Proposal: How about bringing more offense?

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Honest question. Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup finals with this team but lose in 7 games. Do you still come out and say how horrendous the roster is?

Also, whats your solution to fixing all of this? Who should be grab? Who should be trade?

:laugh: He already does.

2010 Cup run was a fluke, according to a certain poster.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
i think we should focus on defense this short season, do whatever we can to bring in a potential top pairing defenseman, and then target corey perry in the offseason, with Timonen's cap hit since he will likely retire after this season... i'd really like to offer sheet Kulikov.

Perry - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Laughton - Fedetenko

Coburn - Kulikov
Schenn - Meszaros
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Gervais/Foster?

Bryz
Stupid

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
i think we should focus on defense this short season, do whatever we can to bring in a potential top pairing defenseman, and then target corey perry in the offseason, with Timonen's cap hit since he will likely retire after this season... i'd really like to offer sheet Kulikov.

Perry - Giroux - Voracek

Coburn - Kulikov
Schenn - Meszaros
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Gervais/Foster?

Bryz
Stupid

That's some kind of math to get under a 64.3 cap.... :laugh:

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012

Perry - Giroux - Voracek

Coburn - Kulikov
Schenn - Meszaros
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Gervais/Foster?

Bryz
Stupid

:laugh:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
That's some kind of math to get under a 64.3 cap.... :laugh:

Maybe then you trade Briere or amnesty him (even though i doubt they'd do that with briere) and sign a RW to replace him in FA on a smaller cap hit. Perhaps bring Gagne back on a 2 or 3 year deal. Miettinen, Ryder, Horton, Morrow, Connolly are also guys who are free agents after this year as well. I would love Nathan Horton, or Gagne coming back. i also wouldn't mind miettinen

something like

Perry - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Horton

would be pretty awesome. might be a little too much crash and band and not enough puck possession though, especially outside of the top line...

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Maybe then you trade Briere or amnesty him (even though i doubt they'd do that with briere) and sign a RW to replace him in FA on a smaller cap hit. Perhaps bring Gagne back on a 2 or 3 year deal. Miettinen, Ryder, Horton, Morrow, Connolly are also guys who are free agents after this year as well. I would love Nathan Horton, or Gagne coming back. i also wouldn't mind miettinen

something like

Perry - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Horton

would be pretty awesome. might be a little too much crash and band and not enough puck possession though, especially outside of the top line...

If you can afford Gagne or Horton, you give them one year deals. Anything more is a big risk with their concussion histories.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Perry - Giroux - Voracek

Coburn - Kulikov
Schenn - Meszaros
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Gervais/Foster?

Bryz
Stupid
What is your kulikov offer...?

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Doubt that high.

even approaching 6m would have Florida thinking hard

I think Florida would reluctantly match as great young defenders don't come often and the chances of finding another kulikov with a low first, second, and third would be pretty lucky. I don't think the compensation would be enough.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
don't know about that. kulikov is good, but he's a notch below top tier in terms of the young defesemen in the league. and they have gudbranson who, while a different type of player, i think they like more down there.
It's about actually attracting the RFA to sign and warding away the original club. Florida isn't going to want to let a choice asset walk for less than 4 firsts comp.

Evergreen

I would be interested in bringing Simon Gagne back. By all accounts, he's healthier than he's been in years and seeing as he's my favorite player, I'd be all for having him back in Orange & Black. Also, I was trying to come up with some lines for the time being with Briere out and it looks like we have a hole in our offense. Gagne could fill in at LW with Schenn and Simmonds while Briere is out, then he could slide down to 3rd line with Couturier and Read.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Gagne - Schenn - Simmonds
Fedotenko - Couturier - Read
Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo

Schenn - Briere - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Fedotenko - Talbot - Wellwood/Rinaldo

rban*

Filling our defensive needs WILL generate more offense, Getting a very skilled offensive Dman will generate offense for the team, and it will kill both birds with one stone.

Wish we could get Edler.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Filling our defensive needs WILL generate more offense, Getting a very skilled offensive Dman will generate offense for the team, and it will kill both birds with one stone.

Wish we could get Edler.

This is 'Bang on' in my opinion, so many of our problems last year were when we were unable to effectively get out of the zone, once we were in their zone we looked great, but the transition play at times was abysmal, D-men just not being able to generate a pass or rush for their lives! Hopefully Mez being back and Timonen being rested up change this a bit though.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
as of now i am confident in only 1 of our Dmen to skate it out of our zone and thats Coburn.

That is one of the skills Gus brings and why I have been advocating him so much to be on the bottom pairing.

I think Ghost has that capability but he is a few years away for sure.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
How about focusing on defense. The teams main and really major concern. There is enough offense coming out of the system. A few players have to step it up, but there's definitely room for growth in Schenn, Voracek, and other key guys. Chris Stewart sucks.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I would be interested in bringing Simon Gagne back. By all accounts, he's healthier than he's been in years and seeing as he's my favorite player, I'd be all for having him back in Orange & Black. Also, I was trying to come up with some lines for the time being with Briere out and it looks like we have a hole in our offense. Gagne could fill in at LW with Schenn and Simmonds while Briere is out, then he could slide down to 3rd line with Couturier and Read.

Gagne - Schenn - Simmonds
Fedotenko - Couturier - Read
Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo

Schenn - Briere - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Fedotenko - Talbot - Wellwood/Rinaldo

You know that his health allowed no more than 34 games last season? This team has enough injury problems, i.e. concussion with their current roster. Time to move on.

Get some cheap help at defense....now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad