Speculation: Hot Takes on where each team will rank in the Pacific Division this season...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Well that may still change as the summer goes on and all the rosters change across the league and I fiddle with all the stats inputs.

Really I just want to have a predicted order set in place by opening day of the season and see how accurate my order is to the actual season results.

No doubt I'll get some right and many wrong. :)
It’s a Turkey shoot for sure to say the least. I think San Jose will suck ,Calgary might need to think about a rebuild. Vancouver is a crapshoot for sure

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Obviously any team with an elite offence will give our undermanned D fits, but we still have to get through Tampa Bay if we want any of this to matter so why not use them as the example when there are a dozen other teams with elite offence. If you think our goaltending is going to be top third this year, well, thats interesting.

Last year our D was definitely more puckmovers than defensive guys, but now we're Toronto 2 years ago. All puckmovers except whoever our 3LD is. We have 2 of their top 4 from then and they couldnt survive against elite teams.

Can you name the 10 teams that we have better defence than?

A team plays hockey as a team. Not just our D versus the Tampa Bay Lightning. And as your cherry-picking what you choose that matters any conversation on the matter with you is a waste of my time.

I highly doubt we have the 30th ranked D once the season is over.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Lots of unknowns yet and plenty of variables to consider...

Will Toews be back for the Blackhawks.
Will Kane be banned by the league.
Will Francouz be healthy for the Avs... how about Bishop with the Stars... and will MAF play with the Blackhawks or retire (sounds like he will play).

I'm sure there will be many more roster changes around the league as well... and of course once the season starts it's all about the teams that gel the best and that manage to stay away from the injury bug to key players... which is pretty much a complete unknown and very unpredictable.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think its hard to predict Vegas anywhere then first just based on all success they have had. They pretty much been a machine since they entered the league.

But you have to wonder if they will start dropping a bit moving forward. Not sure it will be this season though.

That team is really weak down the middle, and they have done nothing to address it. Maybe they are counting on Patrick to turn it around but probably not a great bet at this point.

Their goaltending is kinda suspect. Lehners a good goalie but you just wonder if it will fall apart for him at some point.

They do have some pretty good dman and wingers though.

I think they are a worse team than last year though.

Reactions: Dorian2

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
"Mike Smith won't have another Vezina-nominated season."

Ken Holland:

tenor.gif

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers first in our division this year without difficulty, Vancouver will choke as usual third or fourth last and Calgary second last trying for the top pick but failing.

The rest don't matter really.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Here's my tiers:

Knights
Oilers

Kings
Kraken (ceiling due to lack of skilled offensive players and iffy defense corps)
Canucks
Flames
(Both Van and Cgy could move up if goaltending is as advertised)

Sharks
Ducks

Reactions: FlameChampion

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Lots of unknowns yet and plenty of variables to consider...

Will Toews be back for the Blackhawks.
Will Kane be banned by the league.
Will Francouz be healthy for the Avs... how about Bishop with the Stars... and will MAF play with the Blackhawks or retire (sounds like he will play).

I'm sure there will be many more roster changes around the league as well... and of course once the season starts it's all about the teams that gel the best and that manage to stay away from the injury bug to key players... which is pretty much a complete unknown and very unpredictable.
If Kane is banned.....there better be many many more.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Here's my tiers:

Knights
Oilers

Kings
Kraken (ceiling due to lack of skilled offensive players and iffy defense corps)
Canucks
Flames

Sharks
Ducks

I don’t think the oilers are in the same level as the knights. Likely drop off in goal and downgrade at D can bring them way down.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Here's my tiers:

Knights
Oilers

Kings
Canucks
Flames

Sharks
Ducks

Yeah I think the third spot will be interesting to see who grabs it. I suspect that the Central will take both wildcard spots (I assume that the playoff setup is going back to what it was like before Covid).

I think Vancouver has had a pretty good offseason Their forwards look better to me. The defense is a question mark though, probably depends how much they get out of OEL. They also need Hughes to up his defensive game. Demkos a stud though, so that gives them a really good chance.

Flames are generally solid everywhere but they just lack difference makers. I am a bit surprised that they have had such a quiet offseason. Maybe the team just think that Sutter can get more from the group with a full year.

Kings I am not sure on. I think they have had an ok offseason though and I am generally a fan of how they draft. I can see why people think they will challenge for a playoff spot but I can also see why they just will continue to fall short. I think their center depth gives them a chance though in a Pacific that doesnt have much. They have a lot of good prospects and they still have some pretty good vets. I think it really depends how much they get out of the young guys. I dont trust McLellan to get much out of the young guys though personally.

Kraken. I think they have a decent team. Their goaltending will likely be good. They have some good defensemen but they dont really have any top guys. Forwards somewhat lackluster but kinda light down the middle of the ice. I think they will fall short. I also think Hakstol is pretty bad.

I think Vancouver is the better team of the four personally.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Any forward depth advantage you may have had was traded to the Coyotes. Or have you not checked in with your own teams board for a while? Seriously name your teams top 12 forwards so we can do a side by side comparison. I tried but I only got to about your 8 best forwards. After that the rest of your group looks like AHL trash.
Huh we unloaded 3 players that 99% of Nuck fans wanted gone.
Vancouver's 12 forwards
Petey, JT, Brock, Horvat, Pearson, Garland, Hoglander, Podz, Dickenson, Motte, Sutter and Highmore. So who exactly is AHL trash?
McDrai will put up more points than anyone on the Nucks but after that Vancouver looks stronger 3-12 imo.
Hyman, Pool-party, Yams, RNH, Foegle,
Is not better than Horvat, Brock, Garland, Pearson and Hoglander\Podz.

Who is playing in your bottom six? Dickenson, Podz, Sutter, Motte, Highmore and Hoglander is most likely our bottom six, that is better than anything we had last season.
Our goaltending tandem looks better and both teams are hoping the D can do well but both have question marks.
Regardless both teams should be fighting for the Pacific division since I think Vegas will flop with Lehner.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Vancouver's 12 forwards
Petey, JT, Brock, Horvat, Pearson, Garland, Hoglander, Podz, Dickenson, Motte, Sutter and Highmore. So who exactly is AHL trash?
McDrai will put up more points than anyone on the Nucks but after that Vancouver looks stronger 3-12 imo.
yes it is....Pearson is a 3rd liner, Hoglander had a good season in a small sample size...no different than Yamamoto in 2019/20 and "Podz" is unproven at the NHL level
our top 2 centers destroy yours in every team in the league's centers

Who is playing in your bottom six? Dickenson, Podz, Sutter, Motte, Highmore and Hoglander is most likely our bottom six, that is better than anything we had last season.
Our goaltending tandem looks better and both teams are hoping the D can do well but both have question marks.
Regardless both teams should be fighting for the Pacific division since I think Vegas will flop with Lehner.
wait...what? now "Podz" and Hoglander are bottom 6 players to make your bottom 6 look better?
"Podz" is as proven as Holloway and I'll take Holloway over him
Derek Ryan is like Sutter but way better defensively and on the faceoff dot
Motte? meh, Archibald is just as good
Highmore? a few goals in garbage time of the season...whatever...Devin Shore was just as impressive
Foegele>>>>Dickenson

Reactions: Oilhawks

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Vancouver's 12 forwards

I think they're both very close with the crease going to Vancouver. But I think in any discussion that has them close, the McDavid factor has to tip the scale towards Edmonton. Petey is going to be a big wildcard for you guys this year. I still haven't heard much of anything about him. Is he ready to go? What was it that kept him out almost all season that nobody ever talked about on broadcasts? I found it strange that he was never really mentioned last year at all. I still think he could become a top 5 player if he physically matures a bit more and puts on some muscle. Kid just oozes talent and thinks the game at a really high level.

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
Vancouver's 12 forwards

McDavid >>> Petey And I like Pettersson
Drai >>> Boeser
The gap between the top two players on each team is significant.

Hyman < Horvat
Nuge < Miller - Nuge had a terrible season and Miller was great. Traditionally they are close though.
JP < Garland - Garland starts the season as the better player. Who ends the season as the better player?
I do give Vancouver the edge in the 3 to 5 slots. However, the gap here is small or at least a lot closer than the top 2.

Yams = Hoglander - Two young undersized tenacious players who have put up the same PPG in their careers.
Holloway/McLeod = Podz - Neither player should even be gifted a spot on either team and have proved nothing yet.
Foegele > Pearson - Close, but I give the edge to the grittier player here.
Kassian > Dickenson - Kass had a terrible year with injuries and play but has traditionally outclassed Dickenson
Ryan > Sutter
Archibald >/= Motte - Edge to Archibald until Motte can prove otherwise.
Shore > Highmore - Career high 33 points compared to 7.

Honestly, I was being a bit of a dick earlier because you came onto another teams board for no other reason than to call posters homers. On a hot takes thread yet, which would mean people are going to make some wild claims based on gut feelings. Honestly, the Canucks forward group does look decent. But the Oilers top 2 outclasses the Vancouver top 2. Slots 3 to 5 go to the Nucks. But if anything the better depth goes to the oilers on the bottom half of the forward group. And overall the oilers forward group is stronger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Anyone have a link to the same thread of this as last year (rank the Canadian teams)? I'm guessing a lot of people got that very wrong.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think we pass Vegas this year and Vancouver is the surprise team that takes 3rd.

Edmonton
Vegas
Vancouver
LA
Calgary
Seattle
San Jose
Anaheim

I wonder if Larsson would have signed with Seattle if he knew they were going to pick a bad roster. Dredger probably regrets it as well since he probably was led to believe that he’ll be the starter.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
in for retrospect after the season

1. Oilers
2. Vegas
3. Canucks
4. Kings
5. Flames
6. Sharks
7. Kraken
8. Ducks

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Anyone have a link to the same thread of this as last year (rank the Canadian teams)? I'm guessing a lot of people got that very wrong.

i always have trouble finding them, would be nice if we could sticky this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->