OT: House of Dragon - Ring of Power (Other Shows & Potential Spoilers)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If this thread isn’t appropriate feel free to delete it.

I wanted to make a thread of some powerhouse shows that are kicking off right now.

How do you guys like them ?

I like house of dragon a lot. I thought last episode was pretty boring and I think sometimes they’re a bit too much with the sexual aspect of it being too much. Added nothing to the episode. I like the Prince, the King is okay, the daughter is fine too. I think the prince is the best part of the show. Overall the show has a lot of interesting characters.

Ring of Power… where to begin? I think Galadriel is written so poorly and her acting is bringing the show down. I think in LOTR they made Galadriel look very powerful without having to constantly shove it down your throat that she’s such a powerful person and for some reason a warrior?

Harfoots. Boring as f***.
Galadriel extremely easy to dislike
Elrond is okay.
I like the Dwarves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I love the House of Dragons. Freaking love it! The sex on GoTs has always been a bit over the top and not 100% necessary -- but i don't mind ;)

RoP -- idk but so far a bit disappointed. It's alright and i'm enjoying it. But maybe i had higher expectations due to LoTRs. It does feel like they are trying extra had to be more "inclusionary" (i'm not going to say "woke" -- dang it, i said it).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I didn’t realize the guy who plays a young Elrond also played young Ned Stark.

I think HOD is the better show so far but it’s certainly nice to start the weekend off with one show and finish with the other after a long weekend of football.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
That whole scene with young Ned Stark and the close up of his newly born nephew baby turning fading into the grown John Snow and then ultimately ending with the Northerners meeting chanting "King in the North" (proceeded by with Lady Mormont's speech of course) was maybe my favorite scene from the GoTs show.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm enjoying both shows. For me it just depends on how you view each of them. Either way we know in the end how each series at least cinematically ends. I view the Rings of Power as a fantasy adventure series. House of the Dragon is a fantasy drama series. I never read the Silmarillion or any of GRRM's books, so I really don't care much about the accuracy when compared to the literature. Am I entertained or not is essentially what keeps me watching.

The first episode of The Rings of Power was slow and I could see how people would just quit after that. However the second episode was much more engaging so now I'm in for the long haul. The fact that it's an absolutely gorgeous show does make a difference for me. The liberties that they've taken with some of the characters I'm not too concerned about. Since the versions that we're seeing on this show are like 5,000 years younger than the movie versions. Bust the fact that they cannot legally tell the exact Silmarillion stories means they have to diverge somewhere and I'm fine with it. The woke narrative is just stupid to me for this.

The House of the Dragon is more of the same of the good parts of Game of Thrones. At least so far. I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy a show that is so specific to a single house, but there's enough drama and intrigue with the political infighting amongst the Targaryens to make it worthwhile. Since this is based on a fully fleshed out and completed story, I'm sure it's going to maintain its quality. I'm curious to see when the time jump occurs and the two female leads change.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Man house of dragon is such a slow drag that after the entire episode basically dedicated to the pleasure house made me lose interest. An entire episode dedicated to nothing.

Ring of power is so beautiful in the cinematography. Almost everything thing about it screams LOTR. But my god the acting and writing is so bad. Galadriel is so dislikable. Arondir and the lady I forgot her name storyline is so boring. Harfoots are extremely boring. Galadriel has zero depth and is just a hard headed idiot.

Only interesting story so far is Elrond and Durin. But the show aesthetically is gorgeous.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm fine with where Galadriel's character is at this point. Because when you're immortal she's basically a teenager in elf years. It's thousands of years later before she turns into the Galadriel from the Lord of the Rings. I agree though, most of the cinematography is just gorgeous. Especially the shots where a prisoner is presented to a room full of orcs.

I was fine with that House of the Dragon episode. I think it's leading as to where we know where this is going with her relationship with Daemon. Really going to be interested to see how the time jump changes things tomorrow. I like Olivia Cooke so I'm looking forward to it even though the other actress did a good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad