How about Mikko Koskinen?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
So? Should I answer in threads when someone says "The Oilers have the best player in the NHL in McDavid" and start a rant about the Oilers? :facepalm:

Welcome to message boards, man. The conversation rarely stays on a singular topic. Tangential discussions occur.

You brought up the Leafs and are now getting mad about people talking about the Leafs.

You pissed your pants and are blaming someone else for pointing it out.

Reactions: smitty10

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
$2.5m seems like a damn bargain now! As dumb as Chia is, his best moves are when he doesn't trade superstar level talent. Even Kris Russell is living up to his contract at the moment. Also our farm system is probably the best it's been in over a decade. Chia would be atleast a competent level GM if he wasn't allowed to trade anybody that is actually important.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Chaisson will get 2.5M. Koskinen will get 3.5-4M if he keeps his play up. That's 6.5M, plus with contracts from Talbot gone (At this point, you keep either Koskinen or Talbot) and 11M in cap space, that's 15+M in Cap, and that's NOT including the 3.5M extra cap from going from 79.5 to 83M as projected for next year. The leafs are in a lot worse cap trouble than the Oilers.
Doubt Koskinen gonna make the same as Talbot especially if he’s putting up better numbers. Koskinen looking at least $5 million at his pace of play not to mention the Oil will need to pay him to stay and not test the market. Chaisson could be around that 3-4 million if he keeps scoring goals. Like you mentioned the cap is going up and that means salaries go up as well and isn’t Pool Party needing a new contract as well? If so he can’t cost too much most likely sign a bridge deal.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Doubt Koskinen gonna make the same as Talbot especially if he’s putting up better numbers. Koskinen looking at least $5 million at his pace of play not to mention the Oil will need to pay him to stay and not test the market. Chaisson could be around that 3-4 million if he keeps scoring goals. Like you mentioned the cap is going up and that means salaries go up as well and isn’t Pool Party needing a new contract as well? If so he can’t cost too much most likely sign a bridge deal.

Chaisson isn't getting 3-4M... look at Pat Maroon's contract after ~2 full seasons near 30 goals playing with McD.

Koskinen... I dunno. It's tough to imagine him commanding that much. How many teams could fit him above $4M next summer? It's too much for a back up and a big gamble on goaltending, where what you typically pay for is credential and consistency and Koski doesn't have either of those on his side. I could see maybe $4.5M, but just as likely it's $=<4.0M x 2 (that is assuming he doesn't win the Vezina or something crazy)... he's playing great and he'll be a 0.920+ SPCT hopefully, but to me this is still a great streak, one that 9/10 goalies in the league are capable of doing over 10-15 games.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Chaisson isn't getting 3-4M... look at Pat Maroon's contract after ~2 full seasons near 30 goals playing with McD.

Koskinen... I dunno. It's tough to imagine him commanding that much. How many teams could fit him above $4M next summer? It's too much for a back up and a big gamble on goaltending, where what you typically pay for is credential and consistency and Koski doesn't have either of those on his side. I could see maybe $4.5M, but just as likely it's $=<4.0M x 2 (that is assuming he doesn't win the Vezina or something crazy)... he's playing great and he'll be a 0.920+ SPCT hopefully, but to me this is still a great streak, one that 9/10 goalies in the league are capable of doing over 10-15 games.
Agree on Chaisson he be lucky to get $3 mill the most but Koskinen is a slippery slope. On one hand if he finishes the season putting up top ten numbers in wins, save %, GAA and shut outs he will command a starting goalie salary which will most likely start at that $4.5-5 million range easily. On the other hand it’s a hard to really gauge his success over one NHL season and if he’s capable of sustaining his play over a 4-5 year period which I’m sure the term of contract he’d be looking for either way Oilers got a solid looking goalie for once in a long time. I guess once the smoke settles and the end of season we will know for sure what his numbers are and I’m sure Chia will be talking extension.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
yes let's hype a goalie after barely a season like we did Petr Mrazek, Cam Talbot, Scott Darling, Martin Jones, Matt Murray... etc etc etc

these things always end well

Reactions: Nihiliste

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Welcome to message boards, man. The conversation rarely stays on a singular topic. Tangential discussions occur.

You brought up the Leafs and are now getting mad about people talking about the Leafs.

You pissed your pants and are blaming someone else for pointing it out.

:dunce: Didn't know you had to be this smart to know the difference between OP thread and a comment.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
yes let's hype a goalie after barely a season like we did Petr Mrazek, Cam Talbot, Scott Darling, Martin Jones, Matt Murray... etc etc etc

these things always end well
I'm not hyping him, but the difference to the goalies you mentioned is that Koskinen has been doing this consistently for the past 8 years wherever he's played. This is not an unusual level of play for him, ie. he's not on a sudden 15 game streak that is way beyond his average.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paralyzer

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
The advantage of being 6'7 is not too be dismissed too, even more so now that goalies had their equipment size reduced. If you look at Ben Bishop, he's been good for how many years in a row now, maybe 6-7?

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I'm not hyping him, but the difference to the goalies you mentioned is that Koskinen has been doing this consistently for the past 8 years wherever he's played. This is not an usual level of play for him, ie. he's not on a sudden 15 game streak that is way beyond his average.

like i said, i didn't anoint Carey Price as the best goalie ever based on a season or two

nor did i consider Hellebuyck elite based on last year's sole performance either

but 90% of people on these boards did

Koskinen is great so far, good for him - i tend to look at a few years of a sample size AT THE NHL LEVEL before I anoint anyone anything, i'm old fashioned like that

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's taken him until age 30 to become an NHL player.
He left North America in his early 20's though. Its possible that he was good enough to be an NHL goalie earlier, he just wasn't looking to come over to North America. The difference between good goalies and great goalies is consistency. At minimum, he has shown that he can go on a hot streak that is long enough to actually be among the best in the NHL when he is on one. There will certainly be ups and downs, there always are. It will be interesting to see where the average is.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The fact that hes 6-7 and takes up so much of the net probably means he was less affected by the goaltending equipment reduction and looks better than some of his peers as a result.

Whos comparble to him in size in the NHL? just curious. Is he one of the largest?

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
The fact that hes 6-7 and takes up so much of the net probably means he was less affected by the goaltending equipment reduction and looks better than some of his peers as a result.

Whos comparble to him in size in the NHL? just curious. Is he one of the largest?

Prolly lehner

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Ben Bishop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad