How about Siberia for the 2014 Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I always find the winter olympics most enjoyable when they are either in the Alps or Scandanavia. The settting just feels so right. Somewhere in the Rockies would work really well also (Boulder, Denver, Canmore, Banff, etc.).

blamebettman*

Hasbro said:
Here's the listMy money is on Salzburg.

georgia and kazakhstan are too close to the middle east and not scenic enough for the olympics. Jaca spain might be too warm. You're right, Salzburg would be the best choice though what might hurt its chances is that it's too close to Turin relative to the other cities.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Epsilon said:
I always find the winter olympics most enjoyable when they are either in the Alps or Scandanavia. The settting just feels so right. Somewhere in the Rockies would work really well also (Boulder, Denver, Canmore, Banff, etc.).
I've heard rumblings Denver might try and get back into the Olympics (more on that in a sec).

Along the front range we've had 5 new arenas built in the last ten years (Pepsi Center, Magness-DU, World Arena-CC, Bud-Ft Collins, and Broomfield) and two more that could be used (Coors-CU, the Coloseum), I don't think we'd even have to build a single ski run and the only thing that is lacking infrastructure which has been undergoing a major overhaul anyway.

USOC is in the Springs and you could probably get the Skiers behind it with using aspen, Vail and maybe even Telluride. Hockey's popular enough here you could get the NHL and IIHF behind a bid.

NBC loves having the games in North America.

The largest deterent is Denver is the only host to ever give the Olympics back and the IOC had a long memory about that, maybe enough time has passed. Future governor Lamm led a movement against a tax meassure to pay for the games in 1972 concerned about growth and debt and the 76 games ended up in Innsbruk. Considering what happened in Montreal that year and Lake Placid getting the games to make up for Denver turning them down maybe it was for the best.

I don't know how the current government would feel about it, the governor is the lamest of ducks right now and the Mayor is trying to change the culture of City Hall. If it were Wellington Webb still in charge I'd say it would be a slam dunk that he'd build another monument to his ego.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
blamebettman said:
georgia and kazakhstan are too close to the middle east and not scenic enough for the olympics. Jaca spain might be too warm. You're right, Salzburg would be the best choice though what might hurt its chances is that it's too close to Turin relative to the other cities.

Have you even been there? :amazed:

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=elbrus&new=1&source=search_results_top

This is not in Georgia (Kabardino Balkaria, Russia) , but it's a part of the same mountain range.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
I also think Salzburg is going to get the 2014 Olympics. The Nagano Olympics were kind of a dud, so I don't think that the winter olympics are going to be headed back to Asia that quickly.

VladNYC*

blamebettman said:
georgia and kazakhstan are too close to the middle east and not scenic enough for the olympics.

Have you lost your mind? At least put a disclaimer in your profile that says you talk completlyt out of your ***.

Kazakstan:

Almaty.jpg

regent-almaty.jpg

Georgia:

http://www.borjomi-kharagauli-np.ge/index.php?ur=region-bakuriani

Yea no scenery at all! :shakehead

The causcases is probably one of the most visually impressive areas in the world. One place has snow a few miles down sub-tropical forest. Very mountainous, very green. It's an amazing place.

I dont know about Sochi tho....its warm..how would they do that there?

VladNYC*

blamebettman said:
sorry man, but it ain't the Euro Alps

The alps are like Mcdonalds and the Caucases are like a real resteraunt. It's no contest. I have been to both.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
blamebettman said:
Salzburg... what might hurt its chances is that it's too close to Turin relative to the other cities.
Way too close!

PyeongChang will get it. The South Korean community near Seoul lost it to Vancouver by only a couple of votes last time, the country showed in the 2002 World Cup of soccer that they can prepare well for a major event, and has hosted the summer olympics before in '88, winter sports like skiing is quite popular there these days, and most importantly, the Korean government will throw millions of millions of extra funds to ensure the infrastructure is first rate. Koreans have not only a strong sense of national identity but almost limitless willingness to throw money and effort at economic development.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
blamebettman said:
Chances are, if they're bidding then it'll be cold enough for the Olympics. Vancouver never gets below about 40 Farenheit. Calfornia once hosted the winter olympics. They don't have to be in the Alps.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
ferns8916 said:
How about they just hold the Winter Olympics in Canada from now on? Canadians have heart, and would make the best hosts year after year.

2010 = Vancouver
2014 = Montreal
2018 = Toronto
2022 = Ottawa
2026 = Edmonton
2030 = Calgary
2034 = Winnipeg
2038 = Halifax
2042 = Quebec
2046 = Hamilton

That would be awesome! The -40C games! Bring it on World!

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
ferns8916 said:
How about they just hold the Winter Olympics in Canada from now on? Canadians have heart, and would make the best hosts year after year.

2010 = Vancouver
2014 = Montreal
2018 = Toronto
2022 = Ottawa
2026 = Edmonton
2030 = Calgary
2034 = Winnipeg
2038 = Halifax
2042 = Quebec
2046 = Hamilton

And what mountains would they hold the alpine events on in Winnipeg, Halifax, Ottawa, and Hamilton? Even the ski hills near Montreal and Ottawa aren't big enough for anything more than the GS and Edmonton is too far from the rockies to qualify. Perhaps Quebec City will get it one day in the distant future.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
The olympics should only be in North America or Europe. No offense to people in Japan or Austrailia but that was ridiculous when we had to deal with those crazy time differences. I remember when the world cup was in Korea and the games started at 2 am... that was messed up.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
ScottyBowman said:
The olympics should only be in North America or Europe. No offense to people in Japan or Austrailia but that was ridiculous when we had to deal with those crazy time differences. I remember when the world cup was in Korea and the games started at 2 am... that was messed up.

Well, people in Asia and Australia deal with it, so can you from time to time. :) I had to stay up untill 2am just to get the result of a morning hockey match and check all other game-day results when after I woken up in the morning...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
ScottyBowman said:

The Olympics doesn't exist solely for the purpose of placating North American TV viewers.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Habsfunk said:
And what mountains would they hold the alpine events on in Winnipeg, Halifax, Ottawa, and Hamilton? Even the ski hills near Montreal and Ottawa aren't big enough for anything more than the GS and Edmonton is too far from the rockies to qualify. Perhaps Quebec City will get it one day in the distant future.

Well if you come to Winnipeg, we have these massive man-made mountains that are composed of old garbage...we also have the world's only 6-star ski resort that is essentially a big man-made ditch...

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
ferns8916 said:

2010 = Vancouver
2014 = Montreal
2018 = Toronto
2022 = Ottawa
2026 = Edmonton
2030 = Calgary
2034 = Winnipeg
2038 = Halifax
2042 = Quebec
2046 = Hamilton
:thumbd:

Status