How about Siberia for the 2014 Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
It's true- Austria, S.Korea, and Siberia are in the running for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Whoa- Siberia in February- would be interesting. I personally think S.Korea will get the nod and VERY unlikely NHLers will be in the 2014 games I think- the distances would be like Nagano and all the fatigue and travel problems. I would not count on NHL owners agreeing for their players to play in Siberia or S.Korea and then come back to get ready for the playoffs.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
puck57 said:
It's true- Austria, S.Korea, and Siberia are in the running for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Whoa- Siberia in February- would be interesting. I personally think S.Korea will get the nod and VERY unlikely NHLers will be in the 2014 games I think- the distances would be like Nagano and all the fatigue and travel problems. I would not count on NHL owners agreeing for their players to play in Siberia or S.Korea and then come back to get ready for the playoffs.

I've thought about where the games would be too, and I also think they'll go to S. Korea. Pyeongchang bid for the last two winter games I believe. It will probably be their turn, since it is about time for another Asian nation to host it (1998: Asia, 2002: North America, 2006: Europe, 2010: North America, 2014: ?).

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Can you provide a link? AFAIK Sochi is running for OG 2014, not "Siberia". Sochi is a Black Sea resort nowhere near Siberia.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
thefiestygoat said:
Siberian Olympics would be awesome but it is unlikely. What countries are in the running to host in 2014?

That is what I thought exactly. Imagine the possible buildup before the tournament. A Ovechkin& Malkin in their prime trying to win gold for Russia in Siberia. Would be great for the game! :clap:

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Heh, those guys have been smoking too much weed, or that's the only place they know in Russia. It's Sochi. :)

Check the bottom of this link.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Icekube said:
Heh, those guys have been smoking too much weed, or that's the only place they know in Russia. It's Sochi. :)

To the North American media (and a lot of people) there are only two places in Russia: "Moscow" and "Siberia".

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Siberia isn't a city or a administrative district... it couldn't possibly be running for the Olympics. Either someone on these boards or in the North American media is stupid. The city running is Sochi, a black sea resort, and probably the biggest summetime vacation spot in Russia.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
thefiestygoat said:
Sochi would be a cool place! I have actually heard of it before but that is because I am a big Maria Sharapova fan. She is from there. Go Sochi for 2014!

Cheer for Sochi if you want but whether it Sochi or Austria or S.Korea the NHL won't be sending players there- not after the injuries from this Olympics and the fatigue factor and too many games crammed together and not much of any break from the NHL schedule. Neither the NHL or the Olympic people want to lose money or modify their schedules to help the players with fatigue or being able to have more time to gel as a team, so unless there are some big consessions NHLers won't be there in 2014 IMO.

thefiestygoat

Jan 28, 2006
NJ & Tennessee
puck57 said:
Cheer for Sochi if you want but whether it Sochi or Austria or S.Korea the NHL won't be sending players there- not after the injuries from this Olympics and the fatigue factor and too many games crammed together and not much of any break from the NHL schedule. Neither the NHL or the Olympic people want to lose money or modify their schedules to help the players with fatigue or being able to have more time to gel as a team, so unless there are some big consessions NHLers won't be there in 2014 IMO.
Regardless of NHLers there or not, I will still watch the Olympics. I also watch other events as well, so go Sochi!

blamebettman*

I don't think the winter games should be in asian cities, when I think winter Olympics I see the Alps, Northwestern Europe, not China/Japan.

The 2014 games should be in Sweden or Switzerland

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Siberia is simply the part of Russia that is simply in Asia, yes?

I think they should be in northern Europe. I don't see any real pressing need for this to go to South Korea. Asia isn't exactly ripe with winter sports, other than speed skating, it's a few people here and there. I think Siberia would be most likely though, as it is not at all unprescidented to have 2 straight games in Europe as opposed to Asia or North America where there is only a hand full of countries in Asia, and 2 in North America (3 if Mexico decides to show up)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Here's the list
The host city for 2014 will be chosen in July 2007 in Guatemala City among the cities of: Almaty (Kazakhstan), Borjomi (Georgia), Jaca (Spain), PyeongChang (Republic of Korea), Salzburg (Austria), Sochi (Russia), Sofia (Bulgaria).
My money is on Salzburg.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
go kim johnsson 514 said:

Uhm historically, more or less - Yes. At least in western perception. Administratively, "Sibirsky federalny okrug" is what you'd call central Siberia if you checked a map. Neither the yakut republic or the pacific regions are administratively Siberian. Confusing, yes. :teach:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hasbro said:
Here's the listMy money is on Salzburg.

Me too or Russia...Bettman won't go if games are played in the middle of the night. It's not really condusive unless they're played in North America, but I think he'd go with Europe too. I don't know where Sochi is, but it will be definetaly no way if they're in South Korea or Kazakhstan.

I don't think any of those non-traditional cities for winter olympics will be picked? Spain, Georgia, Bulgaria I'd bet a pretty penny that they all had maybe 40 athletes combined, and South Korea had 40 athletes, but the only ones we ever hear from are speed skaters.

I think they'll wait until 2018 to go back to Asia

JoeLH

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
I think Salzburg is by far the most likely outcome. Perhaps Sochi has a chance too, Spain, Bulgaria and Korea are real underdogs and you can forget the others ...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Me too or Russia...Bettman won't go if games are played in the middle of the night. It's not really condusive unless they're played in North America, but I think he'd go with Europe too. I don't know where Sochi is, but it will be definetaly no way if they're in South Korea or Kazakhstan.

I don't think any of those non-traditional cities for winter olympics will be picked? Spain, Georgia, Bulgaria I'd bet a pretty penny that they all had maybe 40 athletes combined, and South Korea had 40 athletes, but the only ones we ever hear from are speed skaters.

I think they'll wait until 2018 to go back to Asia
They've only been to Asia for the Winter Games twice Sapporo 72 and Nagano in 98 and Nagano took a whole lot of bribery. If the 2016 Summer games don't go to the US expect North America to get another strong look for 2018.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005

I think they should be in northern Europe. I don't see any real pressing need for this to go to South Korea. Asia isn't exactly ripe with winter sports, other than speed skating, it's a few people here and there. I think Siberia would be most likely though, as it is not at all unprescidented to have 2 straight games in Europe as opposed to Asia or North America where there is only a hand full of countries in Asia, and 2 in North America (3 if Mexico decides to show up)

Its a geographical area in east-central Russia. No point in having Olympics in Siberia, as the few cities there are industrial towns with not alot of sport culture. Sochi, the TURE candidate city, doesn't make much sense either as it is a summertime resort. If you're gonna go Russia: something like St. Petersurg, Murkmansk, or if you really want to go Asia: Vladivostok should be picked.

joe_shannon_1983*

How about they just hold the Winter Olympics in Canada from now on? Canadians have heart, and would make the best hosts year after year.

2010 = Vancouver
2014 = Montreal
2018 = Toronto
2022 = Ottawa
2026 = Edmonton
2030 = Calgary
2034 = Winnipeg
2038 = Halifax
2042 = Quebec
2046 = Hamilton

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
ferns8916 said:
How about they just hold the Winter Olympics in Canada from now on? Canadians have heart, and would make the best hosts year after year.

2010 = Vancouver
2014 = Montreal
2018 = Toronto
2022 = Ottawa
2026 = Edmonton
2030 = Calgary
2034 = Winnipeg
2038 = Halifax
2042 = Quebec
2046 = Hamilton

:shakehead

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
ferns8916 said:

have some respect for other countries....

And as for Siberia, temperatures there are more than a little prohibitive, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->