How about Mikko Koskinen?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Riding a hot streak now but looks solid. See how he is when the league has some tape on him and knows his weaknesses.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He always looked solid to me in national games etc., not surprised that he's having success. He has all the required attributes of a modern NHL goalie with his size, steadiness and calm personality. He would've probably been my first pick out of all the goalies outside of NHL.

He may not be the flashiest, or the most athletic, but he is the most ready to handle the pressures of a long season. While KHL isn't NHL, he has always been a big playoff performer there.

The Oilers were wise to sign him while he's hitting his prime without having to over-pay him.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I hope he's the answer to the Oilers goaltending issues moving forward but it's still too early to say anything except he's a better option than Talbot right now. He's looks promising.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Looking at his career what in the world did the Islanders do with him after they drafted him ? He barely played ( stats aren't that terrible in the minors ) in AHL , ECHL and then they just out exiled him to back to Finland . What the hell ? They used a pretty high draftpick in 2009 with #31 to draft him and then just completely gave up on him within a couple of year because he wasn't an NHL goalie in his early 20 yet.
Injuries

Reactions: Jyssy

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Lets see how he once the league has seen him a few more times.

Goalies are like starting pitchers in baseball--when they first come into the league and have god stuff, they look like magic--but once teams see them a few more times and do more scouting on them--they start to get hit. Goalies are the same way--some come in and look like the best--but after awhile the scouts see something and WAM--no more super goalie

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The Oilers record with him versus without is pretty startling, lol

8-2-1 w/Koskinen

5-9-1 w/Talbot

Todd McLellan kept starting Talbot and that probably cost him his job.
Well, McLellan is an awful NHL coach who makes stubbornly and consistently stupid choices. He is probably the best example I can think of in describing what is the definition of insanity.

And if someone doesn’t know what is the definition of insanity is: ”The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Reactions: Goldmember

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Too early to tell but I’m just glad to see our season not die on the back of Talbots struggles
Seems kind of unfair....I mean if anyone other then mcdavid could score talbot would not be such a oiler whipping boy.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Seems kind of unfair....I mean if anyone other then mcdavid could score talbot would not be such a oiler whipping boy.

I really don’t want to seem like I’m dumping on the guy. He’s given us some solid time and was one of the big reasons we made the playoffs. Hopefully he’s just having a rough streatch.

Reactions: skallin

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He's been dynamite so far.

I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to watch Oilers' games again and not expect, as a matter of course, the opposition to score (a) on their first shot on goal, and (b) on their first shift after scoring their first goal (goal upon goal). Talbot was seemingly helpless to prevent either of those two things.

We hope and pray that Koskinen is the new Hasek!
Please-gif.gif

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Which NHL team would make the playoffs with his current save percentage?
Well Calgary is first in the Pacific and Mike Smith has a worse save percentage than Talbot...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well Calgary is first in the Pacific and Mike Smith has a worse save percentage than Talbot...

If it was just Smith playing at his current save percentage the Flames likely wouldn't make the playoffs.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
If it was just Smith playing at his current save percentage the Flames likely wouldn't make the playoffs.
Smith has played more than rittich... and more than talbot!

He asked to provide an example of a playoff team with a goalie playing poorly... I did so. Talbot seems to be getting not entirely fair heat from fans. He shares blame but really the oilers are just weak in depth and weak defensively.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Looking at his career what in the world did the Islanders do with him after they drafted him ? He barely played ( stats aren't that terrible in the minors ) in AHL , ECHL and then they just out exiled him to back to Finland . What the hell ? They used a pretty high draftpick in 2009 with #31 to draft him and then just completely gave up on him within a couple of year because he wasn't an NHL goalie in his early 20 yet.
It's taken him until age 30 to become an NHL player.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

He asked to provide an example of a playoff team with a goalie playing poorly... I did so. Talbot seems to be getting not entirely fair heat from fans. He shares blame but really the oilers are just weak in depth and weak defensively.

Yeah and he's 8-7-1 . That pace wouldn't get any team into the playoffs. Flames are trying to get Smith going by playing him against a terrible team like the Hawks today and thats fine but in an important game i don't think Smith starts right now.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I don't know about that . I would think he could've broken into the NHL once he had his game going in the KHL . Pretty sure he was NHL caliber prior to this year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wonder how much of this is just the puck hitting him and EDM playing better in games he's started. Haven't really done a deep dive on him, even so goalies are hard to evaluate.

Their buddy a couple hundred miles south in David Rittich posted similar numbers over a similar sample.

Guess we'll see how sustainable this is

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Talbot has been objectively awful the last year and start to this season. He has to have set some sort record for number of goals on the first or second shot, I think the number for him was around 12-14 starts where that’s happened in the last year and a bit. That’s insane.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Yea, Panarin wasn't either NHL level player in 14-15 in KHL but in 2015 summer he developed massively and scored 77 points in 80 games next year in NHL.

Koskinen was in Finlands World Cup team despite fact that 11 finnish goalies played in NHL 15-16 and 7 in 16-17 seasons. And he has been #1 goalie over NHL goalies in Wolrd Champs.

It has been pretty clear for few years that he is NHL caliber. How good goalie he can be in NHL? We will find out in few years.

Reactions: Gsus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad