Houle vs Bergevin

Which is the worst GM in the Habs history?

• Total voters

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bergie isn't done yet, and we went from contender to pretender in just 2 seasons. Says a lot doesn't it. Remember his first season he did almost nothing outside of prust, cube and murray. Do those look like the talent we needed to make the next step. I don't think so.
well when he trades a bunch of Hall of Fame players for scrubs...this comparison would be more apt IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He may have already.
Who?

Subban? Sergachev?

It's a bit premature to be calling PK Subban a future Hall of Fame player, never mind calling Weber a scrub...if Subban gets in, so will Weber.

That that cancels itself out.

You already prepared to call Sergachev a future Hall of Famer and Drouin a scrub?

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Who?

Subban? Sergachev?

It's a bit premature to be calling PK Subban a future Hall of Fame player, never mind calling Weber a scrub...if Subban gets in, so will Weber.

That that cancels itself out.

You already prepared to call Sergachev a future Hall of Famer and Drouin a scrub?
Did Sergachev play last night? I didn't watch much of the Tampa NJ game but when I did I was looking and listening for a glimpse or mention of Sergachev. But every time I looked all I saw was Hedman out there. I had to look up the Bolts roster just to find out what number Sergachev wears.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think Houle does worse if he had the budget and no pressure from management like Bergey has.
You don't think a guy, who according to many here, was essentially a beer salesman, installed as a GM by a puppet master...would do worse as a GM?

A guy with no formal training in scouting or running hockey operations for a team, at any level, period?

I don't know Kriss E...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Did Sergachev play last night? I didn't watch much of the Tampa NJ game but when I did I was looking and listening for a glimpse or mention of Sergachev. But every time I looked all I saw was Hedman out there. I had to look up the Bolts roster just to find out what number Sergachev wears.
Yeah he did play...got into a skirmish with Brian Boyle.

Boyle is taking some heat today because he was threatening to "kill him" and the cameras caught it.

I think I heard/read that Sergachev had elbowed Blake Coleman earlier in the game and Devils players weren't happy.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The sad truth is, if Houle traded for Ranford after trading Roy, so Thibault wasn't alone, I think the Canadiens make the final in 96. Now, they likely lose and it's remembered as worse than just losing Roy but getting beat by him, but maybe Molson doesn't trade everyone knowing the team is still a contender.

So many stupid teams in 96 afraid to spend money after the 95 lockout. Go look back at how much the Ducks paid for Selanne in 96. You could get a future hall of fame for peanuts if you just opened up your checkbook.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I don;'t know if alot of posters remember that before Houle and the Roy trade, there was a lot of talk that Serge Savard was looking to trade Roy as well.

The rumoured Roy trade under Savard was supposedly Roy for Fiset and Owen Nolan, which would of been a hell of a lot better return than Houle got. Plus we wouldn't of had to give up Mike Keane (who may of been on his way out anyway), but we could of gotten more return for him as well.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Bergie isn't done yet, and we went from contender to pretender in just 2 seasons. Says a lot doesn't it.
It says that MB first 3-4 years were ok?

Houle is clearly the 2nd worse GM of all time the Habs have had. No, MB is not the worse.

People saying Houle had his hands tied need to look at the trades and moves he did.

Where are the good cheap prospects in return? Where are the good picks?

None. Add to that...

Trading a 1st for a washed up Linden is to save money?? Give me a break.

All these excuses are being said because people LIKE Houle as a person.

Imagine if MB traded PK for Jeff Petry. Imagine if he traded Sergachev for Stastny. That, is Houle lvl.

People need to take a deep breath and look at this with logic not anger.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
All this talk about Houle having an excuse because he had to cut costs...which may be true but...

Picking pretty much all busts with his 1st round picks had nothing to do with cutting costs...unless you are saying he was specifically picking busts so he doesn't pick players who would become expensive later, lol. (FYI, Matt Higgins, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinourd, 1999th 1st pick traded, Marcel Hossa and Ron Hainsey)

Trading Scott Thornton for Lind was a cost cutting measure?

And for trading his high cost vets, he also threw in Darcy Tucker in with the trade of Richer for virtually all scrubs...

And...last I checked, trading Roy had nothing to do with cutting costs....

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
All this talk about Houle having an excuse because he had to cut costs...which may be true but...

Picking pretty much all busts with his 1st round picks had nothing to do with cutting costs...unless you are saying he was specifically picking busts so he doesn't pick players who would become expensive later, lol. (FYI, Matt Higgins, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinourd, 1999th 1st pick traded, Marcel Hossa and Ron Hainsey)

Trading Scott Thornton for Lind was a cost cutting measure?

And for trading his high cost vets, he also threw in Darcy Tucker in with the trade of Richer for virtually all scrubs...

And...last I checked, trading Roy had nothing to do with cutting costs....

Well it had everything to do with cutting costs.
Since they completely gutted the scouting staff (both Pro and Amateur) to lower their operating expenses, then later on they started to share the farm with Edmonton, again to cut costs.
Rebuilding the scouting dep and taking back control over the farm didn't happen until Gillett took over the team.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The cool thing about this thread is we can see Houle defenders are still around after all those years XD

I don't think there is such a thing as a Houle defender. I never heard anyone claiming Houle was a good GM. Heck, I don't think I've heard an adjective remotely close to "mediocre" when it come to Houle. Because he wasn't.
The "Houle era" is factually the worst era the Habs went through.

The real question is how much of the shit that went on during the "Houle era" is actually directly imputable to Houle. Acting like Houle just woke up one morning and went on a crazy purge just for shit and giggles sure make a good story, but it's not really what happened isn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: ItzaGreat

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
I don't think there is such a thing as a Houle defender. I never heard anyone claiming Houle was a good GM. Heck, I don't think I've heard a adjective remotely close to "mediocre" when it come to Houle. Because he wasn't.
The "Houle era" is factually the worst era the Habs went through.

The real question is how much of the **** that went on during the "Houle era" is actually directly imputable to Houle. Acting like Houle just woke up one morning and went on a crazy purge just for **** and giggles sure make a good story, but it's not really what happened isn't it?

Ronald Corey was pulling the strings the strings all along...

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Since they completely gutted the scouting staff (both Pro and Amateur) to lower their operating expenses, then later on they started to share the farm with Edmonton, again to cut costs.
Rebuilding the scouting dep and taking back control over the farm didn't happen until Gillett took over the team.
The fact that Houle sucked has nothing to do with cutting cost because it is possible to cut cost and to do it well.

Right now, the fact that Houle needed to cut cost is used as an excuse because he is a likable person and it is not the cause of sucking as bad as he did.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
He probably asked for the Carbonneau trade but that is no readon to trade him for, if my memory serves me well, Jim Montgommery.

Another excuse to save Houle’s crappiness.

I can't see a world in which Rejean Houle smooth-talks Ronald Corey into signing off this deal.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

#thelasttimemolsonsownedlecanadien

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The fact that Houle sucked has nothing to do with cutting cost because it is possible to cut cost and to do it well.

Right now, the fact that Houle needed to cut cost is used as an excuse because he is a likable person and it is not the cause of sucking as bad as he did.

Houle wasn't cutting costs, Molson Co. was cutting costs.

It was a business owning a business and nothing was done in the "best interest of the team" nor intelligently for that matter.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Considering the assets he had, Bergevin is actually one of the worst GMs in history.

No other GM has done so little with Norris+Vezina winners both in their prime. Hes actually managed to turn a potential contender into a bottom feeder.

Both are awful, so I didnt vote.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
The sad truth is, if Houle traded for Ranford after trading Roy, so Thibault wasn't alone, I think the Canadiens make the final in 96. Now, they likely lose and it's remembered as worse than just losing Roy but getting beat by him, but maybe Molson doesn't trade everyone knowing the team is still a contender.

So many stupid teams in 96 afraid to spend money after the 95 lockout. Go look back at how much the Ducks paid for Selanne in 96. You could get a future hall of fame for peanuts if you just opened up your checkbook.

I would have loved to get a good goalie somehow , but knowing Houle, and his brutal track record, Ranford would've cost more than the scraps we got for Roy.

I always maintained that, should Roy demand to be traded, you should have sent him to Hartford for their next 3-4 1st round draft picks and Sean Burke to fill the goalie position for a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->