News Article: How Bad Was Shipachyov? A Shift-by-Shift Analysis

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A nice analysis of 35 incidents. :thumbu: Here are 6 of the most telling ones:
7:30 Shipachyov scores, but it's Tuch who does all the heavy lifting. The pivot has a penchant for hanging in the weeds.

7:49 Shipachyov is put in a tough position by the pass, but nursing a late two-goal lead, I suspect Gallant would prefer that the forward focus on getting it in deep, instead of a risky dipsy doodle through the Bruin standing up on the blueline.

0:22 As Tuch battles a herd of Sabres for the puck, Shipachyov once again hangs in the weeds.

2:25 Shipachyov anticipates the rimaround. But then, he throws the puck back to nobody in particular, which pins Vegas down. Leipsic is eventually able to break things up.

5:10 Tuch forces a turnover at center ice, but Shipachyov, who is closest to retrieving the loose puck, peels off for whatever reason. Perhaps he expected Tuch to claim it or missed the play.

9:12 Shipachyov, along with a battalion of Knights, converge on Bailey, who wants the middle of the ice. Ryan O'Reilly, however, stands free off to the side of the net. While Shipachyov and James Neal are able to harass Bailey and prevent an O'Reilly tap-in, perhaps Shipachyov should have stayed with his Buffalo counterpart.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Ship's issue was off the ice. Like I've said a thousand times on this board, twitter, social media, etc. this didn't become a thing until Ship decided he was too good to do what thousands of players have done before him and report to the Wolves. It wasn't permanent, it wasn't to hurt him, it wasn't to pay him less, it was just what need to be done. It wasn't even really unexpected.

He's a star, and now he can go be a star as a lifelong KHL player instead of an NHL star because he didn't want to be a team player.

Adios Shippy, we hardly knew you. I wish you luck.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad