Houde's 2007 mock draft

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Houde's 2007 mock draft
--------------
1. Patrick Kane
Constant offensive menace. Has the soft hands, elusive one-on-one moves.Has an unmatched set of offensive skills with the puck. Is perhaps the premier stickhandler in the draft. Displays mesmerizing moves and a deceptive shot.A mix of Kovalev hands and Gaborik feet.His lack of size will always be a concern.
Upside : Pavel Bure
Downside : Alexei Kovalev

2. Alexei Cherepanov
He owns soft hands that do damage around the net. Can score spectacular goals, but is also adept at playing the set-up role.
When on his game, he can dominate.Incredible anticipation and awesome positioning.Is not great without the puck. Hates the
boards but accept to pay the price in front of the net.Stanley cup desire?
Upside : Miroslav Satan
Downside : Viktor Kozlov

3. Kyle Turris
Has nice gears, soft hands, tremendous hand/eye coordination, intelligence and awareness on the ice.A leader on the
ice.Possesses good two-way instincts and playmaking ability. Does anything asked of him. Future captain.
Upside : Keith Primeau
Downside : Mike Sillinger

4. Karl Alzner
Alzner is a big, mobile defenseman who can move the puck while taking care of his own end first. Mature in his game at this stage in his development, Alzner will probally transition to the NHL faster than his peers.
Upside:Mike Komisarek
Downside:Rhett Warrener

5. Logan Couture
Couture was amazing in last year's Ontario Hockey League playoffs as a 16-year old. He has been just good, not great, early in this season with 5 assists and 0 goals in 5 games. He missed the U-18's with a leg injury, and has been diagnosed with mono. Excellent playmaker.Mental player, plays like Igor Larionov.Not a goal scorer but reliable on defense.
Upside: Igor Larionov
Downside:Jiri Hudler

6. Jakub Voracek
Has a 2-way game similar to a Milan Michalek.
Voracek looks like a clone of Marian Hossa, and has a 2-way game similar to a Milan Michalek. He is the complete offensive package of size, skill, hockey sense, and pure strength. He has been unstoppable in the QMJHL when he drives to the net from the wing. His puck protection is world class.
Upside:Eric Lindros
Downside:Josef Vasicek

7. Sam Gagner
Gagner looks to have that innate sense that all elite offensive threats have. While he lacks a top gear, he possesses an elusive agility and exciting one-on-one moves. A gifted playmaker who is also starting to develop a finishing touch to go

along with a solid two-way game.
Upside:Owen Nolan
Downside: Mike Ribeiro

8. James Van Riemsdyk
Plays the game at a very fast pace and loves the open-ice hit. A great sniper, he has a hard, accurate shot,needs to use it
more. Can often change the course of the game with one shift.
Upside:Jeremy Roenick
Downside:Chad Kilger

9. Nick Petrecki
Not a franchise prospect, but Petrecki is going to be a feared physical presence in the NHL some day. A great skater for a
big man who has a mean streak like no other, but Petrecki will never be an offensive defenseman.Hits like no one else.Good in
his own zone.Works like a horse and never gives up.Blocks shots. A true warrior and a future leader.
Upside:Adam Foote
Downside:Rostislav Klesla

10. Keaton Ellerby
A can't miss mobile d-man.Impressive physical presence, very nasty. He can dish amazing open ice hits.Mishandles the puck at
at times, not very good on power-play. He has to learn how to be effective during penality kill.
Upside:Sheldon Souray
Downside:Kurtis Foster

11.Keven Veilleux
Huge centre.Has progressed way beyond than expected. Quick hands, accuracy and precision of his shots are jaw-dropping.
Understand more and more how to use his huge frame.One of the best eye-hand coordination of the draft.He must improve his
skating and keep using his body.
Upside:Eric Daze
Downside:Martin Podlesak

12.Mark Katic,
This small, elite skating defenseman has shown more of a physical edge this year despite his modest frame.Must overcome his
lack of size and strength in order to make it big in the NHL.Impressive offensive abilities.
Upside:Paul Ranger
Downside:Francis Bouillon

13.Brandon Sutter
Interesting two-way centre.Nice anticipation.High defensive awareness.Quick feet,nice gears.Long reach..but poor puck
protection.Plays like a midget along boards, need to add more muscle.
Upside:Jere Lehtinen
Downside:Ville Peltonen

14.Michael Backlund
A leader, never give up.Huge strong legs.Very intelligent on ice.Effective of pp and pk.Cut to the net like N/A players.Knee
injury is the only reason why he's not in the top5.
Upside:Saku Koivu
Downside:Sami Kapanen

15.Billy Sweatt
Very mature for his age,he always give his 100%.Impressive speed,not scared to use his speed to cut to the net.Impressive
hands, perform a two-way style. He leads by example.He got all the tools to be a dominant nhl player.
Upside:Alexander Semin
Downside: Marek Svatos

16. Zach Hamill
Has exceptional vision and creativity on the ice. His offensive instincts are good but not elite,he's improving slowly his
all-around game.His skating is improving but still below juniors standards. A game breaker, nice set up abilities on pp.Need

to had some grit to his play to be an nhl player.
Upside:Rostislav Olesz
Downside:Pierre Dagenais

17.Angelo Esposito
A bust. Soft,unwilling to pay the price,bad teammate,lazy,over-rated offensive abilities, do not know how to use his
linesmates,selfish on power plays,he relys on his skills only,bring no grit.ECHL superstar at best. Nice speed,impressive
changing gears.. but never uses that in a real game.Scared to be touch.
Upside:Patrik Stefan
Downside:Alexandre Daigle

18.Colton Gillies
He posses impressive leadership. A player you notice every game. Pure elite skating abilities for a guy this size. Wonderfull
reach and nice timing to deliver pain along the boards. Somehow unpolished,he displays solid effort and commitment, but must
play a more simple game.A true warrior that every coach want.
Upside:Mike Knuble
Downside:Stephane Yelle

19.Jonathan Blum
Look slow and bored on ice.Can master the game with his offensive abilities. Mental mistakes are too frequent.Can't clean in front of the net. Will not help his team-mates when there's a cheap shot. Make solid first pass. Does not protect the puck enough.
Upside:Patrice Brisebois
Downside:Andrei Zyuzin

20.Kevin Shattenkirk
Smart defenceman.Decent mobility, nice vision and great anticipation. Great puckhandling abilities. He sneaks closer to the
opposing goal to add extra firepower deep in the offensive zone. Kinda small, needs to add more muscle to contain nhl players.
Upside:Mark Streit
Downside:Mathieu Dandenault

21.James O'Brien
He protects the puck well with his long reach.Can throw himself to block shots.Not very creative but still able to make decent defensive plays. Agility and skating is somehow a question mark, but he's willing to pay the price to make his team win.Can play thru pain.
Upside:Dallas Drake
Downside: Steve Begin

22.Oscar Moller
Undersized,two-way centre. Soft hands and jaw-dropping accuracy.Quite courageous,not scared to bleed or loose tooth.Not always motivated to play hard, but he plays a strong-all around game.
Upside:Eric Cole
Downside:Brandon Bochenski

23.Sergei Korostin
Lazy,bad temper,needs to take more time before taking a shot.. but skilled as hell.A very good skater,uses an effortless stride,strong first-step quickness and agility.Uses multiple gears to intimidate the opponent.very well developed physically. He's selfish and tends to care more about his own stats, rather than the team play.Tends to be on poor terms with teammates
Upside:Nikolai Zherdev
Downside:Stanislav Chistov

24.Maxim Mayorov
Skilled player.Nice size. Elite stickhandling, very accurate shot, while not so hard, very good skating ability, sees the ice very well.Never played in elite russia league. Tends to be lazy,when he isn't scoring goals, he is a very replaceable part.
Upside:Nikolai Zherdev
Downside:Stanislav Chistov

25.Brett Maclean
26.Stefen Legein
27.Akim Aliu
28.Olivier Fortier
29.David Perron
30.Jean-Simon Allard
31.Maxime Tanguay

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Good read.

Just one question, Sheldon Sourray is a horse on the PP, and you wrote Keaton is very similar to him, so how can he not be effective on the PP. Hmm..When I think of Keaton, he reminds me of Tim Gleason.

I'm really intrigued with Bill Sweatt and Brandon Sutter. I hope one is available when the Leafs pick. Brandon looks to be a future captain. Sweatt seems to be a guy who'll be very safe. A guy like Mike Fisher comes to mind when I think of Sweatt. If he can actually provide more offense then Mike Fisher than I'd rate him over a lot of players.

Bang on of Esposito's scouting report. He's too selfish with the puck, but that can be worked on. I dont think he'll be a bust. Atleast not an ECHL calibre player. He's better than most give him credit for.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Good read.

Just one question, Sheldon Sourray is a horse on the PP, and you wrote Keaton is very similar to him, so how can he not be effective on the PP.

I never said he's very similar, i said his upside ceiling.. if he developed way higher than expected, yes, he could be as effective as Souray on pp.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The Turris comparison/upside to Primeau seems odd. Maybe its cuase when I picture Primeau, I see a huge guy but Turris is small. But wouldn't Paul Kariya or Daniel Briere be more appropriate for him?

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Good effort, but this is a bad list....

Most of your comparisons on upside and downside are ridiculous...

I mean how can you compare Alexei Cherepanov to Miroslav Satan as the upside ?! Satan is half the player Cherepanov will be and it's not even close... Upside I say Alexander Mogilny for Cherepanov... :teach:

Your a bit harsh on Esposito as well... Yes this guy is not good as we first thought, but saying that he's a bust at this time... :shakehead

Kyle Turris upside is Keith Primeau ? Sorry, but this makes me laught :eek: Kyle Turis is this year's Jonathan Toews !!

Enough said.....

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
17.Angelo Esposito
A bust. Soft,unwilling to pay the price,bad teammate,lazy,over-rated offensive abilities, do not know how to use his
linesmates,selfish on power plays,he relys on his skills only,bring no grit.ECHL superstar at best. Nice speed,impressive

He wasn't draft yet and you already label him as a bust? Very impressive. WOW.

Good read overall, interesting to learn some about so much prospects, but I think you never saw most of these propsects play, don't you? Maybe I'm wrong...anyway, a mock draft is a mock draft and I like it.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
For Karl Alzner , I couldnt help but think one thing. I think Rhett Warraner is an upside more than a downside, so I thought how funny it would be if we flip the upsides.

Rhett is a very good defenseman. :)

Ok I stop. :)

But I seriously like the list...

Oh and can you fill me up on Hitmen's Alex Plante? I've heard good things about him but never seeen him play. If you know anything about him I'd really appreciate it.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Esposito's upside is Stefan? Even if you think he's a bust, his "upside" still is high as of right now.

I agree with what you said about him though.

OilerOlli*

Wonder why he chose Esposito as #17 by only saying negative things about him.

OilerOlli*

"4. Karl Alzner

Downside:Rhett Warrener"

WHAT???

GSK*

"4. Karl Alzner

Downside:Rhett Warrener"

WHAT???

If is upside are like Komisarek's upside... Its pretty cool for him.

Komisarek is very, very above average in his own, mean streak, first d-men in the league for hits, among the first for blocked shots, he skate pretty fast for a big guys, can put some point on the scoreboard (4-11-15) he is +5 while he is playing always against the other team'S first line. And trust me +5 in Montreal is awesome every player are in the minus.

So if Alzner upside is Komisarek I don't know why you are so upset... And Warrener is a good defensive d-men. (Not close to Komisarek though and a lot older).

Voracek20

Mar 4, 2007
bang on the esposito remarks but I would have to say his upside is closer to JP dumont type player

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
If is upside are like Komisarek's upside... Its pretty cool for him.

Komisarek is very, very above average in his own, mean streak, first d-men in the league for hits, among the first for blocked shots, he skate pretty fast for a big guys, can put some point on the scoreboard (4-11-15) he is +5 while he is playing always against the other team'S first line. And trust me +5 in Montreal is awesome every player are in the minus.

So if Alzner upside is Komisarek I don't know why you are so upset... And Warrener is a good defensive d-men. (Not close to Komisarek though and a lot older).

I think everyone would want a little more out of their 4th overall pick.

Drafting a Komisarek/Warrener clone would be great, if you were picking them later in the draft.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Yeap. He's mostly dead on with the scouting reports, but I have issues with the player comparisons too.

A good read, nonetheless.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
good try ... but comparisons seem a little wacky.. Kane like Bure ???? Kane seems a play making where Bure was a finisher. on't thing styles compare. Don't see how other people compare either

Maybe if you're talking about their stature in the game rather than playing styles ...

If Kane has Kovalev hands and Gaborik speed then he is a true superstar of maybe Crosby-like dimensions. Seems a bit hyberbolic.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Biggest thing that caught me was Voracek upside Lindros. Lindros before injuries in his prime or what you can consider his prime was one of the most dominant players ever to play the game. I agree with others good analysis of players but comparisons are quite strange to say the least.

STAALing

Aug 30, 2006
17.Angelo Esposito

Man, you surely think that Esposito is complete s**t. He basically cannot do anything good, plus someday he will miss an empty net on a breakaway (and that's if he hits his upside). Why are you still picking him at #17 of the first round ?

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
It's because he is lacking size.

If he would be 195 lbs, he would be near Crosby IMO.

good try ... but comparisons seem a little wacky.. Kane like Bure ???? Kane seems a play making where Bure was a finisher. on't thing styles compare. Don't see how other people compare either

Maybe if you're talking about their stature in the game rather than playing styles ...

If Kane has Kovalev hands and Gaborik speed then he is a true superstar of maybe Crosby-like dimensions. Seems a bit hyberbolic.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i think you are being very kind with the downsides. everyone exept veilleux has a downside equal to a regular nhl'er or a former nhl regular. and why exactly do you think veilleux has the worst downside.

why would you use the #17 pick on someone you think will not even make the AHL. if you feel he's that bad then you should say that if it was up to you he would go undrafted.

other then the compairsons its not really a terrible list. and you probably used a lot of time on this so i dont like to just go out and bash it completely. just think a little bit more about who you compare them to next time and im sure you list will be very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad