How are our new Waiver acquisitions doing?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Because of a very rare scheduling issue, I've missed the last few Jets games. I generally get to see every one.

So I've missed Peluso's first game, even if it was limited minutes. I haven't seen Tangradi play much at all, but I know that Wright was looking like an amazing pickup for us last I watched.

How were the games for Peluso and Tangradi over the past week or so? Did Peluso look like he could be a real 4th liner? Does Tangradi show any indication that he could have played on a line with Malkin?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought Peluso looked good. Beat the snot out of Krys Barch and he looks like a smooth skater. A couple times he grabbed the puck and skated up the ice and I was thinking "this is the guy who just kicked the crap out of Barch?". Honestly I like him over Thorburn right now.

Tangradi's had some good chances, I feel he'll bury one soon. Wright is amazing. Him and Stuart will sacrifice themselves with no questions asked. One of the few bright spots of the PK.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Big Tony P: We haven't seen much of him (less than 8 minutes), but I am curious about what he brings. He has flashed less that awful hockey and I really don't think he could be much worse that Thor. We should get another look tonight. Hopefully he show us something.

Wright Stuff: Nice speed. Nice on the forecheck. Nice defensive awareness. Decent on the PK. Seemingly very limited offensive ability. Best addition of the three thus far IMO.

Tang: I think he has looked good. He hasn't been very physical since the first game, but I haven't seen many major flaws either. He has clear offensive instincts, but Noel doesn't seem to trust him defensively. He needs to start chipping on on the score sheet.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Side note: I notice people (not the OP exclusively) keep putting Tangradi in with the waiver wire acquisitions when he was a trade. :)

Ahhh, you are correct! Now I'm just perpetuating this mistake :naughty:

Thanks for the replies, it looks like Peluso may get another shot tonight. I look forward to seeing what he's got in the way of actual hockey skills, we know what else he brings.

You know, I don't mind the process of trying to pick some underappreciated pieces from other teams to see if they can shine when given a decent chance. I just hope we continue to give them a real chance.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ahhh, you are correct! Now I'm just perpetuating this mistake :naughty:

Thanks for the replies, it looks like Peluso may get another shot tonight. I look forward to seeing what he's got in the way of actual hockey skills, we know what else he brings.

You know, I don't mind the process of trying to pick some underappreciated pieces from other teams to see if they can shine when given a decent chance. I just hope we continue to give them a real chance.

Hahah no worries :P

I'm interested too..
Worst case scenario = he's worse than Thor and he goes byebye
Best case scenario = he's better than Thor and Thor goes byebye

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I've been impressed with Wright. Throws the body around and flies all over the ice. Seeing as he's on a checking line, it's not surprising that he hasn't had much offensive production.

For Peluso, his first game was obviously not great, but I enjoyed him rearranging Barch's face and I noticed he had decent possession and speed in a later shift. There was a time when he was pressured in the offensive zone and instead of trying to make a play and almost certainly turning the puck over, he just put it back in deep, which is the smarter play. I like that he's not trying to be something he's not.

And in the interest of completeness, our trade pickup Tangradi is a very big guy, hopefully a faster/give-a-care Antropov when he walks #AntroHate ;)

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Hahah no worries :P

I'm interested too..
Worst case scenario = he's worse than Thor and he goes byebye
Best case scenario = he's better than Thor and Thor goes byebye

I don't really get the indifference to Thorburn. I LOVE his attitude. Wears his heart on his sleeve. ALWAYS will stick up for his team mates. Always is there at the end of the game congratulating all of the guys after a win. He looks like a hard nosed kid from the north end. I don't see him making a whole lot of mistakes. I have no problem with him playing regularly on our fourth line and could only wish all of our players had his attitude towards the game.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't really get the indifference to Thorburn. I LOVE his attitude. Wears his heart on his sleeve. ALWAYS will stick up for his team mates. Always is there at the end of the game congratulating all of the guys after a win. He looks like a hard nosed kid from the north end. I don't see him making a whole lot of mistakes. I have no problem with him playing regularly on our fourth line and could only wish all of our players had his attitude towards the game.

I like those attributes... especially on a 4th line.
I just like them with hockey ability like Wright and Slater.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I have nothing against Thor. He seems like a swell dude and I like his attitude, but he really isn't good. He was the worst Jet regular last year and he continues to be.

Not to mention he is being more and more marginalized this year. He is playing seven sheltered minutes a games.

If Tony can do that and not get pummeled in most of his fights, I see it as an upgrade.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Side note: I notice people (not the OP exclusively) keep putting Tangradi in with the waiver wire acquisitions when he was a trade. :)

Would have been a waiver pick up but cheaper to send a 7th rounder than transmit information over the waiver wire.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wright:

better every game, a steal

Peluso:

very limited play (2 games), 1 1/2 fights, looks like a good skater

Tangradi:

Wheeler without speed or skill, doesn't hit, can't score, a roster fill until someone better comes along, waste of a 7th round pick, should have been a waiver claim

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Wright:

Peluso:

Tangradi:

Wheeler without speed or skill, doesn't hit, can't score, a roster fill until someone better comes along, waste of a 7th round pick, should have been a waiver claim

My sentiments exactly. Only caveat is that last year through 18 games you would have described Wheeler as a Wheeler without speed or skill, doesn't hit, can't score...

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

I'll take half of those attributes and twice the talent.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
The pickups have been great so far, Tangradi needs a little tweaking but still a great pickup.. Peluso is like the Jets resident MMA fighter lol! Out of all of them, if I had to choose a jersey I'd wear and how impressed I am. I'd definitely get a Wright jersey.

It's great to have an organization that will give players a chance.

The philosophy of building a contender with people who want to be here will definitely show in a couple of seasons if not sooner. It's great that they are still young too.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Wright:

Peluso:

Tangradi:

Considering 80% of players drafted in the 7th round never play a single NHL game not sure how a player who is playing in the NHL is a waste of a 7th round pick. That's an excellent use of a 7th rounder since there's only a 20% chance that pick will ever get a player as good as Tandrad and waiver wire pickups cost $$.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The pickups have been great so far, Tangradi needs a little tweaking but still a great pickup.. Out of all of them, if I had to choose a jersey I'd wear and how impressed I am. I'd definitely get a Wright jersey.

It's great to have an organization that will give players a chance.

The philosophy of building a contender with people who want to be here will definitely show in a couple of seasons if not sooner. It's great that they are still young too.

Just how exactly is Tangradi a good pickup, guy is real slow, has stone hands and when he has had his chances refuses to hit, he's a soft player that most teams wouldn't want on their roster. IMO you might as well have someone from St. Johns here in his spot and it wouldn't have cost a 7th round pick.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Considering 80% of players drafted in the 7th round never play a single NHL game not sure how a player who is playing in the NHL is a waste of a 7th round pick. That's an excellent use of a 7th rounder since there's only a 20% chance that pick will ever get a player as good as Tandrad and waiver wire pickups cost $$.

Patric Hornqvist, Sergei Kostitsyn, Troy Brouwer, Mark Streit, Joe Pavelski, Kyle Brodziak, Maxime Talbot.... would all think differently!;)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Patric Hornqvist, Sergei Kostitsyn, Troy Brouwer, Mark Streit, Joe Pavelski, Kyle Brodziak, Maxime Talbot.... would all think differently!;)

They fall in the 20% that play a single game or more. The number that become regular NHLer's is below 10%. Should I list the hundreds of players drafted in the 7th round that never play a single NHL game?

Fact is trading a 7th round pick for even a borderline NHL player is playing the odds far into your favour.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
our waiver pickups look pretty impressive right now.

Really wish peluso'd get some more minutes, and i don't mean that just because of the points (1's legit, the other kinda "gifted") EDIT: take that back, just saw the replay, those are "real" assists.

he can play hockey, i just hope he continues to get the opportunity too.

at this moment in time i take him over thorbs 9/10 times

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
our waiver pickups look pretty impressive right now.

Really wish peluso'd get some more minutes, and i don't mean that just because of the points (1's legit, the other kinda "gifted") EDIT: take that back, just saw the replay, those are "real" assists.

he can play hockey, i just hope he continues to get the opportunity too.

at this moment in time i take him over thorbs 9/10 times

Yeah he looks like he belongs out there!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad