How are you feeling about the Buffalo Sabres right now?

How do you feel about the Buffalo Sabres?

• Optimistic - feel that things are going well and excited for next season youth movement and rebuild

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Ambivalent - don't care and no longer emotionally invested...not interested in following the team

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Angry - upset about the last decade, mad at the current status, and not optimistic about the future

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • Sad/Disappointed - how did it all go so wrong and sad about the mindset of our current star players

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Undecided - depends how things go this summer

Votes: 51 27.0%

• Total voters

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I see not much hope until the Pegulas are driven out of town & afterwards a proper exorcism has to be performed

The Reality is the Pegulas are the owners for the forseeable future. There is no real option for a local owner to buy the club. Especially if the valuation is really high at $300+ million; and the economic uncertainty remains prevalent.

My advice is the take a month off. come back around draft time and see what happens.

Reactions: Eichel9

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
I'm an all of the above

I finally believe they have a base or a pipe line that is nhl quality after it being completely destroyed

They have young talent but need a guy that can lead and can show them how to win. They need their drury. Maybe it comes from a younger coach or it comes from a trade

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I went with Sad, but could have also picked ambivalent or angry.
I hate what’s been done with this once respectable team, but I’m also much more indifferent than I used to be. I definitely still care though or I wouldn’t be on a Sabres board.

I am also maybe ever so slightly hopeful... even though Eichel and Reinhart want out.

With those 2 trades alone I feel like Kevyn Adams has a chance to pretty much rebuild this team, assuming he’s up to the task and doesn’t get abused by other GMs. And I’m not exactly confident that won’t happen.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm not that mad, this team has been poorly run since Lindy and Darcy. There just isn't anything in the future that makes me go "that's it, that is what will turn this around".

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I remember never missing a game. I'd record and avoid updates until I got home to watch my favorite players and young forwards and defensemen making progress.

Each goal would bring an impromptu audible cheer and each loss was heartbreaking. I looked ahead to see who was next on the schedule and planned my day, my life in some ways, around games. The off-season was long with critical points of interest.

Now, sometimes I'll check if they played, sometimes I just don't remember to. The callused scar of losing will prompt a "pfff" and leave me wondering why I bothered looking. When I happen to catch a game, they're generally meaningless, along with the goals scored.

I do still enjoy watching young players progress and the occasional nifty goal but I can't help, in the back of my head, wondering how long each kid might be around or if he's truly hitting his potential with this team and then, if he wonders the same thing himself...

Sad, bored, embarrassed, uninspired, resentful, yet I miss them.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I'm more depressed than angry. The organization has certainly failed, but it's not all one person's fault. I'm not interested in blaming anybody in particular, including the owners, I just want it to get fixed.

I'm hopeful that Adams can get it right and that we can start over with this young core and turn it around before too long. I understand the Eichel/Reinhart/Risto mindsight and why they feel the way they feel, but I also don't appreciate it. I wish they'd be positive and commit to being here and getting it right rather than bitching and pouting and throwing the organization under the bus instead of just asking for a trade behind closed doors.

Having said that, I don't blame them for the state of the team. Again, I don't care about blame. Just want it to be better.

I'm ok with Adams trading Eichel/Reinhart IF he can get a good return because it could help turn things in the right direction, but if he screws it up, it's going to set the team back for much longer and that's going to be real tough to deal with. The truth is we have no reason to think they'll get it right, but I'm going to hope for it anyway.

Well said.
You summed up my thoughts exactly.

Sucks that it’s come to this, but hopefully the return for Sam and Jack is solid. Add that with the solid young pieces that are already here and I am hopeful this next rebuild will be brief.

The idea of a probable top pick in 2022 helps keep the hope alive.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I'm excited. The off-season is a time for optimism.

It is true that the Sabres have been bad for so long and have piled so many mistakes upon mistakes that it is well within reason to have no faith that good things will now start happening. For this reason I can't say that I have faith or confidence that things will turn around. I do remain optimistic though, because:

- I think this is Kevyn Adams' first true off-season as GM. For the most part, I think that the good moves from his tenure (not committing to any really bad long-term deals, replenishing our draft capital, firing Krueger, hiring Karmanos) were his decisions. At the same time, I largely think that the bad moves (gutting the hockey ops, going with the "flat" management set-up, Hall, Eakin) were the Pegula's or Krueger's decisions. Aside from the above, Adams has essentially no track record in this role. That's frightening in one sense because he could be quite bad at it. On the other hand, he's not Murray or Botterill so there is at least hope that he is finally the guy who gets it right. On balance, I think he has done more good than bad to this point and has positioned the team with cap space and draft capital to take a positive jump forward next season

- I think we have assets in place that will allow us to be successful IF the hockey ops dept starts piling good decisions on top of good decisions. I don't think the Sabres will be a playoff team next year. Assuming we go back to the standard divisional format, it is hard for me to see them leaping one of Tampa, Toronto, Florida or Boston next year. Perhaps a wild card is possible, but that would mean jumping 4 Met division teams, all of whom had a better record than us this past season. What I do think though is that if you add Eichel, Girgensens, McCabe, Ullmark and a solid back-up goalie to the roster that ended the season, and you have the right coach in place, we will then be poised to have the best season we have had since we last made the playoffs. With the vet core still being young and with lots of good young talent starting to emerge, the future is bright. Unfortunately, we have positioned ourselves in a spot where our two best players, Eichel and Reinhart, may have simply had enough. If that is the case and the organization chooses to move on from those two, then the return should be very good and will either net us good veteran players who can replace Eichel and Reinhart on next year's roster or future high-end assets or a combination of both.

To summarize, my optimism rests with my firm belief that the pieces are in place for a competent management team to execute a legitimate move to being a playoff team by 2022-23 and a contender shortly after that. My optimism is tempered by not having evidence that the management team is competent...but at least it is not the case that they have proven to be incompetent.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Angry. Tired of this shit. We deserve better than this, and we deserve owners who care about every side of hockey. AKA a SCOUTING DEPARTMENT, and COMPETENT HOCKEY OPS. I want boot Kevyn out on his ass.

Scouting is a 5-7 yr project around most players.

team right now reflects the 2014-2016 drafts

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am frustrated by the step forward and step back

the team needs stability in in a plan. Murray actually had one.

pits not a rebuild if they trade ERR but if they trade both Reinhart and Eichel they need a vet center on the team.
If they wait till next summer to trade Eichel they won’t because mitts and Cozens have more experience.

I laugh at people claim Adams need to be replaced but Drury, yzerman, and other former players were qualified.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am frustrated by the step forward and step back

the team needs stability in in a plan. Murray actually had one.

pits not a rebuild if they trade ERR but if they trade both Reinhart and Eichel they need a vet center on the team.
If they wait till next summer to trade Eichel they won’t because mitts and Cozens have more experience.

I laugh at people claim Adams need to be replaced but Drury, yzerman, and other former players were qualified.
I know Drury was being groomed for the position for years and I believe Stevie Y was as well. Adams equivalent is Garth Snow, and that's REALLY bad.

Reactions: explore

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Where's the "existential dread" option?

Although I am optimistic, "existential dread" may be only 1 or 2 bad decisions away. A bad return on Eichel or a disastrous decision for the next head coach and we could be in huge trouble. We may be only 1 or 2 bad decisions away from having a player like Wright or Bedard sit in the stands and say "I'm not putting that jersey on".

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I know Drury was being groomed for the position for years and I believe Stevie Y was as well. Adams equivalent is Garth Snow, and that's REALLY bad.

I think you have correctly identified a flaw in comparing the Adams situation to the Drury or Yzerman situations, that being that when Drury and Yzerman were promoted to GM they had been in higher roles for longer periods than Adams. The flaw in your comparison on Adams to Snow though, is that you eliminate from the assessment any consideration for the individual's natural aptitude for the role. Maybe Yzerman would have been a Snow-level GM had he not been groomed for longer. And maybe Snow would be an elite GM had he spent years in a developmental role. Or, maybe Yzerman was naturally good at the position and Snow was always going to be in over his head. None of this means anything in relation to how Adams is going to fair. More experience in lesser roles would be preferable, but it may be that Adams is just a guy who is smart and level-headed and will do well learning on the job.

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
I'm in an abusive relationship with my sports teams.

The Sabres are going to do something to give me (and many of us) false hope, then crush them.
Throughout this drought they've always done things to give us hope. And I don't speak for all of us, but I speak for many of us.

Jack Eichel
Rasmus Dahlin
Taylor Hall
The 10 game win streak
The 9-2-1 start

This year I stopped watching when we went on the 18 game losing streak, then started watching when Granato took over and they started looking decent..
The Bills did the same thing for 17 years.

Drew Bledsoe
Terrell Owens
Mario Williams
The 5-1 start
Beating New England
Rex Ryan

Then they found Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott.

Sooner or later the Sabres will find their equivalent of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The Reality is the Pegulas are the owners for the forseeable future. There is no real option for a local owner to buy the club. Especially if the valuation is really high at $300+ million; and the economic uncertainty remains prevalent.

My advice is to take years off. come back around the 2030 draft and see what happens.
I corrected

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Angry.

Internet sources I read with no NHL front-office experience could've done a significantly better job than Jason Botterill.

I'm angry at both the Pegulas for being morons, and Jack Eichel for continually acting like a spoiled child when representing this team.

Reactions: Eichel9

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I went with disappointed.

Although, detached/numb might be an even better description of where I am at.

I am not checked out. I just have no reasonable hope that they will turn this thing around anytime soon.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I went with disappointed.

Although, detached/numb might be an even better description of where I am at.

I am not checked out. I just have no reasonable hope that they will turn this thing around anytime soon.

I got a little angry again the last couple days watching the first playoff games and remember what hockey is supposed to look like.

Zippy Chippy

Apr 6, 2015
I remember never missing a game. I'd record and avoid updates until I got home to watch my favorite players and young forwards and defensemen making progress.

Each goal would bring an impromptu audible cheer and each loss was heartbreaking. I looked ahead to see who was next on the schedule and planned my day, my life in some ways, around games. The off-season was long with critical points of interest.

Now, sometimes I'll check if they played, sometimes I just don't remember to. The callused scar of losing will prompt a "pfff" and leave me wondering why I bothered looking. When I happen to catch a game, they're generally meaningless, along with the goals scored.

I do still enjoy watching young players progress and the occasional nifty goal but I can't help, in the back of my head, wondering how long each kid might be around or if he's truly hitting his potential with this team and then, if he wonders the same thing himself...

Sad, bored, embarrassed, uninspired, resentful, yet I miss them.

Same here. I'm enjoying playoff hockey, which makes me miss the "good old days" even more. One day we'll be back... I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad