How Bettman breaks the Union and how Crosby can really gum up the works....a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Ghost of Dale Hunter said:
As for Canada, the reality is that the Canadian clubs have to fall in line, they are associated with the league. The players may form their own Canadian only league, but it wont be with the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, etc(trademark NHL property)..... Right or wrong, the league sold its soul to American money 30 years ago and now they are married for better or worse.
And that sucks.

Typical American with paper bag over their head! I would love to see a Canadian League only. Get rid of the American influence in our game, as people like Bettman have ruined the game in North America. I ask, would you ask a Canadian hockey man to run the NBA. I think not, as Bettman has brought the NHL to it’s lowest level in 50 years. I say we start over, with Canadian cities only. Let the American have their NBA, NFL and MLB. As they believe that they have the big market cornered, as we should let them keep the bag on their heads. We should not be trying to sell a game to the American’s, as they do not deserve hockey. With leagues starting up in Europe and Asia, a new world league could be formed, and yes, leave the Americans out of it, as they would only try to interfere, hockey has become a dead sport in the US, so let it die. It is alive and healthy in Canada, and overseas, so we should focus on that only.

We have the resources (players), just move the teams to a market where the game can be sold, and I will tell you, this NHL-NHLPA dispute is not just about money, it is about what the Americans try to make everone believe, a free market and trade lifestyle (only in America,Ha, Ha), just look at how the Americans treat their free trade agreement with other countries. We don't have to go by US law in Canada, we have our laws here, so don't jam them down our throat. US policy, our way or the highway, what a joke. We should keep our trees and lumber, and let the Americans live in their glass houses, and keep your tomatoes. we can live on beef. Just my Beef, opinion!

Last edited:

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
Mighty Duck said:
Typical American with paper bag over their head! I would love to see a Canadian League only. Get rid of the American influence in our game, as people like Bettman have ruined the game in North America. I ask, would you ask a Canadian hockey man to run the NBA. I think not, as Bettman has brought the NHL to it’s lowest level in 50 years. I say we start over, with Canadian cities only. Let the American have their NBA, NFL and MLB. As they believe that they have the big market cornered, as we should let them keep the bag on their heads. We should not be trying to sell a game to the American’s, as they do not deserve hockey. With leagues starting up in Europe and Asia, a new world league could be formed, and yes, leave the Americans out of it, as they would only try to interfere, hockey has become a dead sport in the US, so let it die. It is alive and healthy in Canada, and overseas, so we should focus on that only.

We have the resources (players), just move the teams to a market where the game can be sold, and I will tell you, this NHL-NHLPA dispute is not just about money, it is about what the Americans try to make everone believe, a free market and trade lifestyle (only in America,Ha, Ha), just look at how the Americans treat their free trade agreement with other countries. We don't have to go by US law in Canada, we have our laws here, so don't jam them down our throat. US policy, our way or the highway, what a joke. We should keep our trees and lumber, and let the Americans live in their glass houses, and keep your tomatoes. we can live on beef. Just my Beef, opinion!

You are a fool. Offensive too. Nice post. Well thought out.

I guess i'll go put the bag back over my head. I wouldn't understand .....living on the US-Canada border, growing up watching CBC and the Sabres with Ted Darling calling the games. Yep, I am just a stupid american trying to ruin your game. The one I love too.

You know what you sound like?

One of those stupid, loud obnoxious americans you are talking about.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
You are a fool. Offensive too. Nice post. Well thought out.

I guess i'll go put the bag back over my head. I wouldn't understand .....living on the US-Canada border, growing up watching CBC and the Sabres with Ted Darling calling the games. Yep, I am just a stupid american trying to ruin your game. The one I love too.

You know what you sound like?

One of those stupid, loud obnoxious americans you are talking about.

Thank you very much, as you understand how stupid this whole thing about the game, at a low, when it grossed over 2 billion dollars last year. Everyone is caught up in Bettman's bag of bull. If you believe his garbage, you are what you are.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
MojoJojo said:
Bush appointees or not, I cant see the NRLB imposing a salary cap, the basis of which violates US anti-trust law, which is what the impasse is all about. The owners could very well get stuck without a cap if this is the route they chose to take. Even if the NRLB does impose a system with a cap, the cap will immediately be challenged in court and would be thrown out. The only hope for the owners to get a cap system in place without the consent of the players (that is, without making any concessions to get one), is if Congress directly passes a law explicitly creating a loophole for the NHL in the Sherman Anti-trust act.

It will not be termed a cap it will b e termed a revenue sharing partnership and that will be accepted as fair. You term it a cap, but that is negative term and as such would never be used.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
First, the impasse is the obvious solution. The way I understand it is that the NHL, after a year, will go to the Federal Labor Relation
Authority and claim impasse saying the players are not bargaining in good faith.

This will be a crucial point as I belive that their books will be thrown open at this point. The owners must be pretty secure in their position to do this. The reason is GW Bush. Through personal experience I can assure you that the current climate is not good for a labor Union made up of millionaire athletes. Hell, it is awful for us and I'm a federal employee. The FLRA is basically a Bush appointed authority and I believe, hell, I know, Bush will jump all over the opportunity to crush the players union.

What will basically occur is a direct implementation of whatever rules the owners want and the league will restart with replacement players and an open invite to all existing players to join back at league terms with a drop dead date. After the drop dead date they will not allow any of those players to play in the New look NHL, costing them another season. The year after that the will open a window to these players again and it will continue on that way.

My guess is a salary scale based on years of service (sort of like National Lacrosse League) plus some escalator provisions (Franchise players) for top players as well as a hard cap. I assume you would also see some medieval disciplinary rules imposed as well as a possible roster reduction. Lastly, you would see a rookie salary cap similar to the NFL with players slotted and draft age moving to 20.

The players can sue all they want, but I estimate their chances of winning to be 1 in 20. You may see a rival Canada only league sprout up, and probably be better, but in the end money will rule the day.

Now, as for Crosby. If he is smart, he will challenge his draft status by saying that he should have been eligible for the upcoming draft and the league is illegally restraining him from work by not conducting one. He would claim eligibility under the old CBA and that he is illegally being denied work under the new one.

Of course the league would love this and probably make a deal with him to make him a centerpiece of the "new look" NHL.

That is my dire prediction. Hopefully, I am dead wrong.

a) teams won't sign anyone until there is a CBA, impasse or mutual. Crosby will have to cool his heels until then and there isn't much he can do about it.

b) Its likely any new CBA will have a clause in it to hold a draft for Crosby's year soon after its signed, thereby redendering his main argument about not being able to play irrelevant.

c) They might try and have a draft anyway, using bits of the old CBA.

d) He'll still be stuck with a rookie slary.

e) If Crosby is a UFA then the nucks can try and get Brule and that's gotta be good. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad