Book Feature Houghton: The Birthplace of Professional Hockey (by William Sproule)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In Andrew Holman's new book A Hotly Contested Affair: Hockey in Canada, it says that the IHL was known for its rough play. Which of course is in line with the wider opinion in Canada on professional hockey in the early days. How did the American public and newspapers (local or regional) view the IHL and professionalism? Did you find many comments or articles expressing similiar views or was this a minor issue for the opinion makers south of the border?

Bill Sproule

Feb 7, 2021
Dan Mason made an fascinating presentation a few years ago at a SIHR meeting on how the Canadian press and U.S. press covered the IHL. The Canadian press wrote more about the rough play whereas the U.S. press wrote more about the exciting brand of hockey and didn't write about the rough play. Some felt that the Canadian press did not want to see Canadian players head to the U.S. to play professional hockey and wrote articles to discourage it.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Dan Mason made an fascinating presentation a few years ago at a SIHR meeting on how the Canadian press and U.S. press covered the IHL. The Canadian press wrote more about the rough play whereas the U.S. press wrote more about the exciting brand of hockey and didn't write about the rough play. Some felt that the Canadian press did not want to see Canadian players head to the U.S. to play professional hockey and wrote articles to discourage it.

I guess it´s possible that Canadian press tried to "throw mud" towards IPHL. Can´t say I would have seen much of evidence of that though. Sometimes got the feeling that the treatment was similar than eastern Canadian press sometimes had to PCHA. Act like it didn´t even exist.

Though I don´t know if agree with the theory that US press did not cover the roughnes of the IPHL. Ofcourse I do not have all the newspapers available, but atleast in Pittsburgh newspapers it was talk of almost every game.

One example of game report that briefly touches the actual game and is most about the roughnes that occured.
The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search

Bill Sproule

Feb 7, 2021
I guess it´s possible that Canadian press tried to "throw mud" towards IPHL. Can´t say I would have seen much of evidence of that though. Sometimes got the feeling that the treatment was similar than eastern Canadian press sometimes had to PCHA. Act like it didn´t even exist.

Though I don´t know if agree with the theory that US press did not cover the roughnes of the IPHL. Ofcourse I do not have all the newspapers available, but atleast in Pittsburgh newspapers it was talk of almost every game.

One example of game report that briefly touches the actual game and is most about the roughnes that occured.
The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search
Thank you...good additional insights. The newspapers in the Upper Peninsula (Calumet, Houghton, and Soo Michigan) wrote more on the excitement of the games and not much about the roughness.

Reactions: Sanf

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
In terms of motivation, were the team owners trying to make money, did they want something to keep people occupied when they were off work or was this an ego thing about building the best team and beating local rivals?

Bill Sproule

Feb 7, 2021
In terms of motivation, were the team owners trying to make money, did they want something to keep people occupied when they were off work or was this an ego thing about building the best team and beating local rivals?

I believe that the IHL owners looked at it as opportunity to make money.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Here's a direct link to the book on the university site: HOUGHTON THE BIRTHPLACE OF PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY | Michigan Tech University Images

My only concern is that it's asking me for $50 in shipping (to Canada). Is there anyway I can get this without paying twice the cost of the book in shipping fees? I've always found this topic neat, and would love to get a look at the book, but that's a bit much.

Consider me among those who are very interested in getting this book but not interested in paying US$50 to have it sent to me.

And if you're waiting for one to turn up used, I think you'll be waiting a while, because, well, someone has to buy it at this cost, and then give it away. Don't see that happening.

I took a look and they charge US$50 for shipping no matter how many copies you get. So even 8 copies is still US$50.

I would be interested in spearheading an effort to get this book sent to me in bulk and then sending to all interested canadian parties (prepaid, of course).

It would cost US$70 for one person to get this bool by themselves.

But, two people and it's just US$90 total, plus the $5 to send to a fellow canadian. that's about US$48 a person.

If five people went in together... it comes down to US$35 a person.

If we got ten... gets it to under US$30 per person.

Anyone want in?

Reactions: kaiser matias

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Consider me among those who are very interested in getting this book but not interested in paying US$50 to have it sent to me.

And if you're waiting for one to turn up used, I think you'll be waiting a while, because, well, someone has to buy it at this cost, and then give it away. Don't see that happening.

I took a look and they charge US$50 for shipping no matter how many copies you get. So even 8 copies is still US$50.

I would be interested in spearheading an effort to get this book sent to me in bulk and then sending to all interested canadian parties (prepaid, of course).

But, two people and it's just US$90 total, plus the $5 to send to a fellow canadian. that's about US$48 a person.

Anyone want in?

I like the idea, and if we can get it to a reasonable price (which I'm open to interpretation), I'd be down.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Bill Sproule will talk about his book tomorrow, January 4, 7 PM Eastern Time in a Zoom conversation hosted by John Lokka. If you want to watch the talk live, please contact John by mail ([email protected]) so that he can give you access.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Anyone want in?

I'm in and it has me interested to back back and re read Stephen Harpers Book A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & the Rise of Professional Hockey which I unfortunately don't have any more.

Reactions: seventieslord

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm in and it has me interested to back back and re read Stephen Harpers Book A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & the Rise of Professional Hockey which I unfortunately don't have any more.

Good to hear. I believe that is four of us. Which isn't bad. The reason this hasn't gone anywhere just yet is because we have a fellow sihr member who has advised us to wait and see if there is a spring meeting because if there is he will pick them up personally for us and then send them out. That right there saves the $50 of getting them all shipped.

However, I do really want to read this relatively soon so if it turns out that there's no spring meeting I would like to move forward with the original plan with as many interested parties as we have at the time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Good to hear. I believe that is four of us. Which isn't bad. The reason this hasn't gone anywhere just yet is because we have a fellow sihr member who has advised us to wait and see if there is a spring meeting because if there is he will pick them up personally for us and then send them out. That right there saves the $50 of getting them all shipped.

However, I do really want to read this relatively soon so if it turns out that there's no spring meeting I would like to move forward with the original plan with as many interested parties as we have at the time.

I'm in either way (my alternate plan was to get a post office box in Blaine and have it shipped there then drive down to get it).

I'm not as interested in that era as some here (but still quite interested) but that Harper book peaked my interest quite a bit and this book sounds excellent as well.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

I'm good however we go, just let me know who I have to send money to, and how much, and when.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
OK, it's just been all but confirmed that there will not be an in-person SIHR meeting this spring, which means we should just go ahead and buy this book as planned. (if you are being tagged in this post, here is some background: this book is US$20 per copy, perfectly reasonably priced. But shipping is US$50. That's bad. But, that price applies to the whole shipment, whether you buy one at a time, or ten. So that means it's advantageous to order as many as possible at one time, and I can send them out to individuals and we'll all share the cost)

currently joining up to save on shipping:

@Habsfan18
@kaiser matias
@wetcoast
@Theokritos

I'm going to divide up the costs perfectly evenly after shipping them out to each individual. I estimate that if just the five of us do this, the final cost will be about CAD$43 per person*, including the cost of me mailing each of you your copy.

If we could find 5 more, the estimated final cost ends up being closer to CAD$38 per person**.

I'm now shamelessly tagging a few people who post regularly in the hockey books thread to get their attention. Hopefully we can get a few of them to join up to get a great historical book at a lower cost.

@tarheelhockey
@JMCx4
@Bondurant
@LeBlondeDemon10
@reckoning
@Boxscore
@nabby12
@Eric Zweig
@ResilientBeast

* US$20X5 for books, US$50 for shipping = US$150 = ~CAD$193 after conversion at visa rate, plus 4X~$6 per book shipped within canada = ~CAD$217

** US$20X10 for books, US$50 for shipping = US$250 = ~CAD$322 after conversion at visa rate, plus 9X~$6 per book shipped within canada = ~CAD$377

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Looks like a great book I got to visit the ice rink there in person, not the original rink of course because of the fire but the current one is open and has a lot of history on display.

If travel ever becomes easier again and anyone is within range of visiting Houghton I recommend it. Like earlier in the thread there was booming copper money so the town has a ton of old America character. Its one of the largest cities in Michigan's upper peninsula but U.P. cities are tiny by world sized comparison. U.P. is a magical land there are waterfalls and old growth forests for hiking driving distance from Houghton and there is a mineral museum that rivals the Smithsonian natural history collection. The town has quite a few fun restaurants and micro breweries. Anyway just wanted to give a shout to the U.P.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
OK, it's just been all but confirmed that there will not be an in-person SIHR meeting this spring, which means we should just go ahead and buy this book as planned. (if you are being tagged in this post, here is some background: this book is US$20 per copy, perfectly reasonably priced. But shipping is US$50. That's bad. But, that price applies to the whole shipment, whether you buy one at a time, or ten. So that means it's advantageous to order as many as possible at one time, and I can send them out to individuals and we'll all share the cost)

currently joining up to save on shipping:

@Habsfan18
@kaiser matias
@wetcoast
@Theokritos

I'm going to divide up the costs perfectly evenly after shipping them out to each individual. I estimate that if just the five of us do this, the final cost will be about CAD$43 per person*, including the cost of me mailing each of you your copy.

If we could find 5 more, the estimated final cost ends up being closer to CAD$38 per person**.

I'm now shamelessly tagging a few people who post regularly in the hockey books thread to get their attention. Hopefully we can get a few of them to join up to get a great historical book at a lower cost.

@tarheelhockey
@JMCx4
@Bondurant
@LeBlondeDemon10
@reckoning
@Boxscore
@nabby12
@Eric Zweig
@ResilientBeast

* US$20X5 for books, US$50 for shipping = US$150 = ~CAD$193 after conversion at visa rate, plus 4X~$6 per book shipped within canada = ~CAD$217

** US$20X10 for books, US$50 for shipping = US$250 = ~CAD$322 after conversion at visa rate, plus 9X~$6 per book shipped within canada = ~CAD$377

Thanks for doing all the math. $43 or whatever is well worth it for something like this, though of course lower is always better.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad