How a 321 point system would look for player scoring

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm fine with the goal + 2 assists maximum, but I think the 2nd assist should be more selectively awarded. I was thinking that it could be an automatic 2nd-assist if the pass is made inside the attacking zone, and beyond that it would be at the scorer's / off-ice official's discretion.

I've seen Wayne Gretzky plays where his 2nd-assist was probably more crucial to the goal scored than the primary assist or the goal-scorer himself. On the other hand, we've all seen lots of secondary assists awarded when the D-man pushes the puck 1 meter ahead to a winger inside their defensive zone. It's sort of silly that the D-man ends up with the same scoring points as the goal-scorer.

Nenikoj

May 18, 2017
edit:

Since my thread was moved and I figured everything out I decided to edit my original post.

Just for fun I wanted to see how the top 50 scorers would look if the point system was 3pts for a goal, 2pts for 1st assist, 1pt for 2nd assist

edit x2: updated chart to include the difference in points and PPG, http://i.imgur.com/mZMHtEl.jpg
Very interesting. I see you have the net difference. How about adding in a column which reflects the ratio between 321 points and actual points?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Interesting that most here simply accept the premise that a goal is exponentially more valuable than an assist. Do you guys actually think Ovechkin was much better than Crosby during his prime? Or that Brett Hull was more valuable than Gretzky and Lemieux for several seasons? I think the fact that almost all GMs put a premium on playmaking, responsible centres is telling.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
I never understood why we are using the current system. It doesn't make sense that if you want to combine goals and assists into one system, that you would give the same importance to assists and goals, specially since there is a possibility of 2 assists per goal and an average year after year of roughly 1.8 assists/goal.

And why is it 2 assists and not 1 or 3 or 4? The 2 assists system is pretty random tbh. Yes, sometimes the 2nd assits is more important than the first, but that can also be said for the 3rd/4th assist in a lot of situations like when a defenseman does a great and difficult pass, just to see forwards do a bunch of much easier passes in offensive zone. By giving 2 assists you without a doubt give points that aren't as important as goals and good primary assists on a constant basis.

If they really want to keep the points system imo, it would be much better to switch to a system similar to what is described in this thread, or just drop the 2nd assist and only keep one like in other similar sports (who don't mix in goals with assists btw, and keep them as seperate, and while good passers are always highly regarded in other sports, goals are always considered more important).

Also, there is no denying that it is much harder to score goals than it is to pass the puck. You don't need to be genius to realize that just by analyzing what needs to be done to achieve both. And if you are not convinced, just look at the stats of how many players had 50 goals seasons VS how many players had 50 assists seasons for example, same with 60,70,80,90,100, etc.

Last edited:

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
Interesting that most here simply accept the premise that a goal is exponentially more valuable than an assist. Do you guys actually think Ovechkin was much better than Crosby during his prime? Or that Brett Hull was more valuable than Gretzky and Lemieux for several seasons? I think the fact that almost all GMs put a premium on playmaking, responsible centres is telling.

There is no doubt in my mind than a goal is more important than an assist, just by the fact that there is an average of ~1.8 assists per goal, so yes, it is much less impressive to get X assists in an season than to get X goals. You can passe the puck as many times as you want, if nobody manage to put it pass the goalie, you don't get any points on the scoreboard. Btw, Gretzky and Lemieux had pretty solid goal scoring seasons ON TOP of having insane amount of assists.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
There is no doubt in my mind than a goal is more important than an assist, just by the fact that there is an average of ~1.8 assists per goal, so yes, it is much less impressive to get X assists in an season than to get X goals. You can passe the puck as many times as you want, if nobody manage to put it pass the goalie, you don't get any points on the scoreboard. Btw, Gretzky and Lemieux had pretty solid goal scoring seasons ON TOP of having insane amount of assists.

I don't think there is much real evidence to suggest that a goal is worth more than an assist towards a team's success, or that a player with a greater percentage of goals is a better player than another player with the same point totals but a higher percentage of assists. Many of the game's greatest players have been primarily setup men, Gretzky in particular. Gretzky made the conscious decision midway through the 80s to focus less on scoring and more on passing because he thought that such a strategy would help his team more.

Hockey is not like basketball with an open hoop where 99% of great players want to take the shot...it is much more akin to scoring in American Football. Should a Quarterback's touchdown pass be worth 1/2 or 1/3 as much as a receiver's touchdown catch?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I don't think there is much real evidence to suggest that a goal is worth more than an assist towards a team's success, or that a player with a greater percentage of goals is a better player than another player with the same point totals but a higher percentage of assists. Many of the game's greatest players have been primarily setup men, Gretzky in particular. Gretzky made the conscious decision midway through the 80s to focus less on scoring and more on passing because he thought that such a strategy would help his team more.

Hockey is not like basketball with an open hoop where 99% of great players want to take the shot...it is much more akin to scoring in American Football. Should a Quarterback's touchdown pass be worth 1/2 or 1/3 as much as a receiver's touchdown catch?

It is by definition less valuable since you get 1.8 assists on average scored per goal. What if tertiary assists were counted? Quarternary? Every player touching the puck before a goal in succession getting an assist? Are assists still as valuable then?

You might as well say there's any real evidence to suggest +/- is less valuable than goals scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->