different skates? I feel like my skates are getting less and less responsive to my skating (weight shifting, edgework etc), though my fundamentals are probably also getting rusty as I don't play as regularly as I used to (but I'd still say I'm a very good skater compared to an average beer league player--I played at a decent level when I was younger). I can't tell how much of this is due to my severely battle-worn skates. Does anyone have any experience in finding that skating became easier when switching to new/different skates? Or does anyone have any tips as to what I should look for when buying new skates these days? I honestly haven't followed anything to do with trends in skates since I bought my last ones, so I don't know what to look for at all anymore.

Thanks for your help :D

I was in your situation a couple yrs back. I was using my Synergy 1500c skates (2005) for about a dozen years, and was loath to get new ones. I did everything I could to hold on to my old skates... had them fixed up, punched out, etc.

A couple yrs back, I was spending a lot of time on the ice teaching my daughter though and knew it was time for new ones, so I tried on tons of new skates and hated them all until I found the Bauer S190s.

I had to modify the tongue because I hated the stiffness, but other than that, they are perfect. I get off the ice after a couple hours and it feels like I was wearing a pair of relaxing shoes. Absolutely no foot pain or blisters, etc like I always had with all my other skates in the past... and I basically used tons of high end skates from the 90s on up from Bauer, Flites, Grafs, etc

It took me maybe 15-20 mins to get comfortable in my new skates, but I was doing all my edge work the same as ever after that and after a couple uses, it felt like I had been using the new skates forever.

My best advice is to try on as many skates as you can and don’t get discouraged if none of them feel right. Eventually you will try on a pair that feels right.

Not sure what kind of skates you are looking for, but be warned that high end skates are pretty expensive now. $600-900+. It’s a worthwhile investment though when you get the right ones.

Reactions: FDBluth

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Skim over the guide and let us know if you have more questions!

Thanks. I did see that sticky thread right after I posted this and felt kinda silly for posting, but some people have still given really good responses.

When I think about it, I have always had some slight discomfort in my current 2005 CCM Vector skates (notably a bit of pressure on the outside of the foot). I've gotten so used to it that I don't think about it anymore, but it has always been there. I also wear some light orthotics due to pronation. Hopefully I can find something that works better for my feet.

It doesn't make sense to go for the super high-end price range. I don't know if you'd have any recommendations based on that information...?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well from your first post, it seems that even though you play recreationally now, you're still a good skater and could definitely benefit from decent skates.

In that case, I would suggest you target those mid end or upper mid end models. They're stiff enough that you'll be able to notice a performance boost right away (provided you find the right fit and all of that) and should thus be durable enough to last you a few years. I always suggest you find prior year models in those tiers, as they're much better value and skate tech don't significantly change year over year. You'll see me outline what type of model names those could be, in the Guide.

In Bauer, most people find a good fit in either the Vapor or Supreme family. CCM also has 3 families like Bauer, but they've been changing the fit profiles so often over the past several years, that you're gonna have to try each family yourself. Even though you've worn CCMs in the past and currently, you should go into your next pair of skates with a blank slate in terms of fit.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thanks. I did see that sticky thread right after I posted this and felt kinda silly for posting, but some people have still given really good responses.

When I think about it, I have always had some slight discomfort in my current 2005 CCM Vector skates (notably a bit of pressure on the outside of the foot). I've gotten so used to it that I don't think about it anymore, but it has always been there. I also wear some light orthotics due to pronation. Hopefully I can find something that works better for my feet.

It doesn't make sense to go for the super high-end price range. I don't know if you'd have any recommendations based on that information...?

If you are looking at Bauer, the Vapors are for narrow feet, Supremes are for reg, and the Nexus line is for a wide foot.

Start trying on a bunch of skates now and find a pair you really like. Then wait a few weeks until Black Friday and they will have some great deals at HockeyMonkey, Pure Hockey, Hockey Giant etc

As a quick example, last year I got a $250 stick for about $165 using the deals they offer.

Try to find a skate model that is a couple years old, because the manufacturers don’t usually allow them to run legit discount sales on newer models.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you are looking at Bauer, the Vapors are for narrow feet, Supremes are for reg, and the Nexus line is for a wide foot.

Start trying on a bunch of skates now and find a pair you really like. Then wait a few weeks until Black Friday and they will have some great deals at HockeyMonkey, Pure Hockey, Hockey Giant etc

As a quick example, last year I got a $250 stick for about $165 using the deals they offer.

Try to find a skate model that is a couple years old, because the manufacturers don’t usually allow them to run legit discount sales on newer models.

No, this oversimplifies it and not entirely accurate.

Reactions: LeifUK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No, this oversimplifies it and not entirely accurate.

Nah, that’s pretty much an accurate representation of each line and exactly what I was told by a Bauer rep over the phone. It’s also exactly what I experienced trying on a number of skates from each line.

Each family of Bauer hockey skates has a line ranging from recreational to professional skate levels but when you compare Bauer Supreme vs. Vapor vs. Nexus skate families, it’s all about the fit. The Vapor hockey skate best fitting a narrow foot profile, the Bauer Supreme hockey skate fitting a more average foot, and the Nexus hockey skate recommended for larger foot profiles.
VAPOR VS. SUPREME VS. NEXUS SKATES FIT

The Bauer Vapor skate is a low-volume skate, meaning it fits a narrower foot. Vapor skates feature a tapered fit with a standard toe box, a slightly narrower forefoot, and narrow fit in the ankle and heel area. And at the other end of the spectrum lies the Nexus skate, featuring a high-volume boot and a larger profile. Bauer Supreme hockey skates have a medium fit, meaning a more standard anatomical fit in both toe and heel, that translates to a more natural feel. We recommend trying on the Bauer Nexus if your foot runs wide, or the Bauer Vapor if your foot is narrow, but either way, try the Bauer Supreme for comparison to see which hockey skate will fit your foot better. Boots in all three Bauer skate families can be baked for a more custom fit.

Bauer Supreme vs. Vapor vs. Nexus Skates | Pure Hockey

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Nah, that’s pretty much an accurate representation of each line and exactly what I was told by a Bauer rep over the phone. It’s also exactly what I experienced trying on a number of skates from each line.
It's fine to have that info be a baseline when comparing the fits, but Bauer marketing has to have some sort of easy/accessible way of differentiating their lines. And that's what reps are, an extension of the firm's marketing.

Let me tell you from years of experience fitting all kinds of skates for all kinds of skaters that it more often than not doesn't follow those fit storylines. People who've always worn one family have all of a sudden found a much better fit in another. Folks with 'wide' feet have found perfect fits in a 'narrow' Vapor line skate in EE width. I've tried my best to add more nuanced fit intricacies to the skate guide.

What are 'regular' feet anyways? 'Narrow' feet?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's fine to have that info be a baseline when comparing the fits, but Bauer marketing has to have some sort of easy/accessible way of differentiating their lines. And that's what reps are, an extension of the firm's marketing.

Let me tell you from years of experience fitting all kinds of skates for all kinds of skaters that it more often than not doesn't follow those fit storylines. People who've always worn one family have all of a sudden found a much better fit in another. Folks with 'wide' feet have found perfect fits in a 'narrow' Vapor line skate in EE width. I've tried my best to add more nuanced fit intricacies to the skate guide.

They obviously have to have a way to differentiate their lines and give people a starting point. Not sure why anyone would suggest otherwise.

I’ve known for years I have what Bauer considers a regular sized foot, and all the Vapors I tried are too narrow, all the Nexus were too wide, and most of the Supremes fit fine, but it was a matter of finding the right toe box in that line. I even tried on a few pairs of the S190 in the exact same size until I found the pair that felt the most comfortable.

I tried a wider width in the Vapor line, but none of them felt right. There was always a pressure point I knew was going to be a problem.

My buddy has a narrow foot and he has worn Vapors forever. His foot swims in a Nexus, and most Supremes he has tried on still feel too loose he’s told me.

Same deal with my daughter. She has a narrow foot, and wears Vapors. Supremes don’t fit her right, and she feels too much looseness.

Ya other people can be wildly different, but you have to have a starting point. If you have a narrow foot and want to jump into a Nexus, it’s more than likely going to be a bad fit.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018

No, Nexus is for a deep foot, Vapor is for a shallow foot, Supreme is midway. It is true that Nexus are wider at the heel, and Vapor are narrower at the heel. Thus in Nexus I get no heel lock, and I fit a Vapor best according to the 3D scan, but I prefer Supreme, which is okay too. My feet are shallow, with a fairly narrow heel and small leg circumference. You can see my scan here which partly explains the difference between models:

Volumental

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No, Nexus is for a deep foot, Vapor is for a shallow foot, Supreme is midway. It is true that Nexus are wider at the heel, and Vapor are narrower at the heel. Thus in Nexus I get no heel lock, and I fit a Vapor best according to the 3D scan, but I prefer Supreme, which is okay too. My feet are shallow, with a fairly narrow heel and small leg circumference. You can see my scan here which partly explains the difference between models:

Volumental

A Nexus isn’t just wide at the heel, it’s wide all the way throughout the boot.

Most people I know with the Fred Flintstone feet like the Nexus. That’s exactly why it’s recommended for wide feet. Most people with wide feet have below a 2.5 width ratio, which puts them in a high volume skate, which naturally needs a deep heel.

Some people with wide feet may feel more comfortable in a Supreme EE because of their instep, but that’s why you try on as many skates as possible and need to understand your foot type, including your instep before you drop down big money on any skates.

Last edited:

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Most people I know with the Fred Flintstone feet like the Nexus. That’s exactly why it’s recommended for wide feet. Most people with wide feet have below a 2.5 width ratio, which puts them in a high volume skate, which naturally needs a deep heel.

Scroll down to the coloured feet graphic

Ice Hockey Skate Sizing

According to the above I am Nexus/Supreme as I have a width ratio of about 2.5. In practice I am Supreme/Vapor. Nexus is a complete mismatch. Interestingly the Bauer 3D scanner gives me as an ideal Vapor, and a borderline Supreme, whereas when I was fitted two years ago, the Supreme felt best and the Vapor was a wee bit shallow. So that width ratio thing fails for me. What does work for me is fitting based on volume for a given length. Of course this is only my case.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Scroll down to the coloured feet graphic

Ice Hockey Skate Sizing

According to the above I am Nexus/Supreme as I have a width ratio of about 2.5. In practice I am Supreme/Vapor. Nexus is a complete mismatch. Interestingly the Bauer 3D scanner gives me as an ideal Vapor, and a borderline Supreme, whereas when I was fitted two years ago, the Supreme felt best and the Vapor was a wee bit shallow. So that width ratio thing fails for me. What does work for me is fitting based on volume for a given length. Of course this is only my case.

Ya it’s an inexact science. I remember getting my first pair of Megas as a teen and they felt perfect, no pressure points anywhere.

After a couple hours skating, I had nasty lace bite, and that’s when I discovered all about insteps. Learned the hard way.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Ya it’s an inexact science. I remember getting my first pair of Megas as a teen and they felt perfect, no pressure points anywhere.

After a couple hours skating, I had nasty lace bite, and that’s when I discovered all about insteps. Learned the hard way.
Ugh, ain't that the truth. Especially if certain manufacturers can't decide one year over the next whether or not they're gonna change the fit profile of their skates completely. Lookin' at you Canadian Cycle & Motor... :help:

beedee

Jan 13, 2014

You just nailed my experience. I was very surprised how well they (Vapor EE, 1/2 size down) fit me. This goes to show (as the others have stated) keep an open mind and try on as many skates as you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad