How are Jarnkrok/Bonino outscoring Duchene/Johansen in NSH?

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Came across this when looking at Nashville's stats, centers Calle Jarnkrok and Nick Bonino are both outscoring Matt Duchene and Ryan Johansen despite receiving less ice time and less powerplay time. Pretty surprising stat.

Duchene/Johansen that bad or Bonino/Jarnkrok that good?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Came across this when looking at Nashville's stats, centers Calle Jarnkrok and Nick Bonino are both outscoring Matt Duchene and Ryan Johansen despite receiving less ice time and less powerplay time. Pretty surprising stat.

Duchene/Johansen that bad or Bonino/Jarnkrok that good?

I have Johansen in my fantasy league and can't bring myself to trade him for Bonino...
I really don't get it :laugh:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Jarnkrok isn't a center, he's actually been on Johansen's wing most of the season. He's having probably his best season as well.

The third line is Grimaldi - Bonino - Smith, which benefits from Grimaldi's speed, Smith's defense and Bonino's willingness to go to the net.

As good as that third line has been, Laviolette split them up last night along with the Blackwell - Sissons - Watson line, to spread their hustle and work ethic throughout the lineup. The Preds scored 8 goals.

One thing that has hurt the Preds top-6 this season is injuries. Forsberg, Granlund, Arvidsson and Duchene have all missed games to injury.

Duchene hasn't really been allowed to gel with anyone yet even though his talent is obvious, game after game he is making plays but has no finisher on his line. At the beginning of the season he scored well when paired with Forsberg and Granlund, but then the injuries started and his line has been in a blender ever since.

Johansen, seems to be a case of work ethic. He can take over a game when he's got some fire in his belly, but it seems like he's content to coast through large portions of the regular season. I think he suffers from missing Arvidsson more than anything, Johansen thrived on playing a responsible game in his own end and collecting assists by springing Arvidsson for breakaways.

The Preds lack of top-6 scoring is a major reason for their standing at the moment. The bottom-6 playing well is great, but not enough to carry the team alone. Not with the inconsistent defense and goaltending that we've gotten.

But I think moreso than just injury and lazy play, what it really boils down to, is the continued failure of the Predators powerplay. It's been more than a full year of a truly awful powerplay that the coaching staff cannot figure out. And not scoring on their advantage opportunities is sucking a lot of points off of the top-6 totals.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Jarnkrok is making most out of his opportunity on 1st line and increased PP time. He's adapting well to a more offensive role by shooting a lot more instead of going for the safe play he used to do.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Johansen is pretty much relying on whoever flanks him for offense. A player that rarely ever shoots isn’t going to produce much extra offense than someone like Ovie who constantly fires the puck which generates rebounds etc.

Johansen is relying on his linemates to score so he can contribute and if they don’t, well, this is what you get. A pass first player can go cold pretty quick.

Duchene is pretty shocking. He should be doing far better obviously.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Duchene is like a guy that would be the world's greatest snake handler, but get bit by coral snakes because he's too caught up thinking about the red/black/yellow mnemonic. That's how he plays hockey.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Johansen is pretty much relying on whoever flanks him for offense. A player that rarely ever shoots isn’t going to produce much extra offense than someone like Ovie who constantly fires the puck which generates rebounds etc.

Johansen is relying on his linemates to score so he can contribute and if they don’t, well, this is what you get. A pass first player can go cold pretty quick.

Duchene is pretty shocking. He should be doing far better obviously.

I don't really think being pass-first is the cause of him not producing. I think it's work ethic, plain and simple. Johansen doesn't seem to have shaken the knock on him coming out of junior of not showing up all the time.

As a Canucks fan, you should know better than most that a pass first player can still be a game changer every night even if he can only score 10-15 goals in a season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Duchene will bounce back, he is a streaky player. Johansen is just not that good. He is like someone who modeled himself after Joe Thornton but is really bad at being Joe Thornton. Just as slow though.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something, the last player to hit 70 points on the Preds was in 2007 - 2008 when J.P. Dumont and Jason Arnott both got 72. Aside from that, they've pretty much only hit mid 60's though a couple would have gotten more if not for injuries. Only twice have they had an 80+ point player and that was Paul Kariya.

The Nashville Predators are an offensive black hole. They win based on team defense and depth but have never really had any game breakers. Philip Forsberg has come close but injuries prevented him from hitting that plateau. Every other guy they have brought in for one reason or another has not lived up to the expectations.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Both Johansen and Duchene are talented but don’t play to their talent. There is a reason Columbus fans were happy trading RyJo for Seth Jones and many didn’t want to sign Duchene to a long contract and lose another first round pick to Ottawa.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Duchene is pretty lazy, both intellectually and physically. Dont know what happened to him - plays like he is on cruise control.

I say this as someone who has followed him casually since his Avs days.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Johansen is one of the most overrated players in the league, and Duchene takes time to get going.

EDIT: Although, it's time for Duchene to get it going..

Reactions: Breakers

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
lol. johansen sucks. guy had one good year and after that barely passes 50 points with arvy/forsberg as his wingers.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
lol. johansen sucks. guy had one good year and after that barely passes 50 points with arvy/forsberg as his wingers.

Yeah there was some RyJo hype around here back in the day, I remember when he was upset he didn't get acknowledged or a standing ovation upon his return to Columbus. He didn't exactly lead the team to the promised land there.

Reactions: Voight and sens13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad