Speculation: Hot Takes on where each team will rank in the Pacific Division this season...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
My newest hot take on how the Pacific Division will pan out this season....

I looked at all the current rosters on capfriendly.com for the 8 teams in the Pacific Division and ranked them looking at their current rosters based on their forwards, dmen and goaltending.

These ranks are my subjective opinions (obviously) of where each team is RIGHT NOW... barring any other further roster moves before the season begins (which of course will happen and these rankings could and will possibly change)... but anyway on to my current ranks and hot takes...

I ranked each category for each team "optimistically"... taking into account player performances from last season plus some young players that are coming up the ranks for each team that may have shown reasonably well at the NHL in their cups of coffee/short stints.

I'll be updating this during the summer as teams add/subtract from their rosters and final opening day rosters begin to take shape.

I've now also added my "hot take" looks at the other divisions as well across the NHL and have taken that into account as to how that likely impacts the Pacific Division rankings as well.

So on to the ranks...

Pacific Division

TeamForwards rankDmen rankGoalies rankGoals DifferentialOverall division rank
Golden Knights213+521
Oilers142+352
Canucks335+173
Kraken621+74
Flames476-275
Kings567-366
Ducks758-527
Sharks884-678
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Central Division

Avalanche111+821
Stars247+142
Jets633+143
Blues374+34
Wild465-25
Blackhawks582-96
Predators756-167
Coyotes828-368
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Metropolitan Division

Rangers271+251
Capitals422+242
Hurricanes185+183
Islanders563+114
Penguins714+105
Flyers358-36
Blue Jackets646-147
Devils837-458
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Atlantic Division

Bruins141+581
Lightning223+462
Panthers314+393
Maple Leafs432+324
Canadiens586-195
Red Wings675-266
Senators757-527
Sabres868-838
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
One more BOLD hot take look at the projected Overall NHL standings (and again this still could be subject to change as the rosters take shape throughout the summer)...

TeamOverall NHL Rank
Avalanche1
Bruins2
Golden Knights3
Lightning4
Panthers5
Oilers6
Maple Leafs7
Rangers8
Capitals9
Hurricanes10
Canucks11
Stars12
Jets13
Islanders14
Penguins15
Kraken16
Blues17
Wild18
Flyers19
Blackhawks20
Blue Jackets21
Predators22
Canadiens23
Red Wings24
Flames25
Kings26
Coyotes27
Devils28
Senators29
Ducks30
Sharks31
Sabres32
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So there you have it... cancel your Sportsnet/NHL TV hockey season package as you already know the Pacific division season results as well as the standings for the rest of the divisions and overall for the league as well and tune in to the playoffs in May when the real action begins. :)

Flame away at all those ranks if you like or better yet man up and post your own ranks and take a stand instead of just throwing out whiny, bitchy complaints and criticisms at others that actually put it on the line and make predictions. :)

Last edited:

russianoiler

Jun 22, 2016
Russia
Knights
Oilers
Canucks
Flames
Kraken
Ducks
Sharks
Kings

I think Vegas win Pacific.
Oilers, Canucks, Flames & Kraken fight for play-off (oilers & canucks favorites)
Ducks, Sharks, Kings rebuild

Reactions: ujju2

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

I looked at all the current rosters on capfriendly.com for the 8 teams in the Pacific Division and ranked them looking at their current rosters based on their forwards, dmen and goaltending.

These ranks are my subjective opinions (obviously) of where each team is RIGHT NOW... barring any other further roster moves before the season begins (which of course will happen and these rankings could and will possibly change)... but anyway on to my current ranks and hot takes...

I ranked each category for each team "optimistically"... taking into account player performances from last season plus some young players that are coming up the ranks for each team that may have showed reasonably well at the NHL in their cups of coffee/short stints.

I basically treated forwards/dmen/goalies as equal asset categories and ranked each team 1 through 8 in each category... then added them all up... and the lowest combined total then gets the top overall rank.

So on to the ranks...

TeamForwards rankDmen rankGoalies rankCombined ranks (less is better)Overall rank
Knights21251
Oilers12472
Canucks43512 (Canucks win tiebreaker with Kraken as they are higher than them in 2 out of 3 ranks)3
Kraken561124
Ducks843155
Flames378186
Kings757197
Sharks686208
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So there you have it... cancel your Sportsnet/NHL TV hockey season package as you already know the Pacific division season results and tune in to the playoffs in April when the real action begins. :)

Flame away at all those ranks if you like or better yet man up and post your own ranks and take a stand instead of just throwing out whiny, bitchy complaints and criticisms at others that actually put it on the line and make predictions. :)
ya not bias at all lol. You actually think the Oilers are better across the board over Vancouver? Demko-Halak is worse than Smith-Koska? Ya put that to a vote.
And sorry but the depth of Vancouvers forwards trumps McDrai.
But tbf, it's only natural to have blinders we all do.

Reactions: JAK and Sinistril

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
ya not bias at all lol. You actually think the Oilers are better across the board over Vancouver? Demko-Halak is worse than Smith-Koska? Ya put that to a vote.

Put your ranks up and see how they rate come season's end.

You're a Vancouver fan so of course you think Canucks forwards are better than the Oilers.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Love how a Canucks fan is hell bent over Pacific Rankings by an Oilers fan in the Oilers Forum. Who invited you anyways?

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
What kind of moron is upset about bias on a teams forum? Only then to post and show his own bias? LOL at the nucks forwards trumping the oilers, stay dumb.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
What about the coaching factor? Ducks would be higher then Eakins sinks them like chopped water. I hear the Sharks coach sucks too

Reactions: oilers'72

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What about the coaching factor? Ducks would be higher then Eakins sinks them like chopped water. I hear the Sharks coach sucks too

Good point... I didn't put coaching and/or management (or quality of fanbase :) ) into my own rankings up above but anyone else is welcome to... and to use that as an input into their overall rankings for each team as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's biased, not bias.

People have a bias, or they are biased. People can't be bias.....

Canucks are bad to be fair.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It's biased, not bias.

People have a bias, or they are biased. People can't be bias.....

Canucks are bad to be fair.

Yep. Very bad. Only thing going for them is Pettersson and Horvat. Without those 2, they would be bottom 5 finishers. Looking at the West Central Division and Pacific, the 3rd place team on the Pacific would probably be like 5th/6th in the West Central. Might be where we only see 3 Pacific teams in the playoffs next year.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think we squeak into a playoff spot. The forwards have improved but the defense is questionable with the additions of Keith and Ceci. As for goaltending, I don't think Smith can replicate his performance last season and Koskinen is Koskinen.

Standings Prediction:

1. Vegas
2. Seattle
3. Vancouver
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary
6. San Jose
7. Los Angeles
8. Anaheim

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think we squeak into a playoff spot. The forwards have improved but the defense is questionable with the additions of Keith and Ceci. As for goaltending, I don't think Smith can replicate his performance last season and Koskinen is Koskinen.
Bouchard is also an addition on D and it could be a very good addition.
He will finally get to prove his worth as a legit top 4 Dman in this league.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Bouchard is also an addition on D and it could be a very good addition.
He will finally get to prove his worth as a legit top 4 Dman in this league.

That's definitely the key on defense (If Bouchard can prove he is top 4. Also if 38 year old Keith can anchor a 2nd pair). I don't trust Ceci to be good on a 2nd pairing. I'm fine with him on 3rd pairing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's definitely the key on defense (If Bouchard can prove he is top 4. Also if 38 year old Keith can anchor a 2nd pair). I don't trust Ceci to be good on a 2nd pairing. I'm fine with him on 3rd pairing.
38 yo Keith was set to anchor the top pairing in CHI if he wasn't traded to EDM. He is a proud guy and is going to give Nurse a run for the money when it comes to being top pairing LHD. Ceci is indeed a question mark so hopefully the pro scouts know what they are doing.
Term and AAV is horrible if he is indeed just a 3rd pairing Dman.

Bouchard needs PP time so ideally he gets 3rd pairing ES mins and top unit PP time. Barrie doesn't need to be in the top unit

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If EP40 is good to go this season I think Vancouver is going to surprise the hell out of people and hang with us and Vegas.

Petersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Demko, Hughes, Garland, Podkolzin. If OEL has any sort of bounce back I think they have a lot of good pieces. I don't know why everyone says they suck ass.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I am much higher on the kings than most. They might not having a good offense but their goaltending and defense is good and with Kopitar and Danault down the middle they will be a frustrating opponent for most teams.

I could see them winning in the same manner as the Islanders where they grind out 2-1 wins and finish near a playoff spot. I don't see them as a playoff team but i don't see them as a bottom feeder either.

I see the division as...

1 - Vegas
2 - Edmonton
3 - Vancouver
4 - Kings
5 - Flames
6 - Ducks
7 - Seattle
8 - San Jose

Reactions: JBear

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agree with much of the ranking in the OP but don't see the Kraken being that high on the basis of where are the goals, production coming from and this is not even an elite D assemblage. Gio going there on last legs. Larsson always being one shift away from another back injury. D can help you in the playoffs, it can't always get you into the playoffs and through regular season. Kraken will have their hands full, even in this division.

Is it possible Kraken are being ranked this high because of the immediate success the Knights had? That Vegas team did a very good job with selections. I'm not sold on who the Kraken went out and got.

heh, maybe I missed some big Kraken signings since free agency. Do they now have OV and Crosby in the lineup?;) How are people ranking them so high?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I ranked each category for each team "optimistically"... taking into account player performances from last season plus some young players that are coming up the ranks for each team that may have showed reasonably well at the NHL in their cups of coffee/short stints.

I basically treated forwards/dmen/goalies as equal asset categories and ranked each team 1 through 8 in each category... then added them all up... and the lowest combined total then gets the top overall rank.

So on to the ranks...

TeamForwards rankDmen rankGoalies rankCombined ranks (less is better)Overall rank
Knights21251
Oilers12472
Canucks43512 (Canucks win tiebreaker with Kraken as they are higher than them in 2 out of 3 ranks)3
Kraken561124
Ducks843155
Flames378186
Kings757197
Sharks686208
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So there you have it... cancel your Sportsnet/NHL TV hockey season package as you already know the Pacific division season results and tune in to the playoffs in April when the real action begins. :)

Your ranking of our defense and especially our goalies is awfully optimistic.

Reactions: CF84 and alphahelix

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get the goaltending rankings. I mean truthfully outside of Seattle the rest of the division is a complete and utter coin toss.

SJ with Reimer and Hill is probably last for me. But the rest who the hell knows. CGY and VAN have goalies that win games. LA has an aging Quick, but Pederson was pretty solid last year. We don't know what we have and Vegas truthfully could be in trouble. Lehner had issues due to medication he takes that caused weight issues. ANA does have Gibson so on paper they should be better on paper than a lot of teams, but Gibson could very well end up with some of the worse numbers as a starter in the division

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
1. Vegas
2. Edmonton
3. Vancouver
4. Seattle
5. Los Angeles
6. Calgary