Hot Take: The Avs are not that good

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
They are great but the fans who basically declared them a dynasty already really need to relax.

Not a single Avs fan on these boards said that. If anything, we've been pretty skeptical of all the love the media has given us.

I'll never understand why some people on these boards, and in real life, will outright lie, bend facts, etc, just to take a shot at a group of people. It's so annoying.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
The Avs are a good team and a contender. But this start should be an eye opener for everyone who thought you can already hand them the cup. Not sure where all the hype suddenly came from.

The hype was because the Stars barely beat them in the playoffs with half their team injured and their third string goalie playing. They added some really good pieces over the offseason.

So logically, if we agree that there was a good chance they beat the Stars if healthy, and they've added extra pieces that should make them better than last season, it makes sense that they should be in the top tier of cup favourites.

Hockey isn't always logical like that though so we'll see what happens. But I don't blame people for thinking they should be a top contender this year.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I think they're in the mix for second best team but I think anyone picking them as cup favourites over Tampa is trying to be too clever. And ya I think they're a bit overrated just because they're talked about like a great team and there aren't really any great teams and there's pretty much nothing to pick between them and a few teams in their tier.

When MacKinnon is having an unbelievable game I think they can be a great team, and that happens often enough that it's not unreasonable. But if I'm looking at the average expectations of that roster they're just good for me.

And no this is not an early season hot take, I've been saying this forever.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
While I agree the games against the Kings got ugly, they also had our number last season as well. Quick regains his 2012 form against us for some reason, it easily could have been 4-0 after the first last night. I try not to be pessimistic about small sample sizes, so I don't think you can really say we're "not that good" at this point, as others have pointed out.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Their defense is overrated, young inexperienced players hyped to the moon, Girard especially

Weast

May 16, 2011
They are one veteran 3rd line center away from taking off. Defence is more offensive focused, so defensive laps are to be expected, however, when the bottom 6 is having trouble scoring then have offensive defencemen is useless

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Colorado has always struggled against teams that trap the whole game. LA was a thorn in their side last season too.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The 1st line and Dcore are fantastic. However, depth scoring has been without a doubt the big issue. Our 2nd & 3rd lines have been ass.

The Avs don't play well against the Kings and it was the same exact thing last season.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It's a strange year. They are a very, very good team.

In just the West division alone, you mentioned Vegas is "rolling". They've played 4 games against the Ducks and Coyotes. Took them OT to beat the Ducks (who, IMO, are much much worse than the Kings and Sharks), and the game I watched against the Yotes on Monday they could have easily lost. That game could have gone either way.

The Blues, for example, are 2-1-1 and from our forum you'd think we are 0-4-0. This drama happens at the start of every year and then it sorts itself out.

They are still a hair better than the Knights and Blues I think. They were "overrated" in the sense that 90% of the media has them winning the cup, but they are very good.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The difference between the Avs playing a thursday night game against the Kings in an empty arena vs a big measuring stick game against a top team where they have fire under their asses is quite large i can tell you that much.

No offense to LA but the top teams rarely play their best against teams like this. Mentally from focus/preparation aspect it's just not the same as playing a team that you respect.

If you want to talk about Vegas they lost 3 straight to LA last season all in regulation and i don't think anyone drew any conclusions about that.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man, I nearly forgot what it was like to have a team so bad that a win causes a main board thread about a top contender's ability to get it done :laugh:

Avs are fine, we've played them well over the last few years for some odd reason, their 'weaknesses' are clear and fixable before the trade deadline and that's a good thing. Plus, they won't have to worry about the Kings at that point :P

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gotta say the Saad acquisition doesn't seem to fit what they're trying to do. Not exactly a player that plays with a lot of pace. It really doesn't matter that much until the playoffs which they should be comfortably in. Then they decide if they're going to be the new Capitols or not in the 2nd round.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Gotta say the Saad acquisition doesn't seem to fit what they're trying to do. Not exactly a player that plays with a lot of pace. It really doesn't matter that much until the playoffs which they should be comfortably in. Then they decide if they're going to be the new Capitols or not in the 2nd round.

Passing up on Hall in favor of Saqd was really stupid. I have a feeling they'll miss Zadorovs physicality as well

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Hard to define “that good” so I’ll leave that alone. What I do think is that when I see them ranked as a top 3 cup favorite I think to myself you can go ahead and put your money down on that but there’s no way I would.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I didn't even remember how terrible these early season hot takes and over reactions are. People today are so inpatient that it blows my mind. Just like James Neal was gonna win the rocket last season and the Sabres were gonna win the Cup the year before that. Settle down a bit maybe? It's been like four games.

Are you telling me Toffoli isn't going to win the Rocket?!

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Passing up on Hall in favor of Saqd was really stupid. I have a feeling they'll miss Zadorovs physicality as well
Zadorov wasn't physical lately I don't know why maybe when he tries to hit someone it always result him getting a penalty for being taller than the other guy :laugh: Graves was sadly more physical than him last year.

I'm surprised about Saad though we heard that he was playing in the PK I thought he was a hard working guy but he really seems unengaged and slow. One can hope this is just him adjusting to the system or new team.

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad