2023 MIA 1st
2023 LAC 1st (pick swap)
2024 LAC 1st
2024 HOU 1st
2025 HOU 1st (pick swap)
2025 LAC 1st (pick swap)
2026 HOU 1st
2026 LAC 1st

That’s actually a decent haul, they just need 2 of those picks to pan out into star players.

On a different note did Westbrook really get that bad last year?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That’s actually a decent haul, they just need 2 of those picks to pan out into star players.

On a different note did Westbrook really get that bad last year?

Its not that he got bad, in fact he average a triple double for the 3rd straight year and was named to the All NBA 3rd team.

Its that the team is going to be rebuilding and at his age, he still has some good years left in him. So its doesnt make sense for him to toil on a bad team when he could be helping another team win a title, his contract also runs 1 year longer than CP3's so theres that too. After they decided to blow it up and trade PG, it was only a matter of time before Westbrook was going to be gone next and he wanted to be on a competitive team.

While he is super competitive, I dont think he'd of been pissed if they kept him but they owed it to him to try and find him a new home and with a 40 million dollar salary, this was one of the few scenarios it was going to work.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The best seven teams in the West are so far above the rest that there will probably plenty of time for load management. Seeding is not that important when the teams are this equal.

Beyond those 7 teams, San Antonio made the playoffs last year and have improved. Sacramento is a team on the rise and looking to take another step forward. The Pelicans, with Zion, Jrue and a bunch of young guys with a chip on their shoulder won't be an easy win, neither will Dallas with Luka and Porzingis.

The only "easy" teams would be Phoenix, Memphis, OKC and Minnesota.

The West is significantly better than the East was last year, both in the top and bottom half.

So with Kawhi, it'll be a lot more difficult to give him 20 games off. Plus, you have the fact that the league didn't really care about what was going on up north, whereas this year, the Clippers are, arguably, the NBA's premier team alongside the Lakers. They'll be on national TV every other game, so you can bet Silver won't be all that okay with too much "load management".

With Lebron, take him out of the lineup for 10-15 games, and all of a sudden, the Lakers are last year's Pelicans.

The regular season will be a grind, and the playoffs will be even worse.

Home court and seeding will be important, because every edge is going to matter.

I actually like the Bucks' or 76ers' chances in the Finals because whoever comes out of the West will have already gone through several wars.

It'll be a blast to watch though!

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeCubs

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

also, with westbrook out of OKC the longest tenured player who is still with the team that drafted him is........steph curry. i feel old

Reactions: Voight

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Houston definitely overpaid, and I'm not sure Westbrook is even a good fit next to Harden. There's like, maybe 2 shooters in that starting lineup? Is Morey-ball going away?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The best seven teams in the West are so far above the rest that there will probably plenty of time for load management. Seeding is not that important when the teams are this equal.

If all teams are very close to being equal then wouldn't seeding (home court in playoffs) matter more, not less?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think there's any chance Chris Paul is a member of the Thunder come training camp. They have a **** load of picks over the next six years, if it takes including one or two of those to offload him elsewhere, I'm sure they will do it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
OKC being referred to now as "the greatest dynasty that never was". :laugh:

Seems appropriate....I'm trying to find a hockey comparison.....would it be fair to call them the San Jose Sharks of the NBA? Seemed like they were always primed to take that next step, finally win a title, but it never happened and now they're stripping away parts.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Seems appropriate....I'm trying to find a hockey comparison.....would it be fair to call them the San Jose Sharks of the NBA? Seemed like they were always primed to take that next step, finally win a title, but it never happened and now they're stripping away parts.

Current Tampa?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
fb_img_1562947811420-jpg.2259

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Parts? Bruh that thing's been blown the f@#$ up, it's over.

For all that talent, they have a single final appearance to show for it. That's sad and pathetic at the same time.

For OKC, absolutely. They're done, but at least they've got a crapton of picks to look forward to.

I was using San Jose as a reference and they still have SOME core pieces left.

For OKC it's like.....Steven Adams, I guess?

Oklahoma City Thunder Roster

They haven't even added CP3 to their roster page.....no mention of the trade on the team website, either.

So are there more moves to come?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Current Tampa?

Houston = San Jose. GM who is always big-game hunting, somehow accumulating star players over the course of two decades. Both teams have almost gone all the way, but haven't quite gotten there yet.

Tampa could end up being that OKC team, although we've kept all of our stars. I'd be really sad to lose Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, etc with nothing to show for it.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
The Sharks during the Dan Boyle era are comparable.
He left and they tanked only for that next season, then they drafted Timo Meier and have now built a new(ish) core capable of contending.

Cp3 and Jimmy Butler on the same team is asking for trouble....but who knows if it works they could make the playoffs pretty easily.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Parts? Bruh that thing's been blown the f@#$ up, it's over.

For all that talent, they have a single final appearance to show for it. That's sad and pathetic at the same time.
A mighty dynasty will rise from the ashes of this forsaken team. The league will wish OKC had won a title and kept their guys, so as not to have to face what's coming. Just kidding lol :laugh: , would be a cool story line though.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't like it for Houston. Paul is a better defender and more efficient scorer.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Will make a good 30 for 30.

As for the bolded, yeah, aside from their main superstar leaving in free agency it's not a bad comparison although the Thunder got to the Finals pretty quickly, it took the Sharks about 10 years and a lot of heartbreak with Thornton to finally get there. Maybe those Lindros-led Flyer teams? They got to the Finals when Eric was 24 and never made it back with that core despite being a yearly contender.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Not a bad comparison but at one point the Thunder had the 2nd best player in the league + another top 10 player + a top 20/25 player / 6th man of the year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad