How are Ben Bishop's pads legal?

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I remember a story that when the NHL reduced the pad size a few years ago, Bish didn't even have to get smaller pads because he wasn't using the biggest possible before. I doubt he would be using bigger than allowed now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Look at the equipment a baseball catcher wears vs a hockey goalie. It’s not about safety, it’s about taking up the entire net. It’s absurd and it’s suffocating the game.
So you’ll have absolutely zero issue of you putting on a catchers gear and taking slap shots and posting a video here for us to see?

Reactions: AD Skinner

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Look at the equipment a baseball catcher wears vs a hockey goalie. It’s not about safety, it’s about taking up the entire net. It’s absurd and it’s suffocating the game.

Take this weak ass argument out of here. Try playing the position before you pretend to know anything about it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yup. The whole goalie position is a joke in today's NHL. It's all about being big, having oversized equipment, and covering as much of the net as possible and hoping that the puck hits the goalie's equipment. It should be about making reads and having good reactions to make saves, not about being big and hoping the puck hits them. Unfortunately, reaction goalies are a dying breed, and soon 6'4" will be the minimum any competent goalie will be.

The next step's easy to predict as well, where we'll have the goalies on 10k calorie diets and covering the entire net without even having to move.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I would like goaltending to go back to being a skilled position.
A skilled position where they used to suck, you mean? The kind of shots they failed to stop were often weak as hell.
Yup. The whole goalie position is a joke in today's NHL. It's all about being big, having oversized equipment, and covering as much of the net as possible and hoping that the puck hits the goalie's equipment. It should be about making reads and having good reactions to make saves, not about being big and hoping the puck hits them. Unfortunately, reaction goalies are a dying breed, and soon 6'4" will be the minimum any competent goalie will be.

The next step's easy to predict as well, where we'll have the goalies on 10k calorie diets and covering the entire net without even having to move.
NHL goalies who saw the transition to modern flex sticks - and when the players learnt how to use them - say that the wristers they fire today are as basically fast as slappers used to be. It's extremely difficult to make reaction saves nowadays, because the human reaction time isn't fast enough.

Reaction goalies are of a dying breed, because they can't react fast enough. If you want them back, you need to go back to wooden sticks. As for "the obvious progression" that the NHL will see sumo goalies, not a chance. Even if you're big, you still have to be very athletic and mobile to be a good goalie.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

I really hope you're joking.......

.......but I have a feeling you're not.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Ben-Bishop-Dallas-Stars-Dallas-Tornado.jpg

It's getting ridiculous they come past his nipples
That’s seriously insane

Where can I get these pads. Asking for a friend.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
That’s seriously insane

Where can I get these pads. Asking for a friend.

Is your friend Darren Pang?

You need to be tall enough to see over the top of the pads in that position. If you have to open up the pads to see through it opens up the five hole.

Reactions: tardigrade81

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I think that was a joke .

How is it a joke? His leg pads are literally above his nipples in the picture.

It doesn’t matter how low you crouch; equipment that is meant to protect your shins shouldn’t be above your chest.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
The damn things extend 2 full feet above his knee. That has absolutely nothing to do with protection whatsoever.

xSPByrhkMKkHJw1Byupk9IUbbXAyFkPGft2pb6lSHwVBxbr_aJNiXZNdCh7TArKl-7ARUsdlHCJX6v1U0Xul0cUtEHrLk4lC0fOVrH4

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
These pads are supposed to protect his shins. LOL. What an absolute farce. :laugh:

usa_today_12305311.0.jpg

You really think goalie pads are there to protect our shins? This is what you think? You think the catching glove is supposed to protect our hand? I mean "IT"S SO MUCH BIGGER THAN HIS HAND!!", right?

The pad is there to stop pucks while offering protection to the goalie.

I truly do not understand your logic here.

Every set of pads you have shown is in compliance with the NHL'd rules.

They are smaller now than they have been for several years.

If you don't like it, petition the league, or something.

You'd think that no goals are ever scored judging by your outrage at the size of current equipment.

Which again is the smallest it's been in many, many, years.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The clowns who think being a good goalie is just being big and having huge pads just need to look at the stats the similarly sized Anders Lindback put up playing for the same team as Bishop. Just saying.

Reactions: serp

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
The clowns who think being a good goalie is just being big and having huge pads just need to look at the stats the similarly sized Anders Lindback put up playing for the same team as Bishop. Just saying.

We already have the resident goalie in this thread on record admitting that these big pads are all about stopping pucks and not about protection, so you’ll need to find another argument.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why would the height of the pads be a problem for you?
because they can play off their knees and cover the five hole and more inches of the bottom of the net side to side. The athletecism and skill of the position gives way to sheer size.

I hate watching these guys playing off their knees myself and i'm not naive enough to think they need the amount they have legally for protection

Reactions: Auston Escobar

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
because they can play off their knees and cover the five hole and more inches of the bottom of the net side to side. The athletecism and skill of the position gives way to sheer size.

I hate watching these guys playing off their knees myself and i'm not naive enough to think they need the amount they have legally for protection
i'm cool with them playing off their knees but i could certainly do with it coming with the negative of leaving a wide open 5-hole there

those thigh protection flaps could just as easily be actual pads attached to their thighs in their legally mandated correct sized shorts

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

There are like 10 guys on pace for over 100 points, scoring is fine. You must be a a fan of one of those teams who can't score for shit and looking for excuses.

*Checks avatar
Yup

Reactions: Hoek

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i think its important to always be looking for ways to improve the game. Saying it's fine when it is a continual talking point of concern is putting your head in the sand. And i'm not referring to just these boards. Plenty of ex goalies actively involved in coaching, training and consulting have brought this topic up.

One of the reasons the NFL is so respected is their willingness to adapt and change rules for the betterment of the game. Just my opinion but i would rather tweaks in pad height vs some stupid rule that gives the offensive player the faceoff advantage instead of the home team.

I do agree the game is as good as ever. Especially once the new year passes and teams actually start to assert a more respectable degree of physicality

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
These pads are supposed to protect his shins. LOL. What an absolute farce. :laugh:

usa_today_12305311.0.jpg
I think the move to a percentage from knee to hip has skewed the pads size advantage too much towards taller goalies. Previously there was a max height for all. A compromise is needed.

I don't understand why a taller guy would need more inches above his knee than a shorter one for protection.

Bishop wears a 37+2. He is 6'7". Marty Brodeur wore 35s he was 6'2" and almost never was hurt or missed games.

This is from the evolution of goaltenders. A sports illustrated article in 2016

Garth Snow
(1995-06)
Goalies filled their nets by donning huge chest protectors and shoulder pads, big loose sweaters, double-wide pants and “thigh rise” leg pads that extended well above the knee to help close off their “five hole.” In 2005, the NHL decided enough was enough and began requiring form-fitting jerseys and pads proportioned to a goalie’s size. Leg pads could be no wider than 11 inches. Blockers were reduced from 16” to 15” and the circumference of catching gloves was shrunk from 48” to 45” to make pucks harder to hold onto and thus create more rebounds.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Imagine how much worse he'd be with smaller pads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad